Slime tube did it for me!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am sticking to tubes and balloon tyres because the trike doesn't have any suspension. Would I like a Marathon Allmotion rear and Pro One front tyres? You bet! Would my old bones absorb the harshness of the ride? Nope, probably not...:(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am sticking to tubes and balloon tyres because the trike doesn't have any suspension. Would I like a Marathon Allmotion rear and Pro One front tyres? You bet! Would my old bones absorb the harshness of the ride? Nope, probably not...:(
I have mp's on the road bike and find I can run them really soft so harsh ride is no problem.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Mmmm..... tempting. I don't run tubeless as I'm too thick to mess about with it all, but that looks like a solution.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
This reply is aimed at all those tubeless guys and girls out there.

I run with tubes, as I am old fashioned that way, however I might be tempted to convert to tubeless, mainly because, I have a couple of bikes which have “b****d” tyres to remove, which obviously I don’t want to do on the trail.

Question is, and I know it’s a 1 in a 1000 shot.

After you have been running tubeless for a while, you must pick up punctures, thorns etc which you don’t know about, because the slime keeps the tyre inflated.

Now say you get a side wall rip and you HAVE to put a tube in to get the tyre re-inflated, because the slime won’t seal such a large hole.

To me this now means you will have to spend forever digging around in the slimy mess within your tyre, trying to find an unknown number thorns before you put a tube in, as it would just puncture straight away.

We all know the one who has replaced a punctured tube, but didn’t check the tyre, only to puncture the new tube with the same thorn.

Any thoughts.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Years ago there was a tyre treatment for stopping punctures and when in a quick fit type of place having a puncture mended I asked about it. Tyre fitter said if you use it then don't come to us to change the tyre cos it's a really messy job.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sealant does not last forever after 3 months there will be nothing left in the tyre depending how much you use in the first place.

if there is any left in the tyre just remove it buy taking out the valve core and use a syringe and suck it out.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
the sealant does not last forever after 3 months there will be nothing left in the tyre depending how much you use in the first place.

if there is any left in the tyre just remove it buy taking out the valve core and use a syringe and suck it out.
Sorry SW but I am not convinced. I am now running an MP MTB tyre with a slime tube on the back so feel I am 99% likely to do another year without a flat and yes its a bit harder ride but grippy enough so will soon buy one for the front. Pressure is 35psi at the mo so need to try lower pressures to find the right balance of stability and harshness, but most importantly for me, its no mess, no fuss!

Related Articles

Advertisers