Speedo fault

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Hey all just a quick well in fact there's lots of history here anyway...... long time ago I purchased a speedbox 2 and since then it's been temperamental some days it would read 0 mph and flag up error on screen..... normally a tap in the motor area would bring it back to life....... so today I washed and lubed the bike and it's reading 0mph...... long story short I've removed speedo back to factory and still not working..... I've dropped down the motor to have a look and can't see anything pinched or corroded so I'm thinking speed sensor? How do I test it with a multI meter?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
move it and kick it some more ;)

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Was either dirty contacts or the signal from the speed sensor was tracking across the terminals, cleaned out with contact cleaner and all good again.

Reactions: Steve A

bobp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2017
Whitehaven Cumbria
Had this problem with my SX2. Kept re-occurring so stripped it out .
Don,t really need it off road and you soon run out of gears on road..

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just in process of changing to a 20t up front x 11t rear cassette with bikespeedrs dongle. Will be interesting to see what kind of speed I get.
Currently have a 18t upfront with 11t rear cassette and can get to about 33mph, but assist cuts out at this point, hopefully not with rs.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
No, I'm changing dongle as well. The bikespeed rs has no cut out so it's down to gearing / cadence. Think i'll hit 40mph, as current gearing there's more to give.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I think 'll end up being able to cruise to work at about 20mph, with no sweat. I found that with current gearing i.e. 18t front / 11 rear I can cruise at about 20plus mph in eco/tour mode so battery is fine for getting to work.
I did some tests with gearing / battery/ effort / mode. The sweet spot seems to be eco/tour for battery, high cadence about 80-85, 19-20mph / small cog.
I like the idea of being able to hit turbo, effort, high cadence and get past 33mph on very rare occasions.

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
My avarage speed was about 20-24mph on touring with a range of about 30 miles on eco I could get about 50.....
Also daily commute is 48 miles and so far racked up 2967miles on odometer and bit worried about the motor packing up one day soon plus it's void the warrentry.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I think the secret is to maintain bike well and be conscious of motor, battery and gearing in terms of not abusing them. Like all things the motor will eventually go, but at least you can buy a new one (not that you want to have to of course.
I remember doing a turbo only ride, about 18-20miles and when I got back the battery would not recharge as it was too hot. I read instructions and to my relief it's a safety feature. Once cooled, I recharged. I'm now conscious of battery heat / premature life, changing gears smoothly etc etc.
Also not worried about warranty as I'm covered with shop I bought it from. However, I would remove dongle if there was an issue.

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
I'm pretty sure bosch will know if I dingle has been fitted due to current against speed however I'm yet to befriend someone who has a diagnostic machine to see exactly what can be seen. I too have had the hot battery issue. I think weekly I do a deep clean on the bike and every few day oil the chain and give a wipe over.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no dealer can tell if a dongle has been fitted other than you posting on here that you have one.

no dealer has ever proved they can tell a dongle has been use and posted proof of this on here or anywhere else.

all the motors are rated 350w with the speed software restricted, inside all the motors are the same other than the cx with its smaller casing.

ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty and bosch must know this and he can get away with it.

so a dongle just gives you what the motor was made for in the first place. ;)

you got a link to that rear mud guard?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Are you talking about the black guard with the blue logo? If so then that is one of those mucky nutz fenders that I modified...... I got some plastic vinal sheet from model craft and made the fender longer then cut to shape. I wanted it to protect the rear shock and pivot.

Advertisers