Spot the difference...

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not as simple as that. The main thing, the motor, is different for a start, so is the controller amd the battery. I've not studied a Wisper close up, but I have an Oxygen in my shed at the moment, which is a similar sort of bike: Every fixing is stainless steel - every nut and bolt- as far as I can see. That alone would account for a chunk of the price difference. The Woosh Sirocco is a nice bike for the money, but so is the Wisper. You have to decide what you want and then decide how much you want to pay.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks d8veh!

I wasn't going to comment as the differences are so numerous, it would mean listing every component down to the spokes and detailing the differences!! Although I could use such an excersise to sell Wisper I simply don't have the time at the moment. I wonder what people will think of the new German made 905Classic that will be retailed at £1,799.00?

There are a lot of less scrupulous Chinese companies that try and cash in on Wisper's success buy copying our style. The bikes are always cheap and never have the same components even the frame is completely different, ours is hydro formed. Fortunately I don't think they manage to fool that many people.

I do wonder however about the companies that import these cheap bikes, why chose a bike that looks a bit like a Wisper, there are so many other styles to chose from!

I would simply advise anyone that is even slightly confused to try both.......

All the best

David

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I think the motor is the same (although wisper now offer a Japanese option), both have 15Ahr Li-po batteries, and the frames are aluminium. The weights are similar.

Sirocco 2 Specifications:

36Volts 15AH Lithium battery
Maximum speed 15 miles per hour
Dual control: pedal assist and twist grip throttle
range: 40-60 miles on flat roads with throttle control, more with pedal assist
20″ frame, 26″ wheels, suitable for average riders (5′ 4″ to 6.4″)
Aluminum frame
Motor: lightweight Bafang 8-Fun brushless rear hub motor rated 250W
Brakes: front disc brakes, rear V brakes
Saddle: Velo mens city style
Tyres: Kenda 26″ by 1.95″
Battery charger for UK mains
Weight (including all accessories): 25kgs
bell and lights
Guarantee: 1 year parts and labour, excluding consumables

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
What a charming young lady they have modelling the Whisper-look-alike.. that skirt looks a bit riske for bicycle riding..not to mention those shoes ;-)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks d8veh!

I wasn't going to comment as the differences are so numerous, it would mean listing every component down to the spokes and detailing the differences!! Although I could use such an excersise to sell Wisper I simply don't have the time at the moment. I wonder what people will think of the new German made 905Classic that will be retailed at £1,799.00?

There are a lot of less scrupulous Chinese companies that try and cash in on Wisper's success buy copying our style. The bikes are always cheap and never have the same components even the frame is completely different, ours is hydro formed. Fortunately I don't think they manage to fool that many people.

I do wonder however about the companies that import these cheap bikes, why chose a bike that looks a bit like a Wisper, there are so many other styles to chose from!

I would simply advise anyone that is even slightly confused to try both.......

All the best

David
David can't you take legal action against these UK sellers who sell these bikes, as the frame is so clearly similar to the Whisper design it's hard to tell the difference to the untrained eye..and as you say, they're obviously cashing in on your brand reputation and investment... surely there's legal grounds for these bikes causing confusion in the marketplace? A county court injunction on each seller perhaps preventing sales would be my approach. If someone blatantly ripped off the design of my products I'd be mad as hell and go after them with everything.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Morfix, unless the frames are practically identical we would not win the case. I understand the thinking behind the way some Chinese companies are trying to cash in on our success. (I must point out that not all Chinese electric bike companies are the same and most would never stoop so low.) It is an easy way into the market, some go as far as to say that they manufacture Wiper bikes and others have the cheek to say they actually designed the bike! I was rather embarrassingly asked to leave an exhibition in Shanghai a couple of years ago when a guy told me that he had designed the frame and Wisper had nothing to do with it. The exchange that followed was to say the least "frank and short" also a little to loud for the security guards comfort. They did apologise in the end and let me go on my merry way!

I find the best way to deal with is to be the best at what we do. You must also consider that they are starting from a position where they have to be cheaper than us.... or what's the point? So they cannot possibly use the same components, if they did the bikes would cost as much if not more than a genuine Wisper. I have to content myself with being a little smug when I see another Chinese firm trying to copy what we have spent seven years perfecting. That is shaded with a little disappointment when I see an otherwise reputable British firm resorting to such tactics. All I can imagine is that they are having a tough time.

Anyone that had the budget to buy a genuine Wisper would never buy one of these clones, so like Rolex we simply let them get on with it. I don't think we actually lose any business. And one day perhaps they will be able to afford a real Wisper

All the best

David

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
This reminds me of the situation I wrote on an essay on last year and discussed with flecc, about supermarkets abusing their power and control over the food retail marketplace by copycatting well known brand food items like snicker and mars bars. Tesco even copy the colours of the packaging and the products are practically identical. The supermarkets can produce such well established products very cheaply without the product development costs and brand investment.

The brand manufacturers are between a rock and a hard place, they can't very well sue or take legal action against the supermarkets who are after all their biggest market platform and could simply stop selling their products in retaliation..all they can do is see their market share shrinking to the supermarkets.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
ROFPMSL ... go sue China :D

I do rather like that Doris with the short skirt
Hi Dave you have a point it would be impossible, did you see the Chinese BMW X5 on Top Gear? The Chinese Government concluded it was not a copy! Mind you I should say that I do not think the Chinese are a corrupt a nation! :rolleyes:

I especially like the bit when they simulated the Chinese safety checks by crashing the car into a mattress at 2 mph!!

I think that Morfix is saying I should sue the importers, actually it may be worth considering!

All the best

David

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi Dave you have a point it would be impossible, did you see the Chinese BMW X5 on Top Gear? The Chinese Government concluded it was not a copy! Mind you I should say that I do not think the Chinese are a corrupt a nation! :rolleyes:

I especially like the bit when they simulated the Chinese safety checks by crashing the car into a mattress at 2 mph!!

I think that Morfix is saying I should sue the importers, actually it may be worth considering!

All the best

David
Yeah exactly, you can't stop what goes on China as Dave probably knows only too well, their lapse regulation and dubious ethical practices of many businesses means its every man for himself... but in the UK, the businesses which are importing these Whisper clones know full well this is unethical and they're cashing in on another businesses hard work and investment. You can certainly go after these businesses and I don't think it would cost you much..there is even legislation on "passing off" and damaging the goodwill and value of a business and its products. If you took action against one firm and it made news, it might deter all the others.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
One very, very last point.....

Today Sussex Police ordered another five Wispers to add to their fleet of twenty Wisper 905se's. These bikes are used every single day by big burly coppers who travel up to fifty miles on them. They have used them for six months now and apart from the odd puncture and a couple of fuses they have had no problems. Now that's the difference!

All the best

David

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Curious...is the Whisper 905 series a patented design? Or does it have patents on certain elements?

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I'm genuinely confused here. The components on the 'look-a-like' match those on my 2008 wisper - and are admittedly cheap but work ok. Is it the case that the 2011 wisper on that link has had a £820 upgrade compared with the 2008 model?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
One very, very last point.....

Today Sussex Police ordered another five Wispers to add to their fleet of twenty Wisper 905se's. These bikes are used every single day by big burly coppers who travel up to fifty miles on them. They have used them for six months now and apart from the odd puncture and a couple of fuses they have had no problems. Now that's the difference!

All the best

David
You should sell some to my local bobbies..I see the young WPC's out of breath pedalling around still on their unpowered bikes.. they have full size MTB's but have put some police stickers on them :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yeah exactly, you can't stop what goes on China as Dave probably knows only too well, their lapse regulation and dubious ethical practices of many businesses means its every man for himself... but in the UK, the businesses which are importing these Whisper clones know full well this is unethical and they're cashing in on another businesses hard work and investment. You can certainly go after these businesses and I don't think it would cost you much..there is even legislation on "passing off" and damaging the goodwill and value of a business and its products. If you took action against one firm and it made news, it might deter all the others.
Thanks Morfix I think we will make enquiries, as you say this is blatant and calculated to confuse the unwary, it is undoubtedly passing off as our freind in Hackney has pointed out.

All the best

David

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
did you see the Chinese BMW X5 on Top Gear? The Chinese Government concluded it was not a copy! Mind you I should say that I do not think the Chinese are a corrupt a nation! :rolleyes:
Corrupt ... is a funny old word, lets just say that there seems to be a different method of appraising a situation.:p

Morfix is saying I should sue the importers,
O'h :rolleyes:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There are quite a few e-bikes on the market which are similar to the two under discussion.

Here's another: Volt Pulse Hybrid Electric Bike, Electric Bike Store

I think passing off is a non-starter, products aiming for the same market will inevitably look similar.

Medium sized hatchback cars is a good example.

And beware the chicken and egg situation.

Woosh might say the Wisper is an over-priced clone of their bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'm genuinely confused here. The components on the 'look-a-like' match those on my 2008 wisper - and are admittedly cheap but work ok. Is it the case that the 2011 wisper on that link has had a £820 upgrade compared with the 2008 model?
I can confirm Andy that the 2012 Wisper se bike is completely different to the 2008 model. I do not think one part is the same, but I would need to check.

We really have come on a long way in the last four or five years and are just about to make another round of improvements. For instance the forks we use are now a magnesium alloy construction with lock out and pretension, and the wiring/electronics have completely changed, a couple of minor points but every improvement adds to the cost of the bike. I bet however you would be surprised at how many components on your 4/5 year old Wisper are superior to the one you mention.

How is your 2008 Wisper going? I hope it is still working well for you?

All the best

David