Suaoki 800A Peak Car Jump Starter 20000mAh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Just purchased one of these, didn't quite believe the blurb and considering price ( £60) wasn't actually expecting it to work as claimed...
But at harbour yesterday a bloke with a 6 litre V8 ski boat and a flat battery, the little Suoaki started it no problems. Then about 2 hours later a chap with a massive jetski and a flat battery borrowed it.( I hadnt recharged it) but it fired it up no problem. Was still showing 75% full.( and ski boat needed turning over quite a bit)
So, all in all very impressed...now the question.
In theory the device contains a 20 ah (@ 12v) lithium poly battery and quite a lot protection electronics.( you cant put leads on wrong and it can charge computers,phones etc at various voltages ( I think 5, 12 and 19 ??)

How on earth can they build it for this price when batteries cost more than this unit. ( Two of these in theory have more capacity than my Haibike 400wh but would cost under half??)
Is there some clever electronics at play for kicking out heavy current short duration or is there really a 20ah Lithium polymer in new device ??
It doesn't look big enough to turn over a big V8, the clips are nearly as big as unit..but it did...no problem.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
How on earth can they build it for this price when batteries cost more than this unit. ( Two of these in theory have more capacity than my Haibike 400wh but would cost under half??)
Haibike brand name markup ;)

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I've jump started my car (3.0 litre flat six Subaru) from a 4S 3000mAh LiPo RC pack. Obviously there was still some charge left in the lead acid battery, but not enough to turn the engine over on its own. You really can pull massive current - around 130C or more from modern LiPo packs for short periods. A bigger issue can be the wires and connections.

Not too sure about 20000mAh for that price though - but I guess if it's only intended to be used a few times the cells don't have to be that great. But you can certainly get 10000mAh 3S (11.1V) packs for about £50.

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
This is my power bank that can jump start cars up to 2000cc,
I've started a yaris, Astra and a focus on one charge,
All the the cost of £16 off ebayFB_IMG_1497291385544.jpg

Elecric Ed

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Southampton
I bought a power bank jump starter last year it started my car twice then the next time there was no juice at all. It had been charging for days. I managed to get a refund after complaining on the companies Facebook page. I have since bought another one but luckily haven't had to use it to jump start anything. It will power up my laptop and charge usb stuff and it has emergency blue and red light

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't look big enough for 12v and 20Ah. What they often do with these power-packs is add up the mAh for each cell. Say it has 4 cells of 3.6v and 5000mAh each in a 4S configuration. They add up 4 x 5000 to get 20000, when what they should do is add 1 x 5000 to get 5000mAh. It looks about the right size for a 4S 5Ah lipo pack.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I was totally amazed how this £60 tiny thing cranked over a 5.8 V8...must have been for 15 seconds or so by time it fired up...but I just cant see how for £60 it can possibly have 20ah battery and all its gubbins...If its the case its cheapest source for batteries I,ve found...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just purchased one of these, didn't quite believe the blurb and considering price ( £60) wasn't actually expecting it to work as claimed...
But at harbour yesterday a bloke with a 6 litre V8 ski boat and a flat battery, the little Suoaki started it no problems. Then about 2 hours later a chap with a massive jetski and a flat battery borrowed it.( I hadnt recharged it) but it fired it up no problem. Was still showing 75% full.( and ski boat needed turning over quite a bit)
So, all in all very impressed...now the question.
In theory the device contains a 20 ah (@ 12v) lithium poly battery and quite a lot protection electronics.( you cant put leads on wrong and it can charge computers,phones etc at various voltages ( I think 5, 12 and 19 ??)

Is there some clever electronics at play for kicking out heavy current short duration or is there really a 20ah Lithium polymer in new device ??
It doesn't look big enough to turn over a big V8, the clips are nearly as big as unit..but it did...no problem.
LiPo has very large current potential. I accidentally spot welded two crocodile clips together :oops: in my kitchen :eek: lots of sparks and one thermal sweat shirt with metal in fusion holes burnt through was the only damage lucky me.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89076 this is a real spot welder that uses 3C LiPo in the video you can see the wires jump just like they do on an industrial spot welder.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
How on earth can they build it for this price when batteries cost more than this unit. ( Two of these in theory have more capacity than my Haibike 400wh but would cost under half??).
There are a number of things to consider.
Firstly, lots gets lost in translation (and interpretation) with the blurb on these cheap chinese made devices. I've seen these advertised and the wording says something like
"can be used as 800A jump starter"... "... and as 20,000mah power pack". One then needs to be aware that the 'power pack' part is a 5v USB source, not 12v.

Also, there are batteries and batteries. God knows what's actually in these units (although I'm hoping they are fair, as I actually own one of these jumpstarter units myself). I'd put money on the Haibike battery still going strong though, when these cheap power packs are in landfill somewhere!

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Had a check through all specification... Unit is quoted as 74wh..which means the 20000 a/h is quoted at 3.7volts...not quite straight advertising but unit does its job...

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought so. That means that you need 5 of them to make an e-bike battery for £300. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to buy the lipo packs from Hobbyking for about £150.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I thought so. That means that you need 5 of them to make an e-bike battery for £300. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to buy the lipo packs from Hobbyking for about £150.
Yep...and 5 would still be less powerful than Haibike 400w/h...so perhaps its not Haibike mark up...I suppose ( in theory) if the 74w/h of power can be utilised in 20 seconds or so there is easy enough power st start even a big engine...but I,ll bet unit will get rather hot if asked to do so..( was only warm though after 8 secs or so turning big ford motor over)
...but you don't know how dead the dead battery was.....???
Might try unit on a totally dead battery...but it might fry it ???

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Just an update on unit..
Daughter left interior light on in mondeo diesel yesterday. Battery absolutely dead this afternoon..( not even lighting warning lights etc, showed zero volts on meter.)
Put Suaoki on ( had to use boost setting) turned engine over straight away, fired up after a few seconds turning over..
(Standard battery is a great big 80 ah) Unit not warm afterwards and still showed 92%. !!!! Really impressed.
Its charging my phone now !!!

Advertisers