Single speed ebike build

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
I'm thinking on upgrading my brakes. The frame is not discbrake compatible.
So, i eather go the easy way and just get dual pivot caliper brakes ( for slightly better braking power), or try to fit discbrakes ( welding and more ugly actions may occur...), plus i'll have to buy a new back wheel or hub suitable for a discbrake. And on top of that, i'll have to make sure that the forks have enough space gor the discbrakes...thoughts?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The most important brake it the front as it is responsible for 75/80 % of braking, to accomplish this a fork change and a new disc hub will be needed as well as a HDB.
Maybe another better option is to replace both with hydraulic rim brakes.
Magura H33's are good esp with standard canti lever mounts price circa £130 for a new pair.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Even the HS11 will put you over the handlebars if you grab a handful :( ah the memory of feet at the vertical before the fall :eek:

If you are more reasonable they will stop you on a dime, or 0.10€ or... :D

Reactions: Vagos

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
+1 for HS11's. Cheaper than 33's but still really effective. I've got front only with standard cable on the back. I'd say comparable to disc in stopping power.

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Those HS11s are looking good as the best alternative to discbrakes i guess. But, are they compatible for a steel frame? And my reach is 75mm. And i noticed that they hook up like v brakes. I don't have v brakes, neither does the frame/fork compatible with v brakes...
Edit... after some search i found out that those brakes are v brakes, so i can't use them and i don't want to mess with adaptors and welding.
I think i will take the "cheap aproach" and order a set of DP Dia-Compe calipers for 25€/set.
I hope they will make a difference in breaking power...

Last edited:

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
So, should i change to DP calipers then? That's the easiest choise i have. Will they make any notisable difference?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Neater then cable ties.

Richardab

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2018
UK
So, should i change to DP calipers then? That's the easiest choise i have. Will they make any notisable difference?
Yes dual pivots are a vast improvement over old school side pull calipers, especially if you get good pads...but older frames have a much bigger brake drop than modern bikes that dual pivots are generally designed for. There are some ‘long drop’ dual pivots available, you might need to make some careful measurements before purchasing though.

Last edited:

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Yes dual pivots are a vast improvement over old school side pull calipers, especially if you get good pads...but older frames have a much bigger brake drop than modern bikes that dual pivots are generally designed for. There are some ‘long drop’ dual pivots available, you might need to make some careful measurements before purchasing though.
I found a cheap pair of dia-compe long reach dual pivot calipers and a pair of matching levers ( gold color). I will upgrade...

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Charging question...
If I want to store my bike for a long time ( one month), how do I charge the battery for storage? The charger doesn't have any settings. Do I charge it until it reaches 37-38 volts and then stop? Do I fully charge and take it for a spin until the voltage drops to the desired level? Even now, if I know i'm not going to ride for a couple of days, I try to have the battery at 36-38volts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Storage 38 - 38.5v, 0.5v either way won't do any harm.
I leave mine 37.5 - 39v.

All new cells I get from Nkon arrived no higher then 3.68v.

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
Ok, my Thermal Grease Paste arrived and in the next few days i will add the heatsink to the esc. I found out, that you can add heatsink to the motor as well, it's called hubsink. Anyone tried that? I would like to add something like that, because i'm worried about the motor heating up. We have very hot summer days here in Greece. Am i overreacting?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds sensible for a hot climate.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't leave you bike parked in the sun, especially if the battery case is black!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I expect your summer shade temp is hotter then UK sun temp.

• :D

Vagos

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
Greece
I just made two small upgrades.
I used a small pvc pipe wrapped in sticker to hide the excess cables and also fitted a heatsink on the esc. I had to cut the enclosure though. Now i'm waiting for the new handlebar, brakes and levers...
IMG_20180614_214641.jpg IMG_20180614_214707.jpg IMG_20180614_214757.jpg