Single speed - Ebike ( fixie style ) mid drive

xander02

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 4, 2017
London
Hi Benjahmin

i had the same concern myself when purchasing the kit but after installing and trying it, i had absolutely nothing to worry about after all.. the performance is amazing.

i can climb and accelerate up steep hills with minimal input from myself very easily.. it literally drags me up hills! without the motor bogging down at all.. and with the stock gearing of 44/16t ( standard single speed gearing ) it also gets brings me to a top speed of 38Kph in under 4 seconds :)

the problem im having now is that i really need a 13-14 tooth freewheel at the rear because when i reach my top speed of 38kph the motor simply cuts off due the very small amount of pressure i'm applying to the pedals at the higher cadence speeds ( torque sensing system ).. i believe the motor is more than capable of getting me up to 50+ Kph with the correct gearing..

the TSDZ350 mid drive system has different gearing setup compared to the BBS01/02

the TSDZ350 has an internal gearing of approximately 45:1.. the motor spins at speeds up to 4000 Rpm while the crank will max out between 80-100 rpm <- i can peddle faster that the motor can turn it.. this results in having much much better low-mid end torque

i believe the BBS02 system can turn the crank up to around 160-200 rpm, much faster than a human can pedal.

the TSDZ350 system is perfectly suited for single speed bikes :)

im currently looking to purchase a 48v controller as a replacement to the current 36v one.. and to use the thumb throttle that can be purchaed sepreatly i'm hoping this will allow me to reach 45-50Kph
Hi, In your experience what single speed gearing ratio has worked best for you? my commute is fairly flat and I doubt I will want to or be able exceed much more than 22mph in the city. I'm more concerned about getting off the mark with this motor so need a gearing that will allow me to do so without damaging the motor but also one that gives me a decent top speed at a comfortable cadence.

My stock TSDZ2 motor is coming with 42t and I have a 17t rear which I think is going to be far too "spinny".

Any advice welcomed. Thanks

Advertisers