Sub £1000 bike conversion

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
this whole "road legal" thing seems quite fuzzy to me when you dig a bit deeper. My ebay kit was sold as 350W but I gather the geared hub in it is pretty much exactly the same as others labelled 250W - so I took the label off to avoid any concern there. My controller is 11A so at max power it gives me about 400W - but AFAIK the "250W" Shimano Steps road legal e-bike I had on loan had a similar maximum power.

Others may correct me but I think there is nothing stopping me fitting a 17A controller, setting the LCD to a 25kmh speed limiter and having over 500W of peak power from a "250W" motor more or less "legally"

FWIW I would have no hesitation off roading with my 30NM geared hub kit (whatever its "true" power is) at PAS #5 it is seriously gutsy. Torque is what you really notice anyhow

Reactions: Aarongriffin999

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sorry, last question, because if the word affix. If I had a 1000w motor limited to 250w using an LCD and then put a 250w stamp on it it would be road legal? I'm asking because if that is the case then I'll aim for a higher wattage to blast the bike on private land without having to change anything except the LCD.
1. If you grab a 500 W geared hub motor like the Q128C and use a 20 A controller you have a 1000 W motor lighter and better than one of those huge direct drive motors.

2. If you print your own label and set cut off speed to 25 km/h it is "road legal". Notice the " "? That is how my 250 W Mxus kit was described when I bought it.

3. many of us ignore the "private land use" bit but we try to ride responsibly...

Reactions: Aarongriffin999