Spokes on E Bike Problem!

Essex Rider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2017
Essex
I wonder if anyone here can help with a problem I have with my e bike.

The hub is on the back wheel & about 12 spokes have broken & the wheel has become a little buckled. Via e bay I have managed to obtain replacement spokes & nipples.

The first bike repair shop I took it to said they don't fix e bikes, the second one that sells e bikes (but not my make) said because there is no break in the electric cable to the hub it would be very difficult to replace the spokes & straighten the buckle without risking breaking the electrical wire.

So, at the moment I am left with an e bike I can not ride & maybe not get fixed ever due to the electric cable not having a break in it.

Has anybody come across this problem & fixed it or does anybody know of anybody in the Essex/London area that can fix it for me?

Thanks for any help or info given.

D

Deleted member 4366

Woosh bikes in Southend know what they're doing. maybe if you plead your case correctly, they'll sort it for you.

If one spoke breaks, then you can replace it with one the same. If four spokes break, something is wrong, so you need to have the whole wheel completely rebuilt with new spokes. Use 14g spokes to be sure of not getting a recurrence of the problem.

Where exactly in Essex are you?

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Essex Rider

Jul 26, 2017
Essex
Woosh bikes in Southend know what they're doing. maybe if you plead your case correctly, they'll sort it for you.

If one spoke breaks, then you can replace it with one the same. If four spokes break, something is wrong, so you need to have the whole wheel completely rebuilt with new spokes. Use 14g spokes to be sure of not getting a recurrence of the problem.

Where exactly in Essex are you?
I am in Chelmsford. The replacement spokes I have just purchased are 12G. I tried another local bike repair shop & left it with them & they called me & said that their mechanic has looked at it & it needs a new rim as well & for them to fix it will be £100 but they didn't mention the issue with electrical cable that the Electric bike shop flagged up, so I don't know.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unsual now a days not to have a cable join along the rear stay but even so it should be possible to disconnect it at the controller.
Which bike do you have ?

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's not too late, get some 14g spokes. 12g is too stiff. they'll give you a less comfy ride and probably come loose again.

Essex Rider

Jul 26, 2017
Essex
Update:

So in the end I tried about 5 local bike shops including one that sold & fixed Electric bikes & the 5th shop finally managed to fix it by a determined mechanic who took the trouble & time (6 hours) to eventually do it.

He recommended trying to find someone who could possibly put a break in the wiring to the back wheel & have a connector fitted so one could easily disconnect the cable thus enabling the back wheel to come off thus making it easier to repair back wheel issues in the future but I haven't got a clue who to ask apart from an electrician of course.

D

Deleted member 4366

The cable runs to the controller, where the connectors are. The most you normally have to do is cut 3 or 4 cable ties and undo 4 screws to completely detach the motor cable. That's 5 minutes work maximum. What bike is it?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Update:

So in the end I tried about 5 local bike shops including one that sold & fixed Electric bikes & the 5th shop finally managed to fix it by a determined mechanic who took the trouble & time (6 hours) to eventually do it.

He recommended trying to find someone who could possibly put a break in the wiring to the back wheel & have a connector fitted so one could easily disconnect the cable thus enabling the back wheel to come off thus making it easier to repair back wheel issues in the future but I haven't got a clue who to ask apart from an electrician of course.
. Agree with d8veh. I wanted to replace the rear cassette gears and replace some spokes on a ebike. The tool used to remove it wouldn't fit over the cable protection. The bike tech was at a dead loss. I just took a snips and sheared the cable. He then did the jobs he was competent to do.. Fixed spokes trued wheel etc and gave the bike back to me. 20 minutes with a soldering iron, and insulation tape, to separate the conductor s and then a bit of silicone sealant and everything as right as rain. The wires are colour coded , so all you have to ensure is that they match up. If you are unhappy with soldering, the standard connector strip will work almost as well, but the overall bundle is bulkier

Last edited:

Essex Rider

Jul 26, 2017
Essex
The cable runs to the controller, where the connectors are. The most you normally have to do is cut 3 or 4 cable ties and undo 4 screws to completely detach the motor cable. That's 5 minutes work maximum. What bike is it?
It is an unbranded one.