Suitable Bike Carriers

Matthew Edwards

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2017
Meltham
Hi Guys,

I had a disaster yesterday as my Turbo Tevo fell off my Thule Proride 598. Luckily the straps held it on by the wheels and both bike and car escaped damage. I just wondered what the people out there use. The big issue with the Levo is the oversized tube and clamps don't get around it. I don't have a towbar so towbar mounts are no good.

Cheers in advance

Matt

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Although I do have a tow bar and my carrier is clamped to that, most electric bikes have a similar problem, in that they have thick down tubes to hold the batteries.

I had to modify my carrier and fitted double holders with the opposite ends cut off, this makes a much wider clamp position for the thicker down tube.

You might have to do something similar and fabricate something yourself. I also purchased extra long Velcro straps, so they would fit round the tube.

There must be a carrier out there for e-bikes, but if you don’t want to splash out on a new one, it will probably have to be a DIY job.

This style might be a better option, if you did go down the new route.

car-bike-racks-lowres-6305.jpg

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
The Inno looks good. Make sure your bike is under the 23Kg. Not sure if you can remove the battery on a Levo.
If you are over weight, you need to go to towbar fix as Inno is about the highest spec I have seen advertised. Pretty sure Thule only go to 18Kgs.
If you decide on a towbar fit then please review ours.
https://auxtail.com/

DIG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 8, 2018
preston
Best bet is to fit a towbar, ebikes are a little too heavy for the roof or hanging off a flimsy boot mount. I have an estate so access to the back was important. I purchased the "Thule Velospace" which is a little expensive but is designed to carry ebikes or fatbikes. The rails accomodate the tyres perfectly and the tiedown straps fit well round 27.5+ tyres. The whole lot tilts backwards to give access to the estates boot and locks onto the towball.
4months ago halfords were £50 cheaper than anywhere on the internet, not sure if this deal is still available?thule velospace.jpg

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
No, the Thule grips round or rectangular section tubing. I have a Whyte PRST4, Whyte 46 and a Mondraker e-crafty XR and they all attach securely.

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
No, the Thule grips round or rectangular section tubing. I have a Whyte PRST4, Whyte 46 and a Mondraker e-crafty XR and they all attach securely.
"The big issue with the Levo is the oversized tube and clamps don't get around it." Original post

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
Clamp goes around top tube and looking at pictures of Levo I still don't see an issue. Worth checking out anyway!

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
Saris Bones 3? Max weight 50kilos. Tail gate mounted.

So far with a Motus and a converted Giant have travelled over 1,000 miles with no trouble and over some pretty rubbish roads. The batteries are carried inside, of course. Although a Saris Bones 2 would have been slightly cheaper, the 3 allowed a decent gap between the bikes - the 3 is intended for 2 adults and a kids bike in my opinion. The bikes are very firmly held.

The Motus is a step-through frame for which a dummy cross piece (Halfords) is required.

The bikes are carried without obscuring the number plate and rear lights which was a considerable advantage.

Used strips of neoprene under the claws which hook onto the tailgate to protect the bodywork.

Roof mounted bikes frighten me. A bike fell off a car in front on the M3 doing 80mph. They always seem precarious to me!

Related Articles

Advertisers