Should Speed Sensor Touch The Disc? - New Bike

woodface

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2017
UK
Just got my first e-bike, so a lot to learn. Very happy with it so far - does what I need it for - to get my old bones up hills.

Having a close inspection, I notice that the speed sensor is beginning to collect very fine plastic dust at one end. Dust which streaks along the disc which the sensor reads. But are they meant to be so close they touch - and indeed chafe to the point where the sensor is wearing down???

I think I know the answer (!) but as such a newbie, I thought I'd check with you lot before telling the shop to adjust it.

Bike is a new Merlin London hybrid 36v 250w btw. Hope this pic displays okay. Merlin Sensor.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is the PAS not the speed sensor. It is best if there is an air gap, you will end wearing the plastic off the sensor. Mine has about 2/10ths of a mm space, it did touch but it wasn't an issue.

• Useful
D

Deleted member 4366

It looks like the sensor brwcket would be better placed the other side of the chainguard bracket if you want to fix it properly otherwise just bend it away a bit. Ideally, you want a 1mm gap.

• Useful