Single geared Ebikes?

TimD78

Just Joined
Apr 29, 2018
London
Hi guys,

I need the collective wisdom of the forum to recommend me some bike options! I am 115kg and overweight but not all that unfit. Never the less this gravity’s a bitch and this mass take a bit to get going up a hill and so in order to get fit but be able to back it off a bit and not arrive to work too sweaty I am looking to invest in an ebike. I come from a motorbike background but not much more than a off road mountain bike when I was a teenager.

I have tried three bikes, here are my thoughts.

Gtech:

I like the concept, light as possible, no gears and use the motor to pull away when you need the torque which is what electric motors are perfect at, the gear set for a good cruising speed. Oddly I found the saddle quite comfortable and a 3 mile ride resulted in 10% battery loss. My ride to work is 7 miles over a similar level of relative climb so best case scenario is 23% each way or 46%. The reality might be higher than that but either way this should do me for commuting each way and the option for carrying the charger is not impossible but it would be nice to know I can go for a longer park ride of I choose it on the weekend.

Gocycle G3:

The functionality seemed good in that I can tuck it away in the hallway to store it but in practice I was not amused by it, the automatic gears just got in my way and the UI is obtuse. The slight feeling of suspension was nice but to me, its not worth £3.5k and I don’t want the GS either, it just felt slow and more of a super casual riding experience where I don’t mind carrying a bit more attack position, maybe from my head down motorbike days.

KTM Macina Force 271:

This might appear an odd one to try but its what my local cycle republic had to test and I was interested to try the Bosch CX motor to see what the power ranges of these bikes really is. Power wise it is good but it doesn’t blow the roof off, I don’t feel like I need much more than tour mode, maybe sport to loosen off in the morning. The only issue is was oh boy are those mountain bike tyres draggy and the saddle was absolute punishment. It just didn’t have that smooth feeling the Gtech’s thinner tyres gave and I found myself sticking in higher gears, doing what the gates carbon drive already does but while carrying all that extra gearing baggage.

So here is the question.

It feels like the single gear Gates carbon bike style really suites what I want but I would like to ideally carry a slightly bigger motor and slightly more battery life. The lack of maintenance on the belt drive and no grease on the trousers is another attraction and the lack of clattering chain is nice.

Is there anything out there for me (excluding the coboc one rome because it seem a bit too much on the high end) or am I better off finding a road bike frame which can tolerate my weight and sticking nice beefy hub drive kit on it? Obviously the version I end up with will get lights and mudguards stuck on it and it would be nice if these features came with the package. Thoughts?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What type of terrain do you expect to be travelling around?. That is the important question. The standard single gear is ok for level ground or slight slopes. While my bike has 10 gears I find myself in 5 nearly all the time, except for the very steep 15% slope up from the sea. If I had no gears , I might have to walk that bit...
Except for central drive motor ebikes, the others with hub motors are by definition single gear ebikes.. the cyclist might have the benefit of gears but the electrical motor does not.
Gears are useful and will allow you to travel faster.. so decrease travel time.
You can get a perfectly adaquate, even very good road \ city bike for around 50% of what you are suggesting... . And with 400 to 500 whr batteries. .. these will happily do the 14 miles round trip and take 30 minutes per leg. . My suggestion for in city travel is to look for Dutch frame types less style , more comfort, more safety from an upright stance...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Oxygenated

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2018
North Kent coast
Hi guys,

I need the collective wisdom of the forum to recommend me some bike options! I am 115kg and overweight but not all that unfit. Never the less this gravity’s a bitch and this mass take a bit to get going up a hill and so in order to get fit but be able to back it off a bit and not arrive to work too sweaty I am looking to invest in an ebike. I come from a motorbike background but not much more than a off road mountain bike when I was a teenager.

Gtech:

I like the concept, light as possible, no gears and use the motor to pull away when you need the torque which is what electric motors are perfect at, the gear set for a good cruising speed. Oddly I found the saddle quite comfortable and a 3 mile ride resulted in 10% battery loss. My ride to work is 7 miles over a similar level of relative climb so best case scenario is 23% each way or 46%. The reality might be higher than that but either way this should do me for commuting each way and the option for carrying the charger is not impossible but it would be nice to know I can go for a longer park ride of I choose it on the weekend.

Gocycle G3:

The functionality seemed good in that I can tuck it away in the hallway to store it but in practice I was not amused by it, the automatic gears just got in my way and the UI is obtuse. The slight feeling of suspension was nice but to me, its not worth £3.5k and I don’t want the GS either, it just felt slow and more of a super casual riding experience where I don’t mind carrying a bit more attack position, maybe from my head down motorbike days.

