Tesco Hopper replacement pedal sensor

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
I have owned 2 of these for the past 2 years, both have served me well and I have no complaints.

Went out on one of them today and when switching to power, it kept going on and off. I limped home and looked at what the problem might be. Straight away I could see the sensor attched to the pedal crank had split and one of the magnets could be seen. I need to replace the sensor but have no idea where I might get one as I think these were badged up just for Tesco. I would appreciate any help,,, thanks

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Not sure what you mean. There's two parts to the pedal sensor: A plastic disc with magnets in, and the electronic sensor with a wire coming out of it next to the disc. The magnets are often visible. The only requirement is that the magnets must all be there, though it would probably still work if one or two were missing.

To operate correctly, the disc needs to be about 1 mm from the sensor. It's often possible for the disc to slide along the shaft outwards to make the gap too big, or, when the chain comes off, it bends the sensor away from the disc.

Have a look and see if it's OK according to what I have written.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Not sure what you mean. There's two parts to the pedal sensor: A plastic disc with magnets in, and the electronic sensor with a wire coming out of it next to the disc. The magnets are often visible. The only requirement is that the magnets must all be there, though it would probably still work if one or two were missing.

To operate correctly, the disc needs to be about 1 mm from the sensor. It's often possible for the disc to slide along the shaft outwards to make the gap too big, or, when the chain comes off, it bends the sensor away from the disc.

Have a look and see if it's OK according to what I have written.
Thnk you for the post,,, It is the black plastic disc containing the magnets that has split. The position of the disc is fine.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thnk you for the post,,, It is the black plastic disc containing the magnets that has split. The position of the disc is fine.
It should still work when split as long as it goes round with the pedals and is the right distance from the sensor. Maybe you could explain better what the problem is with it.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
It should still work when split as long as it goes round with the pedals and is the right distance from the sensor. Maybe you could explain better what the problem is with it.
Looking at the disc I reckon the problem is due to the magnet exactly where the split is moves out of line as as it turns....I honestly believe that if I replace the disc it will be fine