Swiss flyer demo!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am going to the caravan salon in Düsseldorf next week for a few days, it is probably the biggest and best motorhome show in Europe.Whilst looking through a list of exhibitors, I came across the German side of Flyer and they are there with their range of e bikes and demo's are available...Cant wait!:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am going to the caravan salon in Düsseldorf next week for a few days, it is probably the biggest and best motorhome show in Europe.Whilst looking through a list of exhibitors, I came across the German side of Flyer and they are there with their range of e bikes and demo's are available...Cant wait!:D
That's good Eddie, a chance to try out the best of all Panasonic powered bikes. Keep the credit card sealed away though, the road going models are up to around £5000, the X bike a lot more.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Have fun hun, take your camera and please report back :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I tried a number of Flyer bikes over the 2 days I was at the show..It was just around the grounds so no hills but what a bike the X series Flyer is! The same model as in video in last post but not the 300 watt one.......

It just oozes quality, the brakes a revelation, they just stop you dead. it was the 250 watt model the 300 was not there. It is just a beautiful bike so smooth and quiet, I guess like all Panasonics. I kinda kept going for the throttle! but I think I could live with this system you can ride it easily without power and eco/standard and high where all very efficient. I liked the way the power was there instantly so leading away with the left foot, my weak right knee (due to operation) was fine as power seems more or less instant...... so I did not miss the throttle at all.

I have the catalogue and scared to look at the prices as I know it is over £4000:eek: but it is a truly superb bike, and easy to lift into motorhome as well......

I would now like to try one of the lightweight E Motions to see how that compares, as UK support and price a lot better, and as same Panasonic system I would think performance the same or similar?

In summery I did miss the throttle but I am sure I would get used to it, I asked re alfina hub gears and Swiss gent said they where simply not reliable enough...make of that what you want. If I pick one up in Switzerland, you pay local vat @ 8%:D I was fishing for export model and NO tax!

One thing though for the money the wisper hub bikes are not that bad at all in comparison, I was on my wifes one last night (mine still being repaired Grrr......) and was surprised how well it rode in comparison, was kinda expecting to be disappointed....... The flyer is simply a luxury product

Last edited:

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
yes Eddie,

I agree, it's a pretty beast anf fitted with just cool parts. I actually don't get why people are so crazy about the Alfine hub gears. If they are so good and reliable then why none of the XC racers aren't using them???:rolleyes: I think would rather prefer to stay with traditional gear system as on Flyer

£4k is a lot of cash but maybe its worth to save...

Alex

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I actually don't get why people are so crazy about the Alfine hub gears. If they are so good and reliable then why none of the XC racers aren't using them???
From my own experience, I have found the Alfine hub gear to be perfectly reliable. I like this type of gear system because it is simple to maintain. Any of the disadvantages, such as inefficiency are negated to some extent by the fact that it is fitted to an assisted bike.

I don't know what an XC Racer is, so I have no hope of explaining why they don't use Alfine hub gears.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Having owned the Emotion Sport Max now for a few months now I don't think I would ever pay the extra for the Swiss Flyer. Unless you need the full suspension I suppose but I only ever ride on the road.

So Eddieo get yourself to Onbike and have a test ride - I think you will love it.

Brakes are a revelation and really do stop you very quickly and don't have to worry about wearing them out. At the mileage I am now I would have already had to replace a set of rim brake pads so the maintenance is lower.

One point about the panasonics and gears. The way all the power is put through the drivechain is very rough on the gears. I would say that the gears have been the weakest link on both the panasonics I have owned. The Emotion's are always going out of adjustment and I occasionally get two changes up instead of one. Also occasionally I get the chain flying off the end of the smaller sprocket. I kept adjusting the end stop until eventually it wouldn't change into 8th and then backed it off as little as possible.

It is all about getting the power right when you change up or down. Too much pressure and you get a horrible sound so you do have to back off a lot on the ups and downs as well. Of course you are trying to judge the motors power as well as your own. It is very difficult if you are caught in the wrong (too high) gear and have to change down without putting too much pressure on the system but enough to keep moving. Advantage Alfine however judging by the noises I get when getting it wrong I don't think it would last long in traffic.

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
I don't know what an XC Racer is, so I have no hope of explaining why they don't use Alfine hub gears.
Chaps that race professionally in the XC races and long distance marathons use either Shimano XTR, XT, LX or Sram X.O, X9, X7. All of these are traditional gearing systems. They use them is a rain, mud etc and there must be a reason why nobody is using hub gears:confused: I wouod suspect the reliability and weight might be the reasons

Alex

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I wouod suspect the reliability and weight might be the reasons
Maybe.

Unless I've missed something, I don't recall hearing much about the un-reliability of the Alfine gear system on here. Perhaps when used under extreme conditions such as those you describe, it exposes weaknesses.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Chaps that race professionally in the XC races and long distance marathons use either Shimano XTR, XT, LX or Sram X.O, X9, X7. All of these are traditional gearing systems. They use them is a rain, mud etc and there must be a reason why nobody is using hub gears :confused: I wouod suspect the reliability and weight might be the reasons.
I think it has more to do with the fact that you can't configure hub gears, whereas racers / serious riders can build the optimal combination of gear sprockets, etc. when using a traditional derailleur.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
i am pretty sure the flyer i-sy urban uses the alfine hub at least this years did

jim

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
some more bikes.....

Last edited:

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
All flyer models have are offered with alfine except the tandem. I don't know about the uk price but I don't think the the Swiss price is much different than the equivalent kalkhoff, perhaps a shade more but the do offer a 5 year warrant on everything but the battery(2 years) and parts like the chain and cables. I'll try to write a first review of my S Series which is pretty much the same frame as the X bar the rear suspension after I've done 1000 kms.

I have a folder with an alfine hub and I'm verybpleased with it.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
All flyer models have are offered with alfine except the tandem. I don't know about the uk price but I don't think the the Swiss price is much different than the equivalent kalkhoff, perhaps a shade more but the do offer a 5 year warrant on everything but the battery(2 years) and part like chain and cables. I try to write a first review of my S Series which is pretty much the same frame as the X bar the rear suspension after I've done 1000 kms.

I have a folder with an alfine hub and I'm verybpleased with it.
Hi CheKmx

I am not really to worried re alfina weight is more important.

What is the weight of the S series please? does it have the trigger shift 9 speed XT gears and hydraulic brakes? as these were very nice on the X series I tried.....

well I am totally smitten with these bikes......I pass through Switzerland every year on way to Italy and normally have about a week there cycling... If I can get one of these at kalkhoff prices I may well pick one up (tax free would be nice;))

would yu do me a favour and tell me the price to you locally, S series and X series and where the dealer is? I travel from Basel down via Lucerne/Gotthard tunnel.......

thanks Eddie

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
the price of flyers in uk is just stupid the price of the flyer i-sy eco in germany is 2100 euro which is where i bought my bike from the price in uk is £2250 in suffolk to £2399 in london

jim

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
http://www.biketec.ch/m/mandanten/145/download/S_Serie_Preise_CHF.pdf

This has the prices in Swiss francs for the s series range but this is a high speed only model. I bought mine from Tom's bikes in Wetzikon which is a shop just round the corner from my house but mine took 9 weeks to arrive. The website has a dealer locator I believe. The Eco s series costs 4490chf but this is dual drive but does have hydraulic disc brakes.

There's also prices in EUR. Only 8% vat here so not a massive discount but still better than a kick in the teeth.