Tesco Folding Hopper 20" e-Bike

Wildswimmer Pete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2011
Runcorn
I bought my Hopper in April and found it very good value. It hauls my 95kg (15 stone) up a long 1:10 hill without any problem (on "Hi" of course, otherwise on "Mid" on the flat) and the power meter has just dipped once or twice over about 4-5 miles. The gearing is low compared with my Whirlwind e-bike although that is off the road with dead batteries. The "step-thru" design doesn't attract any jeers, although I'm a big guy.

The only thing I find a problem is over-steering, but of course that be down to the small wheels. It could also down to my having to re-learn how to ride a pedal bike after a stroke last November, although I got the knack back in a couple of days. Unfortunately I've now been stopped from riding my motorcycle so I'm looking to enjoy motorised riding without having any problems with driving licences (or now lack of) or the DVLA.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I insured my Hopper with the ETA for £28. That's theft, recovery, accidental injury and public liability, although I have that with my home insurance.

Last edited:

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
The medical stuff is what encouraged me into the market. I have my licence but was worried for a while that it might not always be an option. Its funny how it concentrates the mind on alternatives.

I took part in a skyride today where they were security marking the bikes for free. I dont know if this occurs at every get together. It may be worth checking whats available in your area.
Home Page - Sky Ride

Click on ride finder. I was the only one on an electric bike. Somebody called me a cheat. :p
I soaked it up. I wasnt hot and sweaty and I did cycle unassisted for some of the ride. A good introduction to cycling if you have never cycled or a way to exercise in company so there is assistance if it should be required

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
A lot of bikes sold and pretty good reviews!

Jerry

freddy

Sep 4, 2011
I have one. Bought a month ago as my entry into the world of ebikes. Does the job I want it to at a very good price.
I have found that I am using it far more than I ever thought I would.
First month....300 miles that would be £60 in fuel. Won't take long at this rate to pay for itself.

skidders

Jun 7, 2013
A, A
ok i got my bike but tesco sent me a black viking e-go 24 as far as i can tell its the exact same bike but obviously i think it looks better than tesco value range colours lol anyway ill give a short review on it so far
ok getting the bike set up was a cynch 90 percent already there spent more time getting bubble wrap off than setting the bike up the front brakes were over tight and still squeal when i reverse the wheel i little bit annoying
ok first ride i found the low power assist is actualy a speed assist ie it powers you up to a certain speed ie about 5 mph or so mid level about 10 mph and high about 15 so if your looking to move a bit faster you may end up using the high power settings i rode to work a mix of inclines but mostly downhill on the way about 6.5 miles still plenty of juice left on it on mid setting mostly all good on the way back it was mostly up hill i stuck it on high power and it got me all the way home by which time the battery was on the red indicator on the battery
all in all i did the journey really easily i actually love the bike the cars only been out to get kids from school and im nipping to the super market as well now instead of jumping in the car
long term we will see how the battery works but for now im quiet happy with this

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Because this bike is from the Tesco product range, do they specify the motor output in horse power?

skidders

Jun 7, 2013
A, A
Because this bike is from the Tesco product range, do they specify the motor output in horse power?
this bike isnt in the tesco product range so its more venison than horse ;) i think its the exact same thought and asda sell them online for the same price too now !

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
ok i got my bike but tesco sent me a black viking e-go 24 as far as i can tell its the exact same bike but obviously i think it looks better than tesco value range colours lol anyway ill give a short review on it so far
ok getting the bike set up was a cynch 90 percent already there spent more time getting bubble wrap off than setting the bike up the front brakes were over tight and still squeal when i reverse the wheel i little bit annoying
ok first ride i found the low power assist is actualy a speed assist ie it powers you up to a certain speed ie about 5 mph or so mid level about 10 mph and high about 15 so if your looking to move a bit faster you may end up using the high power settings i rode to work a mix of inclines but mostly downhill on the way about 6.5 miles still plenty of juice left on it on mid setting mostly all good on the way back it was mostly up hill i stuck it on high power and it got me all the way home by which time the battery was on the red indicator on the battery
all in all i did the journey really easily i actually love the bike the cars only been out to get kids from school and im nipping to the super market as well now instead of jumping in the car
long term we will see how the battery works but for now im quiet happy with this
Did you ever come to a full stop?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
this bike isnt in the tesco product range so its more venison than horse ;) i think its the exact same thought and asda sell them online for the same price too now !
It's good to hear that you like the bike and thanks for the review. I hope it continues to please.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Apropos of nuffin - again....

I see there's a guy on ebay, asking £495 for the viking version (2nd hand, but unused) :eek: