Some advice please.

Wibble Wibble

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2018
Hi, great forum you have here.

I'm looking for some advice as to which bike would fit my use please.

I have a fairly flat 3 mile commute to work, there is one very short steep hill on the way home. Last year I regularly cycled into work, I found it fun and helped balance out my stationary occupation. The one thing I didn't like and didn't improve despite getting fitter was the arriving at work slightly damp from sweat even if I took it very steady. It seems that an e-bike would help me and save the car from those short journeys and me from sitting in traffic longer than moving.

My current bike is an old MTB with added commuter accessories. My route is mostly shared cycle paths and I lockout the front suspension therefore I think a hybrid style would be best. I do commute on the bike in the rain so a new bike would have to cope with that.

I am looking for a dedicated commuter with the following:-

Disc brakes - my current bike has these and they really help when dealing with the phone zombies.
Full length mud guards.
Chain guard.
Rack for a pannier.
Lights that are powered by the bikes battery.

I would like to keep my MTB as is for use with the family so a kit to convert it is out.

I have a flexible budget but as this will be used just to help me get to work I do not want overkill. I really liked the simple look of the gtech bike but think I could get more for the same budget or a little more. Also liked the look of the Raleigh Captus and had Raleighs when I was a kid. I guess I am confused by the massive amount of choice. Other bikes I have looked at are:-

Whoosh -Krieger
Batribike - Alpha but no integrated lights

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Too much choice today.
Firstly set out your price range then list you specs you require and look for one's that fit the bill best and then if poss test ride them. For 3 miles 10ah/360whis more than ample.
How secure is bike at work needs to be considered also cover from the elements come rain, sleet, snow or shine.

Wibble Wibble

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 29, 2018
So I made my choice, in the end I decided to convert my current bike.

Looking forward to some time in the garage