Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The breaking strain of an 11-speed chain is plenty strong enough for a nominal 250w motor.

On any bike, chains sometimes come apart, although twice in a short time is against the odds.

I still think Ruti needs to look elsewhere for the cause.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The chain on my Haibike was forever breaking, a replacement has lasted quite well, around 2500 miles.

The same brand of chain, I suspect they had a bad batch.

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Ruti,
Sorry to take so long to reply, not been near a computer that much for the last few days.
I have, however, been out on the bike a lot. I run my assistance at 15% most of the time, only using 50% for the occasional climb. 100% has only really been used for dicking about. My normal pedalling style is to spin rather than push higher gears and bigger torque. As yet I have had no issues with the drivetrain at all. We don't have that much elevation here, we just repeat it often. According to the stats on my monitor, the bike has done only 320km up to press, so perhaps a bit early to tell.
Cheers
Mark

Reactions: stephen Harvey

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Update.
Just got back from a morning at Llandegla, my first time with assistance. Set off for a lap set to 100% to see a) how long the battery would last, and b) how much fun it would be! The first climb is normally 30 minutes of hell as you fight 157m of elevation over 4.8km of fire road. Breezed up it in 16 mins, grinning like a loon. Then the real fun starts, the red and black runs all include some stiff climbs, but the decents are worth it, even without assist. With assist I was able to climb stuff I normally have to push up, my granny ring on my Orange not being granny enough for my little legs!
The biggest revelation for me though was the handling, the Levo really showed its true colours as I PB'd most of the downhill runs, purely because of the way it sticks to the floor round corners! Jumps are less of an issue than I thought, the weight make itself felt obviously, but it felt far more stable than I expected, to the point that I was hitting stuff a lot harder than I had before.
Back at the cafe after an hour and a half, the battery was showing 6/10 left, so a quick coffee and a bacon sandwich, and out for another lap! The car park was heaving by now, as were the trails, so it was a more leisurely lap that followed, but I have never had the energy for 2 laps before......
Even more impressed now. :)
Mark

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Chez,
Yes, that was me! Didn't see any other e-bikes, or I would have stopped!
Mark

Chez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2016
Shropshire / north wales
I was with a pair of unconverted , we were swapping bikes and I had a go on a top end carbon hardtail merida it was good but now I've seen the light I won't be going back ,I go up to llandegla quite often if I spot you I'll introduce myself

Cyberil

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Herts
Hi. I just bought the same Levo a few weeks back. After riding MTBs for 25 years my diabetes had pushed me to take riding a bit easier. I love this bike more than my Turner Czar which is only 3 months old. Was wondering what pressures you all run in the Purgatorys. I'm 103 kilo and run the front at 14 and the rear at 16. I run tubeless but was thinking of dropping pressure further for the winter or getting a winter specific tyre. Also if anyone else has hacked their settings to insane speeds like I did last weekend, did you find that the bike would not engage the motor at slowish speeds when climbing? I'm finding that the Specialized Mission Control on the 2000 setting works best.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi. I just bought the same Levo a few weeks back. After riding MTBs for 25 years my diabetes had pushed me to take riding a bit easier. I love this bike more than my Turner Czar which is only 3 months old. Was wondering what pressures you all run in the Purgatorys. I'm 103 kilo and run the front at 14 and the rear at 16. I run tubeless but was thinking of dropping pressure further for the winter or getting a winter specific tyre. Also if anyone else has hacked their settings to insane speeds like I did last weekend, did you find that the bike would not engage the motor at slowish speeds when climbing? I'm finding that the Specialized Mission Control on the 2000 setting works best.
Are you saying the Specialized / Brose can be easily changed from a 25kph limit??

Cyberil

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Herts
Are you saying the Specialized / Brose can be easily changed from a 25kph limit??
Yes. Either with the mission control app or by using an app called Light Blue on your phone and following these instructions for insane riding. It thinks you're running skateboard wheels.

Switch off mission control
Switch on Bike
Switch on Light Blue
Go to 00000002
Change hex no. to 02002003

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ and D8ve

Cyberil

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Herts
Yes. Either with the mission control app or by using an app called Light Blue on your phone and following these instructions for insane riding. It thinks you're running skateboard wheels.

Switch on Bike
Switch on Light Blue
Go to 00000002
You can also try these codes at your own risk.

02002003 <=> 700 mm
0200B004 <=> 1200 mm
0200DC05 <=> 1500 mm
02000807 <=> 1800 mm

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Hi Cyberil,
I run 18psi front and rear. I'm not happy any lower, maybe that's just me. Changed the front for a 2.8 Maxxis Rekon, as it was supposed to be a more aggressive tyre. The jury is still out on that one.
Have heard about the hack, but don't feel the need to try it out (Have a KTM for that! :))
Not had any issues with the motor not engaging, I have the pedal assist set between "race" and "normal" after a chat with my local Specialized store guru about it feeling slow to disengage occasionally. There is a firmware update coming soon I'm told, waiting for him to call me when he has the details.
Glad to hear you're enjoying yours!
Mark

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
did you have remove left crank arm to fit your hacker (D----E) if so how does it come off as I need to fit mine

• Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015

Switch on Bike
Switch on Light Blue
Go to 00000002

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
How do I change settings to 2000 is it wheel circumference in mission control thanks

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015

Switch on Bike
Switch on Light Blue
Go to 00000002
What is light blue help please or how do I do it in mission control cheers

Cyberil

Just Joined
Nov 22, 2016
Herts
What is light blue help please or how do I do it in mission control cheers
You can change to 2000mm in mission control under the tune menu. If you want to go faster by reducing the wheel size you'll need to use light blue. I've found 2000mm to be OK. But I've only used the bike 6 times. Hope that helps.

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Bump this thread.

Here's my "new" Levo Comp 2017. I bought it second had, but it had only 222km on the clock so basically it was like new. After couple of rides here are my thoughts.

It rides and pedals great. So good that I can live with the quirks the bike has. It's size XL and fits me perfectly (I'm 190cm). First time ever I didn't have to swap stem or handlebars on a new bike.

Did I say it's quiet and smooth? :) It does make a bit of sound when motor is putting out more wattage, but then it sounds like my Bosch powered KTM on eco mode. Suspension is really nice, I'm pleasantly surprised with the Yari fork. The stock Specialized tires work good too, no need to replace them. I'm running them tubeless.

Because the bike is so "stealth", there are some design issues with the battery. The battery is secured with a bolt, I can live with that and it's not that much slower to open than with a key on Bosch etc. The major gripe here is that you have to unplug the battery from the motor, even if you charged the battery on bike. The connector is on the bottom of the frame and not that convenient, not to mention dirty after riding. It feels like a quick and dirty solution and I'm sure Specialized will re-design this for future models.

Mode selector is in the battery, not very convenient. Specialized realized this too and fixed it for the 2018 models. I believe it could be retro fitted to older models, I need to look into it. My bike came with the Garmin remote, and it sucks. The buttons are too small and the bluetooth connection to the motor seems flaky. Sometimes I need to push the buttons multiple times before it changes mode.

I should not write about Mission Control app before I have updated the bike, but I will anyway. Settings are a bit too complicated. You have assist level and max motor current, and these two result in big ??????. Otherwise the app is cool, you see your pedal power and motor output in watts, also how many Wh you are using per KM. I'm so used to Bosch assist levels that I will try to replicate them in Mission Control after I have the bike updated.

Sounds like a crap bike? No, it's great, I love riding it! But it will be expensive for me to update to the 2019 or whatever model which has the battery etc issues fixed :D

Turbo Levo Comp 2017.jpg

Reactions: Rouge Rider

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I'm about to bite the bullet on one of these, although still deciding between comp and expert. Wondering if the £600 extra is worth it for the pike forks and bigger battery.
Does anyone who owns one here worry about battery security, or are you strictly off road so always with your bike?
What, if any, mods have people done?

Related Articles

Advertisers