Shunt mod gains

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
My controller is 13 amps, I believe my battery is rated 19 amos. Is there much to be gained from soldering the shunt or is it marginal difference?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You won't gain any more top speed, but you will improve hill climbing performance and the ability to maintain speed over undulating terrain. Don't expect miracles with a 13 amp rated controller though.

Best to add a small amount of solder, then test. Some controllers don't like it if you go too far with the solder.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
You won't gain any more top speed, but you will improve hill climbing performance and the ability to maintain speed over undulating terrain. Don't expect miracles with a 13 amp rated controller though.

Best to add a small amount of solder, then test. Some controllers don't like it if you go too far with the solder.
Doesn't matter, I already tried it and it went boom! :D On closer inspection looks like a rogue blob dropped down and shorted the whole thing out, oops! :D:D:D

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Oops :eek:

New uprated controller is the way to go. Maybe 20 amp rated with your battery.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Oops :eek:

New uprated controller is the way to go. Maybe 20 amp rated with your battery.
I think 20 amp would trip the BMS. I only wanted to go like 15/16. Saying that some are configurable. I also need it to be pretty small. Have a basic spare without display that has thankfully fired up once I figured the wiring so at least I have power...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which make of controller / LCD are you using.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT lcd3 and controller will set you back about £80.
You can buy the cheaper lcd1 or 2 but the 3 gives you more parameters to fiddle with and one of the important ones is controller amps, you can adjust them down ( approx. by 5 amps) to suit your needs so no worry if you get a 17 or 20a controller and don't need all them's amps.

Reactions: Fordulike

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I've just went for the same one because it's cheap and can take a 48v. If I decided to mod the shunt is there any way I can guard from this happening again? Something to catch any drip? More likely after this experience I'll just wait until I can get a 48v battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I decided to mod the shunt is there any way I can guard from this happening again? Something to catch any drip? More likely after this experience I'll just wait until I can get a 48v battery
Go easy on the solder use a thinner core solder, with the lid off and proper access try a bit of kitchen towel to prevent drips /splatter affecting other components or tracks. Add a bit try it/ride it & add more if needed to max of 25/30% of shunt, typically solder the rhs leg of the shunt on the v- away from the fets side of the controller.
Show a pic of the shunt you modded so we can see what/where went wrong.

Last edited:

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Go easy on the solder use a thinner core solder, with the lid off and proper access try a bit of kitchen towel to prevent drips /splatter affecting other components or tracks. Add a bit try it/ride it & add more if needed to max of 25/30% of shunt, typically solder the rhs leg of the shunt on the v- away from the fets side of the controller.
Show a pic of the shunt you modded so we can see what/where went wrong.
I've chucked it. Basically a bit dripped onto the base of the shunt that I didn't see and it shorted out against some tiny component that was under it, melting a hole though the board