Shwalbe Tyre problem

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you read back through the thread the bigotry was mainly started by one individual whom I tasked about his rudeness on several occasions, because of this things sidetracked but the route cause is still that the tyres have failed in such a short period/mileage[
Another kiwi's response wasn't in any way bigoted, you described it as curt.

What I was referring to were the disparaging references to Schwalbe tyres being made in Indonesia, inferring Germans can make tyres but Indonesians can't.

That's both bigoted and racist, showing an astonishing lack of knowledge of Indonesia's scale of high tech manufacturing.

• Disagree
Reactions: 10JP

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
No, I saw sarcasm.
Applied for comedic value. Obviously my attempt failed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion: Your own experience and thus opinion of Schwalbe tyres are wholly different to mine (and I'd argue the OP). The fact remains that plenty of credible alternative tyre brands exist.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Another kiwi's response wasn't in any way bigoted, you described it as curt.

What I was referring to were the disparaging references to Schwalbe tyres being made in Indonesia, inferring Germans can make tyres but Indonesians can't.

That's both bigoted and racist, showing an astonishing lack of knowledge of Indonesia's scale of high tech manufacturing.
So now political correctness enters the arena over a tyre fault.... unbelievable!!!!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So now political correctness enters the arena over a bl**dy tyre fault.... unbelievable!!!!
Thank you for confirming what an unreasonable bigot you are. The only thing unbelievable is your attitude, prompting some very reasonable members to take exception.

Any product can have a rare fault, in the 11 years of this forum this is the first like this on a Schwalbe tyre that I've seen. And as you've acknowledged in the mention of a bike rack, we don't even know for certain that it is a fault.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Thank you for confirming what an unreasonable bigot you are. The only thing unbelievable is your attitude, prompting some very reasonable members to take exception.

Any product can have a rare fault, in the 11 years of this forum this is the first like this on a Schwalbe tyre that I've seen. And as you've acknowledged in the mention of a bike rack, we don't even know for certain that it is a fault.
If you were to read through the threads properly its full of errors by one person, cheap tyre

If you were to read through the threads properly its full of errors by one person, cheap tyres, only rated at 25 when they are actually 50, pity we couldn't see a pic of one on the rim when there was one etc etc, second guessing is what its called, I can assure you I'm not bigoted in any way and have worked alongside many nationalities during my many years with BMW, I found that no matter what I answered he would always pick fault in one way or another in the end it was easier to tell him just forget it!!

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
If you were to read through the threads properly its full of errors by one person, cheap tyre

If you were to read through the threads properly its full of errors by one person, cheap tyres, only rated at 25 when they are actually 50, pity we couldn't see a pic of one on the rim when there was one etc etc, second guessing is what its called, I can assure you I'm not bigoted in any way and have worked alongside many nationalities during my many years with BMW, I found that no matter what I answered he would always pick fault in one way or another in the end it was easier to tell him just forget it!!
Again all this over a tyre fault to which you would expect more sensible replies

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Again all this over a tyre fault to which you would expect more sensible replies
Back on topic...

I would be inclined to telephone the (on-line) company you purchased these tyres from and have that discussion... emailing them the photos to demonstrate your issue.

With luck, they'll accept there is a fault, and either credit you, or supply a nice set of Continental-branded tyres to replace them?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and 10JP

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you were to read through the threads properly
I've been following and reading the whole thread from its beginning and my reaction is the same as that from some other very reasonable members.

Basically that you are overreacting to a minor issue. This post by AK illustrates the problem. He very reasonably drew attention to item 3 not being consistent witn 1 and 2, objecting to writing off a make on one possible fault.

You called that curt, I disagree. Writing off any make for a single fault logically means never buying anything, since nothing is perfect and all suffer an occasional fault.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I've been following and reading the whole thread from its beginning and my reaction is the same as that from some other very reasonable members.

Basically that you are overreacting to a minor issue. This post by AK illustrates the problem. He very reasonably drew attention to item 3 not being consistent witn 1 and 2, objecting to writing off a make on one possible fault.

You called that curt, I disagree. Writing off any make for a single fault logically means never buying anything, since nothing is perfect and all suffer an occasional fault.
Lets say that If you purchased a product for the first time whatever that may be from a minor item to a major item and it developed a fault before you would expect it rendering it not safe to use or unfit for purpose... would you seriously buy that product again?

D

Deleted member 4366

Continental Top Contact... brilliant tyres
I had some of those and posted pictures on the forum after a few months when the inner-tube was poking through the side of the tyre in several places. Both sides the same all around the circumference.

I give them 10/10 for grip though!

