Taking bike on a train

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
It appears most of long-distance train journeys with full-size bikes require reservation made in advance. For instance, Cross Country suggests to make reservation via Facebook chat and to use chat transcript as a confirmation. It doesn't strike me as a very reliable reservation method especially when I really need to get on a specific train with my bike.

The question is: what is the best way to buy advance train tickets when travelling with a full-size bicycle?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with you that using Facebook chat does not seem a reliable method of reservation. What do people do (like myself) who do not use Facebook, is there an alternative method?

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with you that using Facebook chat does not seem a reliable method of reservation. What do people do (like myself) who do not use Facebook, is there an alternative method?
Like in old days, find the train you need booking for online, write the details down and come to the ticket office to get the tickets asking specifically to add a bike reservation :oops:

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
I took my bike on Virgin recently, they have a dedicated area for 4 bikes on the train, you are supposed to have to have a reservation which is free, the ticket office will give you the ticket for the bike.You have to hang the front wheel from a hook on the ceiling, be prepared for this! Others of their trains they load them for you (the Pendolinos I think). But it worked well for me.

Zac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2017
It's easy enough to book a space if available. If buying a ticket on line or at station then it can be done at the same time. If you have an open ticket then go into a station and book a space for the train you going to catch.

X country have 3 spaces only two reservable so you may still get on without a reservation.

GWR HSTs have six spaces in proper bike compartment unfortunately the new trains will only have 2 spaces, local trains can not be reserved and first come first served but some conductors will allow people to stand with their bikes.

The carriage with the bike spaces has a bike symbol outside. On HSTs it is at the opposite end to first class.

Go for it, it's a fantastic free service.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
It's easy enough to book a space if available. If buying a ticket on line or at station then it can be done at the same time. If you have an open ticket then go into a station and book a space for the train you going to catch.
Which company/website allows you to book online?

I must not have been careful enough!

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
My mate takes his bike on the train all the time, he buys tickets that you use
4 days from 8. He says the only way to guarantee getting your bike on the train is to use a folder.
He has booked his full size bike on the train and still been refused boarding if
the train is full during rush hour. The guards decision is final.

Zac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2017
Which company/website allows you to book online?

I must not have been careful enough!
I use the GWR site and that allows me to book a bike reservation if available at time of buying a ticket. There is no commission charge unlike some of them, a paper ticket collected from a station ticket machine is free and you are not forced to take an E ticket like some of them.

All the train companies allow you to book online and AFAIK allow you to book tickets on each others services but some do charge a booking fee and some only provide an e ticket free of charge. You can also use the other non train company sites but they do charge a fee and don't provide bike reservations.

If you are using the split ticketing sites then you won't have the option of a bike ticket. The best way then is to write down the different trains and times and go into a station and purchase the tickets plus bike reservations for the journey the staff don't seem to mind as it helps stop them being replaced by machines plus there is no booking charge that the split ticketing sites add and they will try to book you the same seat all the way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: falmouthtony

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One problem is different rules and regulations for different operators.

As mentioned, you are all but guaranteed to get on with a folder but there's often uncertainty with a rigid bike.

The hooks on some services are not really suitable for ebikes which are too heavy and unwieldy to be hung from the front wheel.

Not ideal with a loaded tourer, either, particularly as the guard will be bugging you to dump the bike in seconds.

Some services have a strict number limit, some do not, some guards are awkward, some couldn't care less how many bikes are on the train provided the doors will shut.

Having said all that, I've always managed to get on one way or another.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
One problem is different rules and regulations for different operators.
This is really a problem because I often need to change operators. All off-peak, as I can't get a full sized bike on a rush our train where I live.

So far, my experience was as follows:
1. Greater Anglia - quite large dedicated carriage, perfect
2. Virgin Trains - limited space in front of the train, no need to hang your bike by the front wheel
3. Cross Country - small bike boxes. They say you 3 spaces available and 2 can be reserved, but I can't really imagine fitting 3 full-size bikes in these boxes. Especially if the owners have different destinations.
4. London Northwestern - no dedicated spaces, but you can stand in a doorway...

Regarding folders:
1. Virgin Trains - it's tough to get on with 20" folder in a general carriage
2. Cross County - no problems fitting 20" folder in dedicated luggage space
3. London Northwestern - there is generally enough space in a doorway.