Smart ebike out of production?

GDW40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 12, 2015
Hi All

I hadn't considered a Pedelec/ebike until a couple of days ago when I spent 1.5 hours in my car on a 5 mile commute. Have previously cycled to work a few times but we have no showers there and this can be a problem...

Have been researching it over the past couple of days and the bike that has really caught my eye is the smart ebike - possibly mainly due to aesthetics, which I guess shouldn't be a primary concern. Went to my local smart dealer where I was told that they could get one but they're no longer in production. Anyone know if this is accurate? If so - why?? I don't fancy buying a product that the manufacturer has abandoned after a couple of years.

Anything similar / better I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Most of the car manufacturer branded ebikes are marketing gimmicks.

Doesn't make them bad bikes, but as you have discovered they can be here today, gone tomorrow.

If you root around you will find some special offers on the Smart.

It uses a propulsion system called BionX which is OK, but newer ones from other makers are better in most respects.

A Smart would your commute of five miles, although for that distance I would be seriously thinking about an ordinary pushbike.

Cheaper, much lighter, lower maintenance and no messing around charging batteries.

Reactions: Alan Quay

GDW40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 12, 2015
I've biked to work a few times on my regular bike (trek mountain bike with hybrid tyres to make it more road friendly) and have no issue with it as such. I'm reasonably fit (run 8-12km 2-3 times a week plus circuit training). The problem I have with biking to work on my regular bike is that it's hilly on the way there and I end up sweating at my desk for the day. Like I say - no showers at work. My theory was that I could use more electric power on the way there and so arrive slightly fresher and then recharge the batteries (albeit minimally) on the way back.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The on road recharging is a good example of marketing gimmickry.

If it worked, energy would be free.

All you would be doing is pushing harder against the generator to produce enough power to run the lights for a few minutes.

Of course, you should still use the bike as you want to, higher power on the way in and lower power on the way back will give you more exercise than using higher power all the time.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If they are out of production does answer why Smartebiker got his cheaply.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Anybody tried Raleigh ebikes?
The Bosch drive Captus and Motus are nice bikes.

The older design hub drive Raleigh bikes are not so clever - better available from the likes of woosh, Kudos, Cyclezee and probably a few others.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The Bosch drive Captus and Motus are nice bikes.

The older design hub drive Raleigh bikes are not so clever - better available from the likes of woosh, Kudos, Cyclezee and probably a few others.
I have got a long short list now. Budget is really £1000, but I might stretch to £1200. Woosh, Kudos, included.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The Smart eBike if you can get one is fantastic value for money, you still have the 2yr warranty, they are made by Grace bikes in conjunction with Mercedes. If you look at the spec you get on one for £1,069 it is stunning, I bought mine knowing that in 2yrs it will have paid for itself, anything after that is a bonus. They are smart looking with everything hidden away giving clean lines, belt driven so no oily trousers or maintenance issues, grab one if you can while there are a few left but you need to be quick.

I have one and ride it every other day, I love it, mind you I have no experience of other electric bikes but this thing flies, if you get it from Germany or Belgium you get the 250 watt motor unlike the 200 watt sold in the UK.

If a normal company was to cease production you would be stuffed, and this could happen, but with Mercedes Smart you have the peace of mind of their dealer network, my risk assessment looked into all of this and that was huge part of my purchase decision.

There is now another proud forum member with a brand new Smart eBike so when he has had a chance to try his I am sure you will get some more honest feedback. You just cannot compare a bespoke 'smart' bike like the Smart eBike to an adapted bike with a motor on for looks, its getting the balance between looks and function, there is something fro everyone out there from cheap as chips to mental money, I know I hit the right spot for me.

As for some of the other well known manufacturers, if they only offer a warranty from the store you bought it in, then that is as good as useless if you don't live near it, moving these bikes around costs money, make sure you know exactly what your warranty is when you buy and where it can and cannot be used, some eBikes are not cheap.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Their website still lists the on-the-road price as £1800. Link

As for support, I wouldn't rely on it. As I posted very recently, Mercedes abandoned all support on their previous e-bike the moment they discontinued it, and ever since act as though they'd rather forget they ever had it.

I'm beginning to wonder about Smart ebiker's status, given his vigorous promotion of the product and this discontinuation.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Haven't Grace ceased trading?

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Now I realise about forums and the people that seem to have the time to waste on them talking nonsense.

Please read my posts and you will see what I paid for the bike, also what they are on sale for in Germany and Belgium.

Anyway I have had an afternoon out on the bike followed by a few hours setting up and having fun with my new gigantic iPad Pro, hope that isn't ceasing production :) Anyway, for anyone interested, John Lewis have an offer on with a FREE 3 yrs warranty, the offer is until the 18th Nov, there are a few left but you will have to be quick, and no I don't work for Apple :)

I must say it is absolutely fantastic, my house is bristling with Apple gear so this is just a great addition, I was thinking of getting one for each of the cabins on my boat they are so beautiful, the pop up flat screen TV's coming out of the furniture are going to be old technology very soon, people like holding and touching especially in the state rooms, it gives you a more intimate experience, plus the new iPad Pro has quad speakers with fantastic quality that can link into the onboard Sonos system via Spotify. Off to the boat tomorrow for the weekend so will have a play and see whats what, I keep a motorbike on the boat, but never thought of putting eBikes on as well, may be good fun for a weekend in Guernsey in the summer. Have a great weekend :)

http://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ntt=ipad pro

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should see my 5k apple mac pro, was being fixed more than it was ever used.

was even crap as a plant pot every thing died in it lol

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
No, I only have eyes for Apple, everything we have is Apple and all integrates, I can speak to any of 38 lights in the house and ask them to turn on or off, dim or change to any colour one at a time or to them in groups, I take a photo with my iPhone, touch an area of the picture and the room I select becomes that colour, great for sunsets :), selected lights come on with geolocation when I come home, all my CCTV links through my NAS system to my iPhone, iPads and iMac with face recognition for the interior and full HD externally, the integration is awesome!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015