Here we go. I had it on my Photobucket. Look at the tread. The tyre was nearly new. If you Google these tyres, you'll find that many people had this problem:

faultytyre4_zpsf1d9f85a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I had some of those and posted pictures on the forum after a few months when the inner-tube was poking through the side of the tyre in several places. Both sides the same all around the circumference.

Here we go. I had it on my Photobucket. Look at the tread. The tyre was nearly new. If you Google these tyres, you'll find that many people had this problem:

View attachment 22876
I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head in that you would not purchase those tyres again because of this... thats exactly how I feel about the Shwalbes I purchased.. no difference really

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lets say that If you purchased a product for the first time whatever that may be from a minor item to a major item and it developed a fault before you would expect it rendering it not safe to use or unfit for purpose... would you seriously buy that product again?
Yes, if I knew that very large numbers used the product and had no trouble, and that is obviously true of Schwalbe. As I posted, every product has an occasional fault. If you do a search you'll find some examples of faults on Continental bicycle tyres.

That wouldn't stop me buying them, not would your fault stop me buying Schwalbe. Refusing to buy on the basis of one fault means you should never buy anything, since everything suffers the odd fault.

You very reasonably asked for others experiences in your opening post and received a positive response from Gringo for Schwalbe. I expected many more since we have many Schwalbe users and if not, I was going to add my own experiences with them. But when I saw your sharp response to Another kiwi I thought better of it, and I assume many other Schwalbe users felt the same since they didn't post either.

Anyway, each to his own, by all means buy Continental if you prefer and I hope you don't suffer any fault with whatever make you buy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not wishing to appear a smart-arse (which I inevitably will), but Kenda I now discover actually offer no less than 16 levels of puncture protection (have I got that right?):

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/tire-tech/casing-technology/

Eat crap Schwalbe.

And eat humble pie d8veh!

(flecc will no doubt flag d8vehs response as an agree, however d8veh replies :rolleyes:).
Puncture protection and puncture proof are not the same thing. I tried all sorts of other protection tyres, but, as I said, none come close to Marathon Plus. No punctures in 5000 miles despite getting a three inch nail right in the tyre:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/do-puncture-resistant-tires-work.20489/

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Yes, if I knew that very large numbers used the product and had no trouble, and that is obviously true of Schwalbe. As I posted, every product has an occasional fault. If you do a search you'll find some examples of faults on Continental bicycle tyres.

That wouldn't stop me buying them, not would your fault stop me buying Schwalbe.

You very reasonably asked for others experiences in your opening post and received a positive response from Gringo for Schwalbe. I expected many more since we have many Schwalbe users and if not, I was going to add my own experiences with them. But when I saw your sharp response to Another kiwi I thought better of it, and I assume many other Schwalbe users felt the same since they didn't post either.

Anyway, each to his own, by all means buy Continental if you prefer and I hope you don't suffer any fault with whatever make you buy.
Well most people Iv'e met during my many years would not go out and repurchase a product that has let them down, everything on this planet has faults but its a free market where we can choose what we want to buy,
You are trying to make me out to be a real baddy aren't you, but Anotherkiwis response was as I say fraught with mistakes and second guessing so the response he received from me was in keeping with his as was mine with yours calling me a bigot! thanks for that!.

We obviously will have to agree to disagree so good day to you.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Puncture protection and puncture proof are not the same thing. I tried all sorts of other protection tyres, but, as I said, none come close to Marathon Plus. No punctures in 5000 miles despite getting a three inch nail right in the tyre:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Wow 1200 miles! so I suppose if you went out and bought something that didn't come up to your expectations you would go out and buy the same again!!?
I said 1200 miles 'thus far'. They could be good for many, many more safe miles. You've agreed that it's possible that you damaged the tyre yourself. So, with it being a 5/5 rated tyre, it's feasibly possible that Schwalbe is not entirely at fault in this case.

So yes, with their reputation, I would buy from them again. No matter where they make them. :)

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Benjahmin

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I said 1200 miles 'thus far'. They could be good for many, many more safe miles. You've agreed that it's possible that you damaged the tyre yourself. So, with it being a 5/5 rated tyre, it's feasibly possible that Schwalbe is not entirely at fault in this case.

So yes, with their reputation, I would buy from them again. No matter where they make them. :)

The point you are missing and that I'm trying to make is this has never happened to any of the other makes of tyres I have used the last few years and I am doing nothing different now than then.

D

Deleted member 4366

Here's an idea: Use the Continentals for the next 1200 miles, then come back and let us know how they've performed. With that info, we will have all learnt something.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers