Spare charger purchase

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Hello forum,

I am new to this , and have owned a e bike for 12 months. I havent cycled for 45 years but got fed up sitting in traffic. I commute 15 miles each way from the subarbs to north bristol most days. I picked up a demo peugeot 0co3 hybrid, which has benn immensly solid, comfortable and reliable. I have only got the 9ah battery, which i charge at work for the return journey. I am looking to but a reasnably priced spare charger to have at work so i dont have to carry it on my bike. Are there any third party vendors where i can get a charger which is compatable withJoycube 36v 9ah battery. Current charger is JCLCO84V42M its 42v 2.0 amp.

Thanks

Mark S

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As long as the charger connector is the same you can use any 42v 2a charger such as a Sans charger.
Have a look on ebay as petrol scooter do various chargers.

Show us a pic of the charger connector.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
As long as the charger connector is the same you can use any 42v 2a charger such as a Sans charger.

Hi cant post a pic at the moment but my charger has 5 pins, which plug into the battery

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 5 pin ones like that aren't common and most likely to OEM rather then after market, though you may find on one ebay or amazon. Other wise the best option seems to be the one linked to by Cyclebuddy.

Sam Wheale

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2018
Hi guys,

Looks like I chucked out our Pendleton Somerby charger, same 5 pin charger as pictured earlier in the thread, the last time a charity bag came through the door - my bad. I would have paid the £45 at Halfords but they don't seem to stock them any more. Nor does the merchant from that European link :(

Anywhere else I can go, sort of urgent as you can imagine. Nothing on eBay surprisingly.

Thanks.

Milan

Just Joined
Oct 26, 2018
The 5 pin ones like that aren't common and most likely to OEM rather then after market, though you may find on one ebay or amazon. Other wise the best option seems to be the one linked to by Cyclebuddy.
Hi do you know the correct name fir the connector? Is it XLR 5pin?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi do you know the correct name fir the connector? Is it XLR 5pin?
It is similar to xlr but looks like a different make brand and probably not be compatible in size or pin out wiring, extra pins using unnecessary comms for non compatibility.
The easiest charger battery combo uses a simple 2 pole jack plug/connector and only needs v+/v- and use the 5.5mm x2.1mm jacks/sockets all the other stuff is looked after by the bms.

Milan

Just Joined
Oct 26, 2018
It is similar to xlr but looks like a different make brand and probably not be compatible in size or pin out wiring, extra pins using unnecessary comms for non compatibility.
The easiest charger battery combo uses a simple 2 pole jack plug/connector and only needs v+/v- and use the 5.5mm x2.1mm jacks/sockets all the other stuff is looked after by the bms.
I might try to hot wire normal charge to it, what is BMS?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks so why some chargers have 5 pins if the battery charger supplies only current?
Often there's no sensible reason, other than making their charger the one you are likely to buy if you want a replacement or extra one. Lots of makers do this with anything from 3 pin to 7 pin connectors.

In some cases though there is a reason, the charge connector also incorporating the output connectors, monitoring and sometimes a supply for the handlebar unit. These are usually strip connectors built into the base of the battery.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks so why some chargers have 5 pins if the battery charger supplies only current?
The Bosch type use the extra connections as part of a safety interlock,and to provide a communications link between the battery, the visual display and the motor assembly.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Hi cant post a pic at the moment but my charger has 5 pins, which plug into the battery
I just had a thought, often the connector connecting the battery to the bike isn't the same as the connection on the battery used to charge the battery.

Are there any other ports or connectors on the battery?

Advertisers