Stabilisers for adult bike (and rider!)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Has any one experience of using stabilisers on an adult-size e-bike? One of us has become a trifle wobbly, especially when coming to a halt. Throttle assisted take-offs OK for the moment but a little extra stability would be welcome. Possibly not ready for a trike just yet.
We saw some adult sized (?) stabilisers advertised on Amazon, but details about attachment to an e-bike unclear. Help!
Tom

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't do it. The steering becomes reversed, so you may crash at the first turn. Als, theres a high chance of toppling at any corner. A wide trike maybe better, but beware of reversed steering.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Don't do it. The steering becomes reversed, so you may crash at the first turn. Als, theres a high chance of toppling at any corner. A wide trike maybe better, but beware of reversed steering.
Reversed steering? Wots dat den? Sounds nasty but brain cell defeated - why does adding 2 small wheels have this effect?
Tom

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Reversed steering? Wots dat den? Sounds nasty but brain cell defeated - why does adding 2 small wheels have this effect?
Tom
Imagine trying to ride with the bike support stand permanently down. Every time you turn or lean the bike it strikes the ground. I imagine that is what stabilisers wheels would be like. They are ok for learning to ride in a straight line but little more.

I agree that a trike is probably the next step if balance has become an overiding issue.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I think the Trike is a better solution I would recommend a Mission trike they have many models and then a front wheel conversion a 24 inch wheel would do better as the gearing on the motor will pull up hills better

We have kits to convert

Also Cyclezee See his add on the right

Hope this Helps

Frank

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Take note though that advancing years/medical conditions may cause balance issues but some medications can also be the root cause.

And of course intoxicating liquor. :) Although I am not suggesting a trike may be the best solution for this.

D

Deleted member 4366

Tom
Steering on a bicycle is not what you think. You apply a force turning the bars to the left, and the bike will lean to the right. The bike then balances by turning to the right.

On a trike or bike with stabilisers, the bike goes in the direction of turning the bars, so you apply a force in the opposite direction.

When you're riding your bike straight, try pushing your right bar foward ans see which way you go. Prepare yourself for a surprise.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Steering on a bicycle is not what you think. You apply a force turning the bars to the left, and the bike will lean to the right. The bike then balances by turning to the right.

On a trike or bike with stabilisers, the bike goes in the direction of turning the bars, so you apply a force in the opposite direction.

When you're riding your bike straight, try pushing your right bar foward ans see which way you go. Prepare yourself for a surprise.
Thanks!
Tom

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Many thanks to all. I think the first step will be to have the Doc look over our cocktail of pills and potions to see if any blend badly enough to produce wobbly J. Next step if that doesn't resolve matters will be to look for a trike that doesn't resemble an invalid carriage ...
Thanks again.
Tom