Switched to kalkhoff

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Well, tightened up various bolts around front end which has improved the odd rattling noises. However today when out locally the drive was interrupted again with the notification 'wait for drive ' appearing on the screen. I've left it as it is and 50 cycles Loughborough have requested I drop it off with them tomorrow morning so that they can assess the situation. Will update when I know more.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Visited 50 cycles Loughborough today as arranged, they have carried out the latest software update to solve the problem. At time of writing have only had time to do a short ride of about a mile and it seems ok. Will put some more miles on asap. Fingers crossed!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Two short rides out over last two days. This afternoon the drive was interrupted again leaving me with no power on a steep hill. Additionally I thought I had cured the squeaky rattly noises from the front suspension fork but it is still evident, stopping only when the fork lock is on. Am I disappointed? Well yes I am. I need an ebike that is reliable and dependable, and thought that may have been the case when buying the Kalkhoff for what is a sizeable amount of money. I shall make contact with 50 cycles again and hopefully their good aftersales service will prevail.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Might be time to ask for your money back or swap for bosch drive version.
It does rather look as if the Impulse motor will never be right.

Software updates and claimed redesigns seem to be having no impact on the unacceptable failure rate.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Dropped the kalkhoff off at 50 cycles Loughborough Monday where it was decided to replace the motor. Picked up two days later and and have since covered about 50 miles with no problems at all. Was assured that a 2 year motor guarantee has restarted with the replacement unit so will see how it goes from now on. With around 675 miles on the clock I,me planning less visits to 50 cycles in the future hoping that the teething problems are now sorted and I can concentrate on getting some longer rides under my belt. On paper there's not a lot that can beat the Kalkhoff Integrale for comfort, range and quietness of the motor, just hoping longer term reliability will eventually be proved. Think I can still recommend it to others overall, it is so much quieter than either Yamaha or Bosch motors and very nice to ride. Obviously the need for a replacement motor so early in the bikes life is a big set back when evaluating a review, and this might have made a lot of prospective buyers minds up not to go ahead, but looking at the bigger picture I personally feel that it could still be a good choice, and I say that on account of the good back up service I've experienced from 50 cycles Loughborough to date. There,s been no quibbling, the repairs have been carried out efficiently and at short notice so I have no complaints at all. However, I am retired and have the time to return the bike for warranty work and enjoy checking out any new showroom models at the same time. I can understand that for others with busier lives having to spend time and money travelling back to the shop might be a bit irritating. So my previous disappointment has diminished somewhat, but still like the Integrale and although would never say never make a switch back to a Yamaha or Bosch powered bike in the future, am more than happy to persevere for now. Suppose many might disagree?

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I read somewhere that the warranty on the motors has been extended because of all the problems. have a read right through the thread about Kalkhoff reliability. I think there's a statement from head-office in there. Don't take any crap from local dealers if they try and charge you for what's a design/manufacturing fault.

• Useful
Reactions: Osho

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Well this is my last report on the Kalkhoff as we have decided to depart company following further issues including a faulty front axle thread and another motor failure. The Impulse Evo RS I understand from talking to other owners is usually a reliable unit but unfortunately not for me, which is a shame cus the Integrale is basically a good ebike, and I accept that Ive been unlucky hoping that my troubles are an exception to the norm. So moving on my experience of 50 Cycles Loughborough is very good in that they have done everything possible to fulfil their after sales obligations by carrying out prompt repairs and eventually were wholly supportive of my wish to change to a different ebike. I have chosen the Haibike SduroTrekking 5.0 with the 500 w/hour battery pack, and completed the customary charge and full drain of the battery over the last two days. I shall review the Haibike within a separate thread in due course, but first impressions are that it's a great ebike and think ime going to get a lot of enjoyment from owning g it. I had no hesitation in staying with 50 Cycles having received great service from them throughout. They are a sizeable company but still provide a good personal service and have made efforts to make sure that Im happy with my purchase. So many thanks to both the sales and service departments and I can definitely recommend them to anyone thinking of buying an ebike.

Reactions: Retyred1
D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately, it seems that the only people that don't get problems with these bikes with the impulse motor are those that leave them in the shed. AFAIK, every single forum member that had a bike with that motor has had problems. It's a shame because, as you say, they're good when they're running.

The main problem is all those that bought second hand ones or those that bought new and don't have access to the dealer they bought it from. There's a guy local to me with an Agattu that has a noisy motor. His only choice is to buy an exchange motor from Germany. By the time he's paid the postage in each direction and paid somebody to fit it, he's looking at a £600 bill. I guess that he'll then try and sell it as a working bike, which will only cause misery for someone else.

• Agree
Reactions: Osho

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Well this is my last report on the Kalkhoff as we have decided to depart company following further issues including a faulty front axle thread and another motor failure. The Impulse Evo RS I understand from talking to other owners is usually a reliable unit but unfortunately not for me, which is a shame cus the Integrale is basically a good ebike, and I accept that Ive been unlucky hoping that my troubles are an exception to the norm. So moving on my experience of 50 Cycles Loughborough is very good in that they have done everything possible to fulfil their after sales obligations by carrying out prompt repairs and eventually were wholly supportive of my wish to change to a different ebike. I have chosen the Haibike SduroTrekking 5.0 with the 500 w/hour battery pack, and completed the customary charge and full drain of the battery over the last two days. I shall review the Haibike within a separate thread in due course, but first impressions are that it's a great ebike and think ime going to get a lot of enjoyment from owning g it. I had no hesitation in staying with 50 Cycles having received great service from them throughout. They are a sizeable company but still provide a good personal service and have made efforts to make sure that Im happy with my purchase. So many thanks to both the sales and service departments and I can definitely recommend them to anyone thinking of buying an ebike.
You've certainly had some bad luck with the Kalkhoff, pity, because they do look a nice bike.
I have a Haibike Sduro 4.0 Hardnine, which I believe is similar to the Trekking 5.0. Done approx 2000km with absolutly no problems. The Yamaha motor is a little noisier than some other types but it certainly has other advantages.

Hope it all goes well for you, you deserve it.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Thanks for your replies guys, suppose we live and learn from our experiences but it's a real shame for those that find themselves with a troublesome machine that's out of warranty. I've been lucky in that I haven't lost anything due to good dealership back up when it counted. Today have done 82 smiles on the new Haibike and am well pleased .

Reactions: E-Wheels