Service

Wooju

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
Hello,
I bought my Haibike FS RS abroad last year and it's time for it's service. Can someone recommend any good place in Essex or London?
I found the Fully Charged at London Bridge, Woosh bikes in Southend and The Cycle Company in Chelmsford but I can't find any opinions about their mechanic service. Did anyone use any of those shops or can recommend any other places?
Thanks in advance.
Peter

D

Deleted member 4366

What needs servicing? There's nothing on a bike that isn't easy to sort out yourself. My bike hasn't had a service in 4000miles/2 years and I don't plan to give it one until something needs sorting.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Most cyclists fettle their bikes as they go along, so there's no annual service as such.

Some prep the bike for winter with different tyres or put on mudguards.

Full sus mountain bikes have bearings and bushes which need replacing periodically to keep them operating sweetly.

Not my area, but again I expect most mountain bikers change those when they start to act up.

All this stuff is use rather than time dependent.

A heavily used bike will need more fettling than a lightly used one which makes doing stuff on a time basis not the best approach.

Wooju

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
When i press hard on the pedals, I can hear some creaking noise. I believe the engine is sightly loose and the bolts holding it, will need to be tighten. Also, i have an original chain tensioner which needs adjusting as it's rubbing the chain a bit.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
All pretty simple stuff to do.. If you don't fancy doing it yourself any bike shop will be able to sort it out quickly and cheaply. Do the engine bolts immediately..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
  • :D
Reactions: brightonebikes
I work on the basis that prevention is better than cure. This does not mean performing unnecessary work for the sake of it, just keeping on top of things before they go pop, bang or grrrrsckrack! ...and cost measurably more than they otherwise would.
For example, a square taper crank arm left loose to round itself out could easily be rectified before the arm completely rounds out and a new part is required.
The obvious components like tyres, brake pads, chain and cassette can all be replaced in good time so as not to adversely wear other components (often more expensive components at that), such as wheel rims, disc rotors or front chainrings.
The difficulty I frequently hear is that LBS are not prepared to perform even routine maintenance to bikes that have any kind of electric assist system fitted to them. Even though the areas of the bike requiring maintenance are not related to the motor side of things (just a brake pad change for instance), they are unwilling mainly because if anything on the electric side broke, or was reported not to be working as beforehand, they are simply not equipped with tools, knowledge or suppliers to rectify it.
Surely there is a Haibike dealer not too far away? They will be able to help? All the best with it anyway. Darren

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and Artstu

Related Articles

Advertisers