Shrink wrap for Bafang BBSHD cables

arrkaye

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2017
london
I have my unit on order and am thinking about how to do a neat installation.

Heat shrink cable wrap seems like a good idea. Can anyone advise what width would be suitable for the HD cables?

I suppose it has to be wide enough for the connectors to fit through. It comes in 1-18mm wide shrinking 2:1.

Thanks.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I asked a similar question in the technical section and have been nudged towards buying 3:1 adhesive shrink as it is waterproof. Not had chance to look on ebay buy my plan was to buy either a bundle of mixed sizes or 1m of something like 8mm that would cover all my connectors once shrunk

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Heat shrink is great on areas that suffer from flexing or chafing, but I learnt the hard way, that it's not particularly good at waterproofing connections or cables.

My battery dock cable is soldered directly to the controller power cable, protected, or so I thought, by a piece of heat shrink tubing. I'm no expert, but it looked water tight, and I thought it would last till the bike croaked it.

Unfortunately, water managed to creep its way to the soldered wires and start corroding them. I now seal any electrical connections, exposed to moisture, with silicone sealant.

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
Have you come across self amalgamating tape? amazing stuff. have a bbs01 and have tidied my cables up with this.

This link to a manufacture video, can't comment on their particular product as haven't tried it. Mine was 'random generic some name I forget'.

Nor, can I comment on longevity of it yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Heat shrink is great on areas that suffer from flexing or chafing, but I learnt the hard way, that it's not particularly good at waterproofing connections or cables.

My battery dock cable is soldered directly to the controller power cable, protected, or so I thought, by a piece of heat shrink tubing. I'm no expert, but it looked water tight, and I thought it would last till the bike croaked it.

Unfortunately, water managed to creep its way to the soldered wires and start corroding them. I now seal any electrical connections, exposed to moisture, with silicone sealant.
Thanks Fordulike, good to have some real world experience - was it "normal" 2:1 or the stuff that claims to be waterproof (3:1 / 4:1 stuff you can get)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks Fordulike, good to have some real world experience - was it "normal" 2:1 or the stuff that claims to be waterproof (3:1 / 4:1 stuff you can get)
Just normal stuff, didn't realise there was a waterproof version.