short list

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
got a short list of, raleigh strada e, cube suv hybrid pro and haibike sduro cross.
looking at using for commuting about 5 mile each way with hills, weekends on country roads, cycle trails and around reservoirs etc.
will try them first but would like any views of personal experiences on any of these bikes.
in a perfect world i would like the automatic of the raleigh with the looks of the haibike. the raleigh looks a bit of a bone shaker, roads through town are shocking for commute, would it be any good on light trails? the haibike has derailleurs, which i'm hoping to avoid. would front suspension help on crap roads. the cube looks like a compromise of the other two.

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hi there, if its the 2016 cube suv then this has a bit less oompf then the haibike, this will feel a bit more zippy. on the downside the haibike will have less juice in the battery, still enough though for the distances you mentioned. Front suspension is a must. Do you have a max budget?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
All of the bikes you mention will handle your proposed use easily.

For commuting, you will probably want mudguards, a rack, and lights.

All can be retrofitted, but you may end up with a neater job if you buy trekking style bike which has that stuff factory fitted.

Mudguards, in particular, can be surprising difficult to retrofit neatly.

It's the least favourite job in my local bike shop.

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
after a few months of looking i'm just about there, decided on the cube suv race. decision is mainly based on looks, auto and belt drive. also seem to have smashed by budget, bike comes in at 3 grand. just need to convince the mrs that i will be able to cover the monthly payments with the petrol saved. would also like to check with members that this bike is, a) worth the money, b) suitable for commuting and very light trails and c) very very low maintenance.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Ride may be hard for light trail work but nothing running low tyre pressure and a Suntour NCX suspension seat post won't fix. If you still need more comfort a RS paragon 63mm shock is <EUR200.

Perfect commuter drive system Gates belt + N380 and performance drive.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Loving that Cube, IGH is what does it for me, and I still can't understand why any ebike still comes with antiquated Derraillure gears.

Personally I would swap out the Nuvinci for a Rohloff, I notice that the Cube has Sliding Drop-Out's that also is a plus.

Pity that it does not come with the CX motor, also Belt Drive is fine, but I prefer the flexibility that a Chain offers, more simple to play around with front and rear sprocket sizes if and when required.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
after a few months of looking i'm just about there, decided on the cube suv race. decision is mainly based on looks, auto and belt drive. also seem to have smashed by budget, bike comes in at 3 grand. just need to convince the mrs that i will be able to cover the monthly payments with the petrol saved. would also like to check with members that this bike is, a) worth the money, b) suitable for commuting and very light trails and c) very very low maintenance.
B) almost any ebike will fly over a short commute and light trails. Having front suspension makes it comfortable for that.
C) no bike is very very low maintenance, a bike expected to live a long time and do off road miles will require cleaning,and basic service. And regular use suggests new brake pads, tires etc as required.

Nuvinci hub is simple with good range. Easy to use. Some stories about drive issues, changes to belt design may have fixed this.
Rohlloff is run in at 10,000 miles.
Alfine 8 speed is cheaper.

A)VFM?
New
£1,000 bikes from our advertisers can do the job. Maintaince similar but gears will require more attention.
£2,000 bikes their are some stonking deals around that price, full susp.gear hubs etc.
Home build.
Well for 1,000 it would be hard to beat some new bikes, mid drive kits being £600+ before a bike.
For £2,000 you get a very good frame etc with drive of your choice.

Second hand.
Prebuilt
My quality bikes were secondhand and apart from accident damage just needed normal maintenance, chains and brakes.
Home build.
A thorn with rohlloff hub £1500 ish from eBay plus mid drive would be my choice, thud buster suspension post etc.

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
thanks for the replies, saw the 2016 model at all terrain cycles but because of my inability (laziness) to maintain a bike, i will have to buy from my nearest bike shop (only a mile away if i need the seat adjusting etc.) and they don't have the 2016 one. as i don't really understand what sprockets do, let alone change them around, the belt system was a major plus for me. seems this type of bike is made for people like me, i can see how there are a lot cheaper ways of getting a better bike but i will leave that to those of you who know what you are doing.

Reactions: IR772

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
That Cube in Row's Linky ticks all the box's for me, Sliding Drop-Out's and the 2017 version has the CX motor.

Fully rigid is how I like things, I think I may now have found my ideal ebike.

Very nigley compromise for me would be the Belt Drive, and Nuvinci Hub, but I could live with that, untill I get around to fitting a Rohloff and proper chain (Rohloff SLT-99).

Other than that, it's the best ebike that I have come across so far.

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
well, after extolling the virtues of the cube to the mrs, it was pointed out to me that 3 grand would pay for a new 3 piece suite, new carpet, new curtains and soft furnishings. obviously, being the man of the house, i have put my foot down.
the gtech ebike arrives saturday on trial.
just need to ride it up the 12% hill now.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
well, after extolling the virtues of the cube to the mrs, it was pointed out to me that 3 grand would pay for a new 3 piece suite, new carpet, new curtains and soft furnishings. obviously, being the man of the house, i have put my foot down.
the gtech ebike arrives saturday on trial.
just need to ride it up the 12% hill now.
I know that feeling.......I'm working on Mrs C about the virtues of us getting two Riese and Muller bikes.......I think I'm slowly winning. :D

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
let me know the secret if you do win. i do like the looks of the gtech, it was the tv ad that brought me here. after all the not so positive opinions of the gtech for my intended use, i had settled on the cube. might as well take advantage of the 2 week trial and see how i get on. she might take pity on me if it wont get me up the hill home, although i do have a car and scooter so i can't see that happening.

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
battery charged, rain stopped, time for the gtechs first test. my commute will take me through a park where the steepest part of the journey is, according to google maps it is only 0.1 mile with 528ft elevation, although i don't know how accurate these figures are.
this part of the journey is about 0.3 mile frome home, so set of wobbling down the road, reached the hill in question and started my test to see if the gtech could handle it.
well i don't see where all the negative comments have come from about this bike, it handled it superbly, obviously i had to put a bit of work in but overall my fingers diid not find it a problem.
now i am at the bottom and turn it around to face everest. a few deep breaths and step on the peddle, moves a few inches and then nothing. try to look as if i'm waiting for someone untill the dog walker has gone past, then turn the battery on. try again, set off sat on saddle, 20 yards later stood up on peddles, zig zagged my way to the top. stopped at the top and pretended to admire the view across the city while filling my lungs. five minutes later set off home.
result? not sure, i know i'm unfit, although not overweight, this was my first time on ebike so nothing to campare it to. on the short time riding after the hill, it did seem easy on the gentle incline home but did feel like my legs started to spin too quick when it got up to a certain speed, don't know what speed but it didn't cut out.
going to try the commute tomorrow and get a better idea.

Reactions: IR772

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
done a few commutes, hills have been fairly enjoyable, except for steep ones. the lack of gears has been good and bad, found that the bike is ok if you don't want to go above 15mph as my legs wont spin that fast. would still love the cube but ̶w̶i̶f̶e̶ can't justify an extra 2 grand to go a bit faster. so i am going to keep the gtech and hope i don't regret it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
done a few commutes, hills have been fairly enjoyable, except for steep ones. the lack of gears has been good and bad, found that the bike is ok if you don't want to go above 15mph as my legs wont spin that fast. would still love the cube but ̶w̶i̶f̶e̶ can't justify an extra 2 grand to go a bit faster. so i am going to keep the gtech and hope i don't regret it.
You may wish to glance at our Kudos Stealth or Alamo.....many of our customers remarked that if the GTech spec came out like The Stealth and Alamo then the GTech would have sold in thousands.
We are selling enough without the massive marketing budget.
Price will be held as long as current stocks last.
KudosDave

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
i did have a look at your bikes and liked the one that can have the nuvinci hub. although i am so lazy about maintenance that the carbon belt was a big plus for me. i can live with the limitations of the gtech, i imagine that gtech is aiming their product at people like me, who have no idea about specs, sprockets, cassettes etc.