Stratospheric prices

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Since I first looked in on this website nearly ten years ago, interest in electric bikes has soared. It worries me somewhat though that the market will quickly diminish if prices continue their upward spiral as more and more manufacturers and sellers seek to make hay while the sun shines.

Some of the prices being asked are simply ludicrous and that is reflected in the DIY market of self-build machines where it is possible to create something just as good if not better than the top-end EAPCs touted by some well-known names for not a lot of money. I think most readers are aware of the possibility of purchasing a perfectly good, reliable base bike from any of the popular outlets and adding an electric kit from a choice of suppliers; even a second-hand bike from any source so long as it is suitable.

In all honesty, I don't know how ebike sellers can justify prices of 5 grand or more for their offerings. D8veh has produced a number of perfectly good machines on a very small budget and I'm sure many readers with an aptitude for electro-mechanical things could do the same, perhaps with a little guidance from the forum members on this site.

If all these grossly expensive ebikes were very lightweight machines, I could perhaps understand the prices but they are not. It baffles me that these enormous prices have come about while we are supposed to be suffering austerity in the UK. I suspect this is a bubble and it will surely burst at some point. How soon?

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the trend is usually consumer-led, there must be more demand for e-bikes otherwise large distributors like Halfords and CRC would not bother.
As the market grows, customers become more sophisticated and demand for top end products grows.
Most of the expensive bikes you see is down to the small volume nature of the top end products. R&D costs will have to be passed on to smaller number of units. If you buy a ready made alloy frame for example, that's less than $50. If you want to have your design made, that'll be $100,000 order. If you sell all the frames then you'll do well but if you only sell 100 frames then it would be cheaper to get the frames made in CF instead. After you start with a CF frame, you have to add a Fox fork or no suspension. That logic pushes up the cost of associated components and you'd end up with a £4,000 bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go look at dram and nand memory prices :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just for fun I made a spreadsheet when I started out and built up a fictitious bike from bits from bikediscount.de and a common rear hub kit. The end price was about the same as an entry level bike here on the French market at that time. But... mine did have significantly better bike components. That is of course making abstraction of my time etc., etc., etc..

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It baffles me that these enormous prices have come about while we are supposed to be suffering austerity in the UK.
Often they reflect that the same models are very expensive in such as Germany and The Netherlands where they sometimes originate and where by far the most sales are. That then makes it impossible to price lower here in a common marketplace

• Informative
Reactions: oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Often they reflect that the same models are very expensive in such as Germany and The Netherlands where they sometimes originate and where by far the most sales are. That then makes it impossible to price lower here in a common marketplace
I thought you were a successful trading nation with wages at the same level as those in the two countries you mention? :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

So when you see a cargo tricycle sold for 5000€ in Denmark it is going to be harder to pay for it in France (or the UK) than there.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think "average" is the keyword. Many more Danes will be closer to the average wage than French people where income inequality is a thing.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I don't think ebikes are any more expensive than regular bikes. £5k gets you a fairly decent TT bike or full suspension mtb but far from top of the range. Go to any cycle/triathlon club and you'll find plenty of people who have spent lots more. There is a market out there for sure
This.
When you look at the market in the context of how much a decent non electric bike costs, then you add the cost of a quality motor, battery and electronics, then manufacturers aren't really 'making hay while the sun shines'. It's pretty much where the market is at.
Not that I'm saying some bike components aren't disproportionately expensive for sometimes minimal gains, but that is the way of the industry, and most of the manufacturers do provide lesser specified bikes at proportionately lower prices.

Reactions: Stumpi

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I don't know how ebike sellers can justify prices of 5 grand or more for their offerings. D8veh has produced a number of perfectly good machines on a very small budget.
Comparing a build by D8veh to an off the shelf build isn't something that I agree with.

Does Dave have to pay for research and development into both current and future projects, production costs, countless trips to factories to check on progress, type approval, insurance of differing type, import/customs duty, business premises, business rates, marketing/advertising, product placement within industry/retailers, warranty protection/cover, spare parts for stock, customers returning bikes for whatever perceived reason, and even income tax?

The answer is no he doesn't, and the two cannot be compared.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
One thing is for sure, we will not see any drop in ebike prices any time soon. The Anti dumping action by the EBMA will drive a lot prices up by arround 15% within the next few weeks. Esp. on the less expensive models, Our £1,150 SE models for instance should go up to around £1,350.00 on 1st July, although we will try and hold that back to £1,250.00.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, £5k is crazy money for an electric bike.
it's not crazy money but how many of those you think would sell in the UK a year? You spend a lot of effort on something as perishable as high end products then at the end of the season, rely on bargain chasers to clear the space. It's a mugs game.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
WAW vélomobiles used to be made in the Netherlands, average net wage 2152€. Now they are made in the Czech Republic, average net wage 938€. Laying up CF is a time intensive process so most of the cost in manufacturing is there. They still cost about 10k€.

My Czech trike is in many ways comparable to a German competitors trike, it cost 500€ less. Delivered...

I find Cube pedelecs very reasonable value for money, you can get a trekking model for about the same price I paid for my trike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
it's not crazy money but how many of those you think would sell in the UK a year? You spend a lot of effort on something as perishable as high end products then at the end of the season, rely on bargain chasers to clear the space. It's a mugs game.
The key is to make less bikes than you can sell, Moustach have made an art out of this strategy. Other brands over produce and change models every twelve months, they push retailers to taking large quantities, who then have to discount them to get rid. Often the new model is simply a paint job change!

• Useful