Tennis elbow - need thumb shifter

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Anyone know of a thumb shifter that takes an existing cable rather than having one already fitted.
I don't want to try to push a .cable thru the outer sheath cos for sure it will snag.

I will pull my shimano twist shift apart and hopefully the cable can come out of it.

Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will come out of it tho you will have to pull it all out anyway at the shift end lol.

you need a new shift cable have a look on youtube :)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Anyone know of a thumb shifter that takes an existing cable rather than having one already fitted.
I don't want to try to push a .cable thru the outer sheath cos for sure it will snag.

I will pull my shimano twist shift apart and hopefully the cable can come out of it.

Thanks.
This may help or not, but what I do is I take the end of the new Bowden cable, wash it carefully with alcohol/methylated spirits.
Let it dry, and do not now touch it with your fingers, throw away gloves are good, fingers have sweat etc., that can loosen the glue!
I then mix a tiny quantity of good quality, quick set 2 part epoxy. Smear the last 1 cm of the cable, thinly. Especially the end.
Let it set, if its too thick, thin it down with wet & dry paper.
This will hold the wires together and you can make it a bit rounded, and it will pass through the outer far more easily. Especially if the outer is kept straight!
When its through the outer (and any other bits it must pass through), I then glue and pinch a ferrule to the end (pinch before the glue sets), or do not pinch at all! As quality glue sets like steel!
They basically never come off!
But you can cut them off with a dremel disc if needed....
I hope this helps.
regards
Andy

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Replacing inner should be easy. Outer is likely to involve bit wearing and cursing if through frame.
Get quality pair of cable cutters NOT side cutters. Inner musthave clean cut on it so it doesn't snag when push through.

I installed new inner first, then removed old outer. Use new inner to guide new outer as I thread it through frame. There maybe bits of additional tubing in frame the outer runs through. Make sure you identify these when removing old outer, end of new outer may get caught at ends of these tubes, best to have access to ends.

Besides cutters and cables will need inner cable end crimp (derailluer end) and out end caps for outer (can reuse old ones). Maybe extra pair of hands and Beers in fridge for end.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
All the replacement inner cables I have purchased have had fused ends, so you shouldn't have any trouble feeding them through the outer.