KTM Macina Force 271:

This might appear an odd one to try but its what my local cycle republic had to test and I was interested to try the Bosch CX motor to see what the power ranges of these bikes really is. Power wise it is good but it doesn’t blow the roof off, I don’t feel like I need much more than tour mode, maybe sport to loosen off in the morning. The only issue is was oh boy are those mountain bike tyres draggy and the saddle was absolute punishment. It just didn’t have that smooth feeling the Gtech’s thinner tyres gave and I found myself sticking in higher gears, doing what the gates carbon drive already does but while carrying all that extra gearing baggage.

So here is the question.

It feels like the single gear Gates carbon bike style really suites what I want but I would like to ideally carry a slightly bigger motor and slightly more battery life. The lack of maintenance on the belt drive and no grease on the trousers is another attraction and the lack of clattering chain is nice.

Is there anything out there for me (excluding the coboc one rome because it seem a bit too much on the high end) or am I better off finding a road bike frame which can tolerate my weight and sticking nice beefy hub drive kit on it? Obviously the version I end up with will get lights and mudguards stuck on it and it would be nice if these features came with the package. Thoughts?
Hi TimD78
See your problem - been there looking at what's available. I plumped for the Oxygen S-Cross as it is more like a hybrid bike that many e-bike models, has 18 different power levels and also 21 gears for use in the normal manner - a combination of both meets any situations! I regularly do 40 miles plus and the battery is only half used because I support the motor by pedalling on the 21 gears. you are well within max payload so no worries there. Have a look at this link http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-cb
Cheers and good luck with your search.

Reactions: Wheel-E

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is nothing wrong with using a single speed as a donor bike as long as you have a strong and flexible motor to back it up, like the 48V SWX02 kit.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#swx02-48v-kit

this kit is a competent replacement for the BBS02 crank drive kit where you don't have gears.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
KTM Macina Force 271:

Schwalbe Big apple Plus or Big Ben Plus tyres
NCX suspension seat post with adequate spring
Saddle of your choice

There are my thoughts

KwikFold

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2018
Midlands
www.kwikfold.co.uk
Hi guys,

Gtech:

Gocycle G3:

KTM Macina Force 271:

So here is the question.

I think gears are an important factor on any e-bike, as you will be using it hopefully in all sorts of varying terrain. A seat post/ tyres are easily changed too so I would suggest looking at bike parts on eBay.

If you don't want to spend £3.5k that isn't a problem, there are far more affordable folders on the market with good motors and batteries.

Are you in the market for a folder?
if so check out KwikFold

www.kwikfold.co.uk

Kind regards

KwikFold team

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Josh,
I guess you are new to the forum, so welcome.
you shouldn't post promotional stuff until you join the forum traders.
Contact HelenJ about joining.

• Agree
Reactions: KwikFold

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In fact, this thread made me see the point from SS commuters. There are zillions of them in London alone!
I will look into making a single speed belt drive version of the Karoo.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In fact, this thread made me see the point from SS commuters. There are zillions of them in London alone!
I will look into making a single speed belt drive version of the Karoo.
Much of London and quite a bit of Essex too is flat enough to be ideal SS territory. The Karoo's motor would greatly extend that area of usefulness, good idea.

Reactions: Woosh

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I had a KTM Macina and having been in the aluminium boat manufacturing business I look carefully at the quality of the welding and have to say the welds looked very neat and tidy.
I changed the KTM for a Cube as I needed a step-through frame and have to say I felt the KTM Macina was better put together, with cables running inside the frame as opposed to them being grouped together in a channel where they collected mud etc.
The Cube was very well put together but I felt the KTM had the edge.... after all they have been making trials motorbikes for decades.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had a KTM Macina and having been in the aluminium boat manufacturing business I look carefully at the quality of the welding and have to say the welds looked very neat and tidy.
I changed the KTM for a Cube as I needed a step-through frame and have to say I felt the KTM Macina was better put together, with cables running inside the frame as opposed to them being grouped together in a channel where they collected mud etc.
The Cube was very well put together but I felt the KTM had the edge.... after all they have been making trials motorbikes for decades.
Not the same KTM I'm afraid...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My comments were really aimed at the brand as opposed to the particular model.
They are two completely separate companies since 1992, and the bicycle side has independently developed since 1964.