SRAM EX1 first impressions review

steveness

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
Get tool that measures 0.5 and 0.75, cheaper ones only do 0.75 and 1.0.
Given chain + chainring are about 10% of new cassette, I'd try changing closer to 0.5 mark than 0.75. Would be interesting to see how much longer cassette lasts.
Yeah, I've ordered the Park CC-2. I'm just really suprised the EX1 chain had stretched that much in such a short time. Like I say, I think by using the different modes rather than the gears I put additional load into the chain causing it to stretch prematurely.

I will keep a very beady eye on it this time round :)

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
My Shimano 10s cassette (CS‐HG62) has lasted 10815km = 6720mi !!! but I got tired of it before it weared out :) now on shelf :)
(almost every km of that is on wheel motor bike, they must be very gentle to the drive train)

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
Just to update, I went for the replacement cassette rather than changing brands. The bike is back to seemless shifting, so this time round I will measure the chain wear after every ride. I've also changed the way I'm using the battery modes (eco for most of the ride, only upping the power on large climbs).

I'll update this thread when it comes to chain replacement time and let you know how many miles I get (112 so far)

Cheers

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
great, actually I replaced mine now :) after about 1471 km then. I can say that is way too long to use it (with a Bosch CX-drive). The smaller cogs and the drive cog is weared too much so the drive train is not running smoothly here :) but I don't feel like changing anything more right now. So I will stick with it for a while longer. But I will buy this last three small cogs and a drive cog, together with a new chain. To replace next time!

D

Deleted member 22539

great, actually I replaced mine now :) after about 1471 km then. I can say that is way too long to use it (with a Bosch CX-drive). The smaller cogs and the drive cog is weared too much so the drive train is not running smoothly here :) but I don't feel like changing anything more right now. So I will stick with it for a while longer. But I will buy this last three small cogs and a drive cog, together with a new chain. To replace next time!
Hi
Is it only wearing the last set of cogs on the rear cassette then ?

steveness

Apr 26, 2017
nottinghamshire
I wish mine had only worn those 3 as the rest are forged in one piece and I'd worn one of those :(

Lesson learned for me is to keep checking the chain wear.. apart from that the EX1 is really good, just expensive !

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 22539

don't know but I don't feel it on the bigger when biking. Maybe it is the on fifth gear as well. Don't hope so :) Will check it out next time i'm out.
Cheers I will keep an eye on mine for sure

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
It is on the fifth gear as well :( good design of them, now I need to buy the whole cassette! :)

D

Deleted member 22539

It is on the fifth gear as well :( good design of them, now I need to buy the whole cassette! :)
You read all the bull and is says "we have made the cassette out of tool steel for extra durability" and you had how many miles out of it ?
I did 3800miles on my xt 11spd and it still wasn't knackered changing the chain every 750 or so miles, I was hoping for at least that may be more out the ex1 with all there hype.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
You read all the bull and is says "we have made the cassette out of tool steel for extra durability" and you had how many miles out of it ?
I did 3800miles on my xt 11spd and it still wasn't knackered changing the chain every 750 or so miles, I was hoping for at least that may be more out the ex1 with all there hype.
yes, that's first class premium bullshit! One can hope Sunrace makes a version for EX1 :)

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
FWIW, I've found SRAM cassettes to last nearly forever if not physically damaged. I regularly replace chain + chainring (aftermarket chainrings + OEM chain) as a pair, and have had good success. I have EX1 on my KTM bike and have had generally positive experiences thus far. A little bit of drivetrain noise if not adjusted precisely, but reliable shifting.
You are spot on there! I had a worn chain on my rear bafang hub bike. It was just over 1% worn so I assumed a new chain and a rear cassette. Since it was an 8 speed Sram it was cheap to replace anyway. After the hassle of removing the rear wheel, torque arms etc. and removing the old cassette, I compared it with the new one and found no discernible difference whatsoever! I did fit the new one just in case. The pair will probably outlast the bike provide I change the chain at 1%. How do I get by on only 8 speed ( and triple chain ring)? No problem at all. Admittedly those cassettes are quite heavy being steel. It's the price you pay... or not in this case.

Related Articles

Advertisers