Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
What a daft name for a bike!
But what a bike!
A more detailed intro to my recent ownership of said snappily named bike is in the "introduce yourself" forum.
Since then I've been riding and testing it as much as I can!
One of the things that I get a little OCD about is mud and seals. I don't clean my bikes very often, preferring to leave a "protective coating" on to stop the paint oxidizing. I do however, keep as much crud as possible off suspension and seatpost seals, and scrub the worst off my chain and cassette.
To this end, I fit splash guards to the front:

And rear:

I added a bit extra to the rear to try and keep as much out of the pivot area as possible. Sliced up inner tube, duct tape and (matching) zip ties.

And for the seat post, more inner tube:

Last time I went out at night, I found the battery condition LED's to be a distraction. They are very bright at the side of your leg! A strip of duct tape worked , but I thought this old chainstay protector worked better:

Then went out for a spin. The mud wasn't up to the usual standard, but enough to show that it is an improvement.

Whilst out, I bumped into another e-biker (e-MTBist?) in the Forest so had a good chat with him. Our stories matched almost identically, and we accepted some good natured abuse from a bunch of non assisted riders with the good grace that age and wisdom allows. Looking forward to our normal Thursday night ride this evening, and the rain had just stopped. bring it on.
Mark

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Eddie,
It looks worse in the photos than it really is, but I can get my fingers between the tyre and stays all the way round. The proof will be once the trails get sticky, I'll post the results up here when they do!
Mark

Reactions: Andy D and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly often the way with photos.

Luckily your local soil doesn't look to be the heavy clay and chalk that we have, so hopefully no issues for you. :)

Enjoy the bike, and it's encouraging to read that you will be using it in all conditions. It is what they are designed for. :)

Last edited:

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Whilst out, I bumped into another e-biker (e-MTBist?) in the Forest so had a good chat with him. Our stories matched almost identically, and we accepted some good natured abuse from a bunch of non assisted riders with the good grace that age and wisdom allows. Looking forward to our normal Thursday night ride this evening, and the rain had just stopped. bring it on.
Mark[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark - was that the Forest of Dean you were in yesterday by any chance?

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Soundwave, yes I've seen these, cheers.
The Specialized tyres are "tubeless ready", and the appropriate valve stems came with the bike. My Orange has been tubeless since I got it of e-bay a couple of years ago and has been (mainly) trouble free, so I decided to see how the +size tyres cope. Popping the bead off and taking out the tube was easier than expected. The valve stem fit nice and snug with a good seal from the o-ring, and I splashed 150 ml of Café Latex in each tyre and banged them up to about 30psi with the compressor. The tyres seated quickly and evenly and I had a quick spin round the block to distribute the sealant before dropping the pressures back to a reasonable level. Now to find the optimum pressure for the conditions, 20psi seems like a reasonable place to start.
Mark

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
What a daft name for a bike!
But what a bike!
A more detailed intro to my recent ownership of said snappily named bike is in the "introduce yourself" forum.
Since then I've been riding and testing it as much as I can!
One of the things that I get a little OCD about is mud and seals. I don't clean my bikes very often, preferring to leave a "protective coating" on to stop the paint oxidizing. I do however, keep as much crud as possible off suspension and seatpost seals, and scrub the worst off my chain and cassette.
To this end, I fit splash guards to the front:

And rear:

I added a bit extra to the rear to try and keep as much out of the pivot area as possible. Sliced up inner tube, duct tape and (matching) zip ties.

And for the seat post, more inner tube:

Last time I went out at night, I found the battery condition LED's to be a distraction. They are very bright at the side of your leg! A strip of duct tape worked , but I thought this old chainstay protector worked better:

Then went out for a spin. The mud wasn't up to the usual standard, but enough to show that it is an improvement.

Mark
Great post! I've been looking for something to do with all my old tubes! Also agree about the cleaning, quickest way to kill a bike can be to overclean it!

Reactions: earthmover

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Still not cleaned it, but have changed the rear "mudguard" for a proper one, those fat tyres really throw some mud! Pictures to follow.
Cheers
Mark

Reactions: stephen Harvey

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
As promised, a "Mudhugger", nicked off my Orange.

And a better pic showing the clearance betwixt rear tyre and frame.

Cheers
Mark

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Crockers, the obvious answer is "I look down" :)

Sorry, couldn't help it!
Very happy with it up to press, smooth, quiet, provides just enough assistance for my normal riding or stupid hill climbing ability in turbo.
Anything specific you are thinking of?
Mark

• :D
Reactions: IR772

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Crockers, the obvious answer is "I look down" :)

Sorry, couldn't help it!
Very happy with it up to press, smooth, quiet, provides just enough assistance for my normal riding or stupid hill climbing ability in turbo.
Anything specific you are thinking of?
Mark
Lol

Everyone has Bosche or Yamaha it appears. I love the way Brose don't force their own batteries onto the manufacturer allowing for far more esthetic looks. On saying that others are getting more streamlined.

Ruti Robart

Just Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
New Member here Ruti from Boston Massachusetts

I have specialized Turbo Levo Expert Since June of 2016. Absolutely love this bike have ridden about 1300 miles. Usually ride in 35% output seem to be calculated range of (I never ride that far) 18-25 miles on a full charge. I will turn the power up to 50% output when it's really hot or I am really tired. I'm 62 and started MTBing at 59 does the word addiction have any meaning for anyone else? I love this bike it has allowed me to ride with much better riders by being able to mostly keep up with them, the increase in my skill level has skyrocketed this season, riding with great riders will do that for you along with crashing more often. (broke a rib this week)

I'm looking for other's experience with drive train issues. I recently broke my chain twice in three weeks. From first five minutes of demonstrating this bike I knew this was going to be a problem, the torque is just TOO much for the current drive train. I'm sure that rear cassettes are going to likewise wear quickly.

Please let me know if you have had the same problem. I have learned how to shift 90% of the time without the horror inducing sound of the gear train "ping", that being said SRAM has just released EX1 1 X 8 drive train for e bikes the extra space over a 1 X 11 that allows for a beefier steel cassette with a wider chain.

I realize that we're early adopters of this emerging tech, however something that was obvious from the beginning namely that the drive train that is not strong enough should be addressed directly with Specialized who is undoubtably aware of this problem

• Informative
Reactions: chris130256

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
It sounds to me that you are using full assistance most of the time to be knocking the drive train about like that.

This guy does the same with his Bosch.

Related Articles

Advertisers