spd shoes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bit late now lol so them shoes wont work then? got a link to some that will.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not really I'm afraid. :(

For pedals, I run a set of Shimano XT on each of the eMTB's and a set of Shimano XTR on the pedal mtb. XTR bought when on half price special offer.

After receiving a refund on a pair of Shimano Goretex winter boots/shoes (same as Gubbins owns I think) that just fell apart after a year of use, I used some of the refund to buy two pairs of Shimano M089 shoes that were on offer at £40.00 and a pair of BB artic overshoes. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m089-spd-mountain-bike-shoes-wide-fit/?sku=5360667443 I have found the combination superior to the winter boots. All boots fill with water, so you might just as well have two pairs on rotation.

I don't use flats, but the Funn Mamba seem to get good reviews.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so with the cb pedals i have to use there metal bits.
upload_2017-10-13_19-29-11.png

dont i just take the ones of the shoes and use the above that will come with the pedals?

the shoes have the same bolt pattern dont they just a case of swapping them over

• Agree
Reactions: argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Put the pedal compatible cleats on the shimano shoes you'll be fine.
Sit on bike, hold on to wall and practice clipping in and out.
All systems have their own float and tension.

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Put the pedal compatible cleats on the shimano shoes you'll be fine.
Sit on bike, hold on to wall and practice clipping in and out.
All systems have their own float and tension.
i thought so lol so just change the clips over adjust and try.

i went for the cb ons as want to stomp down rather than toe in first and have a flat side so can use the shoes or just normal trainers.

plus the cb ones were the only ones i liked but out of stock every where and had to get some from Germany lol.;)

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
...an I just don,t feel right clipped in..not that iv,e ever tried them..im thinking if you go for a tumble you gonna be stuck to bike no??..me mtb mate swears by them......

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
...an I just don,t feel right clipped in..not that iv,e ever tried them..im thinking if you go for a tumble you gonna be stuck to bike no??..me mtb mate swears by them......
yes they will come off bit like ski boots i guess but i also have never tried them but i want to be able to lift the bike more easy in to the air so not much option.

some bargains on ebay 2nd hand but not the ones i wanted ;(

• Informative
Reactions: Paul smith

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
No, they were developed from ski bindings. which were invented to stop broken legs when attached to ski's.
Every crash I've had I haven't even noticed being clipped in.
I was out for a spin over Cwm Cadlan, came round a corner head on with a tractor, steer left front wheel disappears into rut, unclipped, stepped off bike, bike somersaults over my head, and I'm stood there giving the tractor driver the thumbs up. Just make sure the tension is set right . :)
@Paul smith

• Informative
Reactions: Paul smith

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's a bit scary at first but you do get used to it ... I wouldn't go without them but have them set on the lowest setting for a quick release. No more slipping off the pedals and snagging your ankle bone.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It's a bit scary at first but you do get used to it ... I wouldn't go without them but have them set on the lowest setting for a quick release. No more slipping off the pedals and snagging your ankle bone.
i have crashed a fair few times at the ski centre tho it was a dry slope and a fair few years ago at school broke my thumb but skies always came off ;)

got banned from that lol said our group was to dangerous

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

he has clip less and came undone ok just the 10k plus bike died hitting a twig pmsl:eek:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For the first time in 30 odd years I am using toe clips, the strapless MTB variety from Zefal. So I no longer slip off the front and scrape my shins on the agressive pedals they do hold the foot on the pedal quite well. I will continue my project to add a bungee cord heel strap. That is just so that I can relax my muscles when zooming downhill at SW speeds without even pedaling! :) And so that my feet will come out when I eventually put it on the roof because of not slowing down enough for a corner... Apparently you aren't a real trike rider until you've rolled one :eek:

I would really like to set the bike up with ergotec pedals with toe clips and a sprung heel clip but that would require some design work and 3D printing...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've spds but didn't persist with them as I had knee issues at time, not related to spds. Use cages till recently, now switched to flats. Not had any problems with flats with FS eMTB, even on roughest terrain, did loss contact on big jump (for me) luckily they reconnected before touch down.
Justed fitted to HT will see how they go as feet get bounced around lot more.

Cages are pain MTBing as need to flick pedal round to engage, hard to do when trying to climb.

With flats check if they serviceable. First pair of giants werent, replacement Shimanos are. See youtube on servicing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Related Articles

Advertisers