Sunstar iBike controller help

Mr Agreeable`

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hi all, I've come into possession of a couple of "spares or repairs" Sunstar iBike mid drive conversion kits, including most of the parts. None of them are functional, but the gearing and motor coils appear to be OK, which makes me think that something has gone pop in the controller. I'd like to get them up and running again if possible, and I was wondering what the best course of action would be. At present I'm mulling a few options:

a) Get a replacement 250W Bafang BBS01 controller and try it with that. However the cases look pretty different, plus the Sunstar is 24V not 36V.
b) Try and wire it up with an external controller and a throttle, or a torque sensor emulating controller like this: https://www.greenbikekit.com/250w-brushless-e-bike-controller-lcd-display.html I'm not too keen on running the motor with a throttle, the PAS bikes I've ridden have been much nicer to ride, but if it's the only option, I'll take it.
c) De-pot the circuit board and diagnose and replace the bit that's failed (the mosfets?). I'm not feeling confident enough with electronics to do this, basic soldering is about my limit!

Any advice would be welcome - it's my first ebike project and I'm basically whistling in the dark here. :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Reactions: Mr Agreeable`

Mr Agreeable`

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
Thanks Pete. I'd actually ordered the Greenbikekit controller just before you posted that!

I haven't been able to test the motor yet as my understanding is you need a functioning controller to do this.

I'll check out that other Hall sensor too.