Tested my helmet today.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The helmet, to wear or not to wear, is often visited and I am on the side of "to wear".. well today whilst stationary in some road works I lost my footing and fell over hard. I think I may have hit the kerb but surprisingly big knock to my head which left me momentarily stunned but apart from a headache I seemed ok so set off for the 10 mile ride home.
An hour later i am surveying the damage over a coffee, a bit sore and bloodied, and thought I should check my helmet.. at the point of impact the padding thickness has been reduced by at least 30% and the outer shell has visibly rippled so it has done it's job.
I am not sure whether the argument is over wearing or enforced wearing, but I won't go out without one.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev, lyme and Wicky

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I won’t cycle anywhere without out one
You never know when or where a slipp up may happen
My friend has just got back to work after 4 months after a skateboard accident to cool to wear a helmet but not so cool after a fractured skull and brain bleed nearly left him dead , he is very lucky as apart from being a bit short tempered now and completely losing his sense of smell he is back pretty good
:)

• Agree
Reactions: Eagle

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My wife had bad crash doing 5-10kmh on flat cycle way. We think end up falling sideways with her temple (protected by helmet) and cheek being impact points. Still had massive black eye but not head injury.
If the helmet hadn't been a good fit her head would 've taken hit.

I've had 2 bad MTB crashes wear forehead of helmets were broken, excellent fit saved me in both cases.

Always wear helmet no matter how easy ride is, make sure it is adjusted correctly and is good fit.

• Agree
Reactions: Eagle and kangooroo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never worn a helmet in my many decades of cycling, no option at all for the earlier decades when half of Britain cycled since cycle helmets hadn't been invented. Same with my motorcyling, there were no consumer helmets when I started that and I had over 20 years of riding without one. My impression is that we probably took a lot more care back then, knowing how vulnerable we were. Certainly UK cycling was a lot slower in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, mostly around 12 mph.

For those who need them I've no doubt helmets are great, but like the Dutch I've never needed one.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you have one of these helmets you might want to chuck it and get another:

https://helmets.org/recalls.htm

Yours is good for the bin Gubbins seeing the state it is in.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I've never worn a helmet in my many decades of cycling, no option at all for the earlier decades when half of Britain cycled since cycle helmets hadn't been invented. Same with my motorcyling, there were no consumer helmets when I started that and I had over 20 years of riding without one. My impression is that we probably took a lot more care back then, knowing how vulnerable we were. Certainly UK cycling was a lot slower in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, mostly around 12 mph.

For those who need them I've no doubt helmets are great, but like the Dutch I've never needed one.
My mate said exactly the same :(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

I have only ever needed one twice. Thats only 2 more than you.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My mate said exactly the same :(
He had the option, I didn't for around 30 years since they didn't exist. So once used to that I just continued without which has proved to be a sound decision.

Similar with motorcycling , not having the option for many years. Then from 1973 I had to use one by law, but since I never put a single mark on them, they too proved to be unnecessary.

It is and always has been a matter for personal decision.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have only ever needed one twice. Thats only 2 more than you.
The only time I ever needed one was at 12 years old when another kid threw a house brick high up into the air behind me. I was walking in another direction so didn't see it before it landed on my head.

Cue spectacular bleeding, