Shimano Steps E8000 custom charger

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Have been thinking about a Steps bike. But I would like to be able to use my own charger for the battery, just like I do with my Kunteng-build that uses a regular DC-plug.

How is that working with the Steps system? Does it require some handshaking or anything to accept charge or can I just make an adapter and use my own charger (so that I can set the voltage to what I want).

D

Deleted member 22539

Have been thinking about a Steps bike. But I would like to be able to use my own charger for the battery, just like I do with my Kunteng-build that uses a regular DC-plug.

How is that working with the Steps system? Does it require some handshaking or anything to accept charge or can I just make an adapter and use my own charger (so that I can set the voltage to what I want).
Dont shoot me down but what's wrong with the supplied charger that will come with the bike .

D

Deleted member 22539

But surely the battery management sorts all that out to charge the bike to its optimum level
Again im not trying to be awkward with my questions just don't understand why
On a side note wouldn't it also void the warranty

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
These modern systems (Bosch,Yamaha,Shimano etc) really try to stop you being able to do anything to them yourself. This then becomes a right pain in the .... when something goes wrong out of warranty.

The plug that connects my Yamaha charger to the battery broke and a pin connector at the battery sheared off on a bike that is just over three years old.

I know there is plenty of life left in the battery and that the charger is also OK. I hoped the dealer I had bought the bike from would be able to send the battery and charger to Raleigh/Yamaha to have the connectors replaced.

The only option however the dealer I bought it from (who has given me outstanding customer service on all other issues I have had) could give me was to offer to sell me a new battery and charger.

He did say I could try to effect a repair myself. This was the official line from the importer Raleigh.

I am now well on the way to effecting my own very cheap repair documented in another thread in the electric bicycles section headed Yamaha Battery/Charger Problem.

However although I know this problem is symptomatic of our modular throw away society, it does rather dent the green credentials of riding an electric bike with this system to work and back rather than driving a car to then be told that rather than mend a probably circa £20 plug connector they want you to throw away a perfectly good lithium iron battery and charger and buy new ones. Not very green really.

If you were unable (defeat technology) or unwilling to try to repair it yourself you would be stuck or forced to pay for new ones.

• Agree
Reactions: Deere John

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Agree, I thought the Bosch CX was fantastic. But I had various issues, under warranty though. But warranty is soon out! And I would really like to use my own charger(s). And... since I am a DIY'er and like to upgrade/change some items now and then I think a Bafang suits me more. Maybe not as polished system but I think I can live with that if I just can service it easy myself cheap.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If you can wait a while Bafang are close to releasing 2 new torque sensing motors to their range. Same style as Bosch,Yamaha etc., so not suitable for conversions, but I'm sure there are plenty of Chinese companies developing frames to fit them in. Only downside is you will probably have to import it yourself, but I think this will become less daunting in the next 12 months as more quality Chinese manufacturers start to sell direct to the customer.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
If you can wait a while Bafang are close to releasing 2 new torque sensing motors to their range. Same style as Bosch,Yamaha etc., so not suitable for conversions, but I'm sure there are plenty of Chinese companies developing frames to fit them in. Only downside is you will probably have to import it yourself, but I think this will become less daunting in the next 12 months as more quality Chinese manufacturers start to sell direct to the customer.
Yes, I have checked out Bafang M500 and there is absolutely no information, not even from Frey Bikes that seem to be one of their first customer.

But... I don't feel like waiting. I will try this now with my cheap bike and a BBS01, then after 1-2 years we will see how market looks like. If the M500 is good there should be plenty of options then and tested and last but not least, information on forums on how to tackle "improvements" and fixes :) BBS01 is in stock at my LBS, can buy today if I want. But I wait until tomorrow :)