Strictly Motors

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I was talking online to a company about the purchase of my new Ebike, unfortunately the nice discount model I wanted didn't come in my size, anyway the sales guy mentioned that the Bose or Brose Motor (couldn't quite make it out) was just as good if not better than the Bosch.

He specifically mentioned that the Bose motor has NO resistance when used with a flat battery unlike the others, and therefore easier to pedal a "dead" Ebike home. Not that I plan to buy an Ebike and run it with a dead battery, but it has to be considered.

Question is, is there any resistance with different motors Bosch, Yamaha, Bose etc. Or was this just a sales pitch.

I had kind of settled on the Bosch Performance CX, but this just had me thinking.

I am sure all of you who have got such bikes will soon tell me.

Thanks Again

D

Deleted member 4366

There is a bit of resistance with the Bosch. I took the chain off one today to try it. I don't think it's enough to be a deciding factor when buying a bike for most people that would ride an MTB at an average speed of 10 to 12 mph, but if, like the guy in the other thread, your average speed is 17 mph so that you'd be riding above the cut-off, maybe a Brose would be better.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Biggest problem on my Yamaha with no power on is the extra weight and tyre drag. It is more than 10kg heavier than my mtb and has more aggressive tyres at a lower pressure because it is an ebike a bit of extra drag is worth havind for the extra grip on the downs.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My CX drive FS MTB with aggressive MTB tires is surprisely easy to pedal at 27-30km/hr unassisted. On flat no wind.

While Brose might be slightly less resistance, it still an eMTB you are not likely ride it without assistance. Come first hill unassisted it will still be overweight to high geared bike.

A touring bike with road tires would be different case.

Last edited:

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I was talking online to a company about the purchase of my new Ebike, unfortunately the nice discount model I wanted didn't come in my size, anyway the sales guy mentioned that the Bose or Brose Motor (couldn't quite make it out) was just as good if not better than the Bosch.

He specifically mentioned that the Bose motor has NO resistance when used with a flat battery unlike the others, and therefore easier to pedal a "dead" Ebike home. Not that I plan to buy an Ebike and run it with a dead battery, but it has to be considered.

Question is, is there any resistance with different motors Bosch, Yamaha, Bose etc. Or was this just a sales pitch.

I had kind of settled on the Bosch Performance CX, but this just had me thinking.

I am sure all of you who have got such bikes will soon tell me.

Thanks Again
http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-best-emtb-motor/

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
Reactions: Ballynoes

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I have a Bulls Brose, there is no discernible drag when pedalling over 15.5mph which is a benefit if you ride with non E bike riders. Superb imho especially with the new four power levels which can be individually personalised a little bit. The new Drive S motor sounds worth waiting for too. The only disadvantage of Bulls is the lack of dealers meaning a long journey to the nearest one for me though I have not had to make that journey yet! Brose and shimano motors seem to be more popular with experienced mtb riders.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Ballynoes, I am not that far from you if you would like to ride mine. In fact I have recently been riding at Dunkeld though no current plans in that direction, if you are in Edinburgh you are welcome to call, I am near the West End. PM me.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Thanks for the reply and the offer. I am on holiday for 2 weeks next week, and have made arrangements to go try a couple, almost decided what to buy, but I might be persuaded after the trials. There is also an eBike event in Perth this weekend so that will be interesting.

Reactions: Tom Rae

Related Articles

Advertisers