Stratospheric prices

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks! I have seen these on FWD bikes and assume they are to stop the wheel turning when the bike is on the stand?

* Crossed with Tony's explanation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a spring device that stops the front wheel flopping about at rest but still allows normal steering, as Woosh's illustration.

Popular on the continent on practical bikes.
very useful on bikes with a front rack fitted.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it's Marwood who has fitted one to his twin hub Big Bear,
I had never seen one before until I saw a pic of his bike and trailer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I've got all that and a lot more on my desktop, and with a much larger screen for half the price!

And it always works, unlike many of Microsoft's unreliable Surface laptops.
DSC_0043_01.JPG
;)

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
not sure if we are straying off topic but my take on this idea of "stratospheric prices" would be that sensible businesses know how to cost/price, know what their market want and stay in business by offering the right mix. A few "top of the line" products always adds cache to the mainstream products / sales and for some folks that's what they have to have

It seems like stuff has got slowly dearer over the years but that's how the world works, eg I had a custom 853 hard tail MTB built with full XT about 25 years ago, cost me about £2k - probably way more today - but £2000 amortised up at 3% a year gets to over £4k in 25 years.

In all fields it seems there are always folks are willing/able to spend immense amounts of money on nice products. Anyone been to a junior CX meeting? - kids on bikes costing many thousands but its not just bikes I have a friend who works for a jeweller, you wouldn't believe how many people buy £10k+ Rolexes

• Informative
Reactions: Denis99

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Nowt wrong with buying Rolexes as 'toys' or even as a hobby if you are into watches as I am. I bought a used, mint ceramic Submariner 6 years ago for 6k and its not worth much less now, if at all. I also have my fathers Submariner from 1971 which he doesnt remember what he paid for it but said 'it wasnt much' (bear in mind my Dad has never been what I would call 'flush') and I had it valued at 16k last year by a genuine Rolex dealer.

Either way they are a far better return than bicycles...or many other things for that matter. I an even considering buying another as a partial retirement 'fall back', given how much I have been shafted on my pension payments/contributions over the last few years, and it will only get worse.

Reactions: oldtom

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Just bought and expect delivery of this in a couple days, after absolute hell trying to experience it in person lasting about a year-

Just under 6 grand. I intend to start a thread to talk about that and share if it was worth it.. or if I had been better off buying 3+ cheaper bikes staggered across the years. We shall see.

Note that in my case I cannot drive. So this hefty outlay is tied to that fact and I hope to get a capable comfortable and reliable means of transport for my cash.

Hope that people will find the thread interesting

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Butchers and Bicycles tilting cargo trike is 4999€, if I had a parking spot I would have bought that instead of the recumbent trike (which I have no regrets buying).

Think about it for a moment:

- 2701€ cheaper than the cheapest new car on the (French) market. 2541€ cheaper than a Renault Twizy (which also has battery rental of at least 600€ a year)
- no vehicle insurance/parking fees/tax
- can carry a passenger or 100 kg of shopping or other
- running costs greatly reduced: chain, tyres, brake pads, a battery every 2-3 years
- quite easy to add significant weather protection
- can tow a small boat or camping trailer
- your stuff is locked up out of sight in the box

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Nowt wrong with buying Rolexes as 'toys' or even as a hobby if you are into watches as I am. I bought a used, mint ceramic Submariner 6 years ago for 6k and its not worth much less now, if at all. I also have my fathers Submariner from 1971 which he doesnt remember what he paid for it but said 'it wasnt much' (bear in mind my Dad has never been what I would call 'flush') and I had it valued at 16k last year by a genuine Rolex dealer.

Either way they are a far better return than bicycles...or many other things for that matter. I an even considering buying another as a partial retirement 'fall back', given how much I have been shafted on my pension payments/contributions over the last few years, and it will only get worse.
DSC_0304.JPG
http://www.discoverprohunter.com/en/collection/gmt/safari/

mine is only a copy but it cost 300 quid full swiss auto movement same as the real ones just mine was made in china.:D
d9cc2799-ec08-4dae-a614-beac9e284e8f_zpstyukpat0_01.JPG

Last edited:

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
wrt "luxury" items some do seem to be worth it (ie truly lovely things to own) and hold their value - alas top spec bikes depreciate (all bikes indeed) but I would still love to hang mine on the living room wall, if the wife would let me . . .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
wrt "luxury" items some do seem to be worth it (ie truly lovely things to own) and hold their value - alas top spec bikes depreciate (all bikes indeed) but I would still love to hang mine on the living room wall, if the wife would let me . . .
Maybe on a tasteful plinth, with flowers? :)

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
SW..aware of the replicas.... I had many, inc Rolexes before going gen. They are ideal to see if you get on with a certain watch before buying a gen version. They are indeed excellent, with Swiss movements as you say and are indistiguishable from the gen at anything more than 2 feet away. They are still replicas though and are therefore only ever worth replica money. That said I did make money on one once....bought a Brietling Seawolf yellow dial which was well known to be an amazing rep from the company that made them. The manufacturer only ever made one batch...I bought it new for around £350 delivered, sold it 2 years later for £600. Wish I hadnt and may try getting one again.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
View attachment 25106
http://www.discoverprohunter.com/en/collection/gmt/safari/

mine is only a copy but it cost 300 quid full swiss auto movement same as the real ones just mine was made in china.:D
View attachment 25107
I was wandering around a Turkish souk a few years ago and came across a watch stand with a big sign overhead, "Genuine Fake Watches" and beneath it said "As seen on BBC Watchdog Programme". I bought the Submariner version for the equivalent of a fiver! After paying I asked if it was waterproof to which he replied, "Yes mister, as long as it doesn't get wet!".

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
'Popular on the continent on practical bikes.'
That says it all, for me, about our attitude to cycling in this country....
When I first found the Dutch Bike Bits website, I was amazed at what was available for bikes. Things I never knew existed.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc