Slime tube did it for me!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
18 months and 2200 miles I had my first puncture today. Going downhill far too quickly when I heard the pssswsssswss and just hoped it wasn't the front cos I didn't fancy hard braking at 40mph on a flat front tyre.
As I slowed the psssswssssws got weaker and by the time I had stopped so had it and there was a small green blob on the tyre to prove it works.. was a bit soft but got me home..
I have always assumed that the tubes must have fixed numerous punctures but this is the first I can prove.

Need a new tyre anyway so looking for one that has some resistance .. don't fancy messing with tubeless

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tubeless is way less hassle than tubes id never go back to them.

less waight
can run lower psi
no pinch flats
no need to remove the wheel
top up every 3 months

the hardest part is seating the tyre on the rim but if you have a air compressor it will go on first time.

1l of sealant will last 2 years as i still got half a bottle left and only bought 2 since i had this bike in 2014.

DSC_0384.JPG
tho if you dont shake it up now and then it goes like this prob 2 tyres worth there that i lost but plenty of other brands to try ;)

some ppl even mix this in with it and some brands also has this mixed in ;)
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/card-making-supplies/6-glitter-tubes/5052089146617?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-GoogleShopping-_-AdWords-_-5052089146617&CAWELAID=720011340000058506&CATARGETID=720011340002585951&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrHmjAnMGj4GtqZe7b8j6zFyrmODJtdGJFp1JbWOSx4iJpxaD06QqO0aArEWEALw_wcB

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They usually have some garish sticker with "Tubeless Ready" written on it...:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tubeless ready rims have no holes for the spokes so no rim tape is needed that is the only difference.

if you have a loose fitting tyre then just use more rim tape to get a tighter fit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it does not matter as that is what the rim tape is for ;) if you get new tyres just get some that are tr ready and you will have a more easy time seating them on the rim.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put it this way when i first got my bike the first thing i had to do was add more sealant with a new front tyre i bought from evens but when they said the tyre and sealant and them to fit it was going to cost 100 quid so i done it my self.

tried it with a foot pump and got nowhere other than pissing sealant everywhere took it down the garage and used the air comp and bang went on first time.

• :D
Reactions: BillyBoy88

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
But remember even with tubeless tyres, which I don't run, you still need to carry a spare tube.... just in case ;)
i have never had a puncture that would not seal because if it dont a tube will be a waste of time anyway unless you plug the hole first.

don't want the faff of tubeless.

get the lbs to set ur wheels up tubeless as after that all you need to do is top up the sealant.;)

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Remember tyres come in lots of compound variations, so you can always go for a thicker, more puncture resistant tyre, in the same brand.

I had a tyre which punctured every time I was out, changed to the stiffer compound, no more punctures.

I personally don’t like tubeless, as I like to strip my bike totally and clean it within an inch of its life. Having said that I ain’t no downhill champion either, I just like a day in the hills.

It’s all a balance of what you want to do and what suits you. Remembering if you do puncture a tubeless tyre in the field, it’s a pain to get on and off and full of slime, and you won’t have a compressor to re-seat it in the back of beyond either…. But that’s an exception.

For what I do, tubes are fine, I’m sure the tubeless guys and gals have their own reasons… each to their own. :D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
tubeless ready rims have no holes for the spokes so no rim tape is needed that is the only difference.
The internal profile of a tubeless ready rim has a ledge around each edge for the tyre bead to seal on.

Most tubeless rimes have spoke holes the same as any other, but they will come with thicker, 'tubeless ready' rim tape fitted.

More or less any hybrid/mtb rim can be aet up tubeless, but the correct rim profile of a tubeless ready rim makes for a better job.

Caution is needed with narrower, road rims.

Some indication the tyres are more likely to blow off the rim if tubeless.

Apparently, the inner tube plays a part in gripping the tyre and keeping it on the rim.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Related Articles

Advertisers