Spare Battery.... expensive luxury, or twice the fun.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Not sure if I saw this comment on this forum or not, but I can’t find it again if I did.

Question was, does anyone carry a spare battery, along with the one fitted to the bike.

Thought about getting a smaller wattage spare battery, just to keep in the backpack.

I know it’s an expensive backup but this would be used should I go that bit farther than planned, either by design or fault. It would also allow me to go farther or higher and not worry about running out of battery.

This will enable me to change to the spare battery, should I find myself 10 or so miles from home with no juice left, as we all know that pedalling a flat eBike is no easy task…. Any thoughts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've often ridden with one or even two full size spares in panniers to greatly extend range and never found it a problem, even though in a hilly area.

Better to put up with a bit of extra weight than try to pedal a dead e-bike home from far away.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I don't carry one on my current bike however it is 650W but I am just about to take delivery of a Focus Jam2 which only has a 378W battery so I have ordered their TEC pack which is an extra 378W battery and, for longer rides, I intend to backpack the spare. I understand it is about 2kg.

D

Deleted member 4366

I used to carry a spare 10S 5Ah lipo pack in my pocket for emergencies if I was going a long way, but now I can pedal harder and I weigh less, so I'm happy to pedal home without power if i run out of battery, though these days I tend to use my road bike for those sort of journeys anyway, which doesn't have a battery to go flat.

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
Not sure if I saw this comment on this forum or not, but I can’t find it again if I did.

Question was, does anyone carry a spare battery, along with the one fitted to the bike.

Thought about getting a smaller wattage spare battery, just to keep in the backpack.

I know it’s an expensive backup but this would be used should I go that bit farther than planned, either by design or fault. It would also allow me to go farther or higher and not worry about running out of battery.

This will enable me to change to the spare battery, should I find myself 10 or so miles from home with no juice left, as we all know that pedalling a flat eBike is no easy task…. Any thoughts.
Why carry dead weight, when you could parallel the packs, spread the load across them and extend their lives?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Why carry dead weight, when you could parallel the packs, spread the load across them and extend their lives?
But you could counter that by saying why make the bike even more cumbersome, heavy and awkward, especially when you have to negotiate over obstacles.

I'd sooner continue to carry a spare battery in my back pack, than have the extra weight added to an already heavy bike.

To the OP. I generally only carry a spare battery if I am heading out onto somewhere like the South Downs, and anticipate that the ride will be 35 miles plus. I also always carry one when in the Alps, but when the battery can be killed flat within ten miles, that is a bit of a no brainer.

For local riding of say 35 miles or less, I don't bother and just make sure that it lasts. This often still means careful management though.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi all, wasn't trying to start any kind of disagreements.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually invested in a spare battery, considering the expense.

Occasionally I go, 40 - 50 miles into the hills and have to get back to the car/start point. Sometimes you can underestimate the amount of climbing, and therefore battery usage you will use, no matter how well you plan your route. And sometimes you just want to go that bit further as the mood takes you.

I carry a lot of spares, tools, clothing, water and food etc, so my backpack is quite heavy anyway, and I don't mind, as my rides are more about exploring than "downhilling" but with a second battery, I can decide to take it or not, depending on the day.

Good to hear all the arguments though... thanks all for responding.

Has anyone actually cycled an eBike with no battery left, mine is quite hard if I switch the assist off, but strangely once I hit the limit of 15mph it seams easy to keep it going.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I carry a lot of spares, tools, clothing, water and food etc, so my backpack is quite heavy anyway, and I don't mind, as my ride are more about exploring than "downhilling" but with a second battery, I can decide to take it or not, depending on the day.
Same as that in both respects.

From carrying plenty of kit, to just going out exploring. :)

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
Does this count. I have ordered a Volt eBike, with large battery capacity +£200 on bike cost. Extends range to 80 miles, pending on rider and conditions and settings!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Always have frame battery and carry two older ones in top rack bag paralleled together on the 700c.
My mtb I tend to use lipo's as range extenders.
Riding in unpowered is ok but soon as you hit a bit of an incline the speed scrubs right off

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
But you could counter that by saying why make the bike even more cumbersome, heavy and awkward, especially when you have to negotiate over obstacles.

I'd sooner continue to carry a spare battery in my back pack, than have the extra weight added to an already heavy bike.
That makes no sense.

On the bike or on your back, you still have to accelerate and brake its mass.

On the bike, the frame,wheels and tires take the strain; on your back, you do.

And having mass flopping around high up on your back goes against every rule of mechanical efficiency, safety and ergonomic design.

I guess you're arguing the man rather than the logic; and would claim that shouldering your wheelbarrow saves on tyres.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There ia a quality backpack designed to carry Bosch powerpack 500 or similar, can't remember brand.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Occasionally I go, 40 - 50 miles... and have to get back to the car/start point.
I only have two small 374w/10.4Ah batteries, so if I plan a longer 40-50 mile ride, I tend to park-up and start at the mid-point of a trail. It means I can do the ride in two halves comfortably, and the weight of a spare battery, food, dry clothes etc. can be left in the van for half-time replenishment. I try not to carry any weight (other than my own, basic tools and water), and if something chronic did happen with the bike or the weather, at least I should never be too far from the van (I hope)!

Related Articles

Advertisers