tempory fitted a dolphin 09 13.4 to my kudos vita uno to replace bottle 10.4

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
had my kudos vita uno for 4 years coming march 2018 bike has bottle battery 10.4ah
I can still just about get 20 mile range on the flat.

I have a dolphin 09 13.4 from ebc kit and have finally tried to see if a dolphin would fit in the small frame triangle of kudos.

the dolphin although it looks big only needs to slide up about 25mm to release .

it will require extra rivnut, I had to file out the slots a bit in mounting frame for the 5mm bolts to slide through.

the snag is how I connect the 09 to controller, the black base with 2 silver pins is bottle battery I might have to
somehow connect to that wiring.

will refit bottle battery but if need be I can fit 13.4 dolphin or my 17ah one on kudos

thought this might be usefull as quite a lot of kudos bikes use 10.4 bottleDSCF1594.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

I din't understand your problem with the wiring. Your controller is in a separate box, so you just run the two wires from the dolphin mount to the controller - two wires with bullet connectors!

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
It isn't super clear what issue is. I read your post to say the co controller and new rail have different connectors ?

If so just cut them off and solder XT60

I use XT60 across all my bikes . Waterproof, easy to solder, used by lipo and you could then use different batteries or holders with ease

I can use a dolphin or lipo pack on my bikes interchangeably

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks d8veh and spanos
what I intend to try is possibly, swap kudos rear hub 250w for rear 350w but leave as much of the original electrics /controller lcd internal wiring in place.
i have 3 dolphin mounting plates one with bullets, 2 with the connecters in the pic.

my Carrera subway is fitted with those connecters so i can swop between 13.4 17 ah dolphin

yesterday on the kudos removed controller from its holder, but could not tell exactly which were the pos neg battery ones as lots of wires in the cable tidy.
pick of xt connecters one side is hollow the other only partly so about 3mm deep?DSCF1592.JPG DSCF1597.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to change the motor - just turn up the current in the controller. Whatever motor you use, you'll get the same power with the same controller.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks d8veh the kudos controller has no brand name or part no 15 amp max, bafang moter lead 3 pin.
can you suggest a controller of say 17amps that might suite.

not sure if controllers are universal fittings as regards connections, although battery pos neg seem to differ.
would I get slightly more torque with 17amp or what would you suggest

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try soldering the shunt for a few more amps easier then a new controller.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks nealh forgot about shunt method
so today with a lot of faffing about removed the 8 end plate screws and 3 side screws from a kt 15 amp controller from a ebc kit.

to suddenly find the top plate of the controller was removable.
pic of controller , I can only see 2 items that might be a shunt ?

the staple shaped bit or possibly the grey diode with stripes to the right?

assuming its the (staple) bits 14mm wide how much solder to add

I assume the kudos controllerDSCF1598.JPG

will be similar?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The copper staple about 25% max of its length a watt meter would back at how much you have achieved in the way of amps drawn also see yours will nicely accept 48v 12 or 13s.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's already got some solder on it. Assuming it's a 15 amp controller, to get 17a, you need to reduce the shunt's resistance by 13%. that means that you have to change an additional 13% of its length to zero with thick solder. be careful not to overdo it. Try just adding a blob to one leg where there isn't already a blob. Leave the iron on the shunt a bit to heat it up before adding the solder.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all
nealh I have no idea what 12 or 13s refers too ?
the pictured controller was from a ebc rear wheel set up 36v 250w and had a lcd3 display (which I no longer have as it got broken when ebike fell over)
the controller is rated at 15 amps max.

I have taken this controller apart so I can see what the (shunt is and where to apply solder as has been pointed out)

the kudos controller is also 15 amps but uses a older led display 3 assist levels, if the kudos is similar to kt controller , it might just be a case of undoing the end plate, to access shunt.

if I have this correct the black capacitors are rated 63v so I could run a 48v battery with the 36v 250w ebc rear wheel kit , gaining more speed and torque
even though controller is 15amps (without modding)

D

Deleted member 4366

Increasing the voltage of a motor can make it run inefficiently if it's already a fast motor. You need to find out what its no-load unrestricted speed is before making any decisions on voltage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thanks all
nealh I have no idea what 12 or 13s refers too ?
13s is proper 48v (54.6v full charge) and relates to 13 cells in series, each cell being accumulative in voltage.
Controllers need to have 63v capacitors.

12s is lipo 48v (50.4v full charge) and relates to12 cells in series, each cell being accumulative in voltage.
Controllers need 63v capacitors or if only 50v ones then charge needs capping at about 41.4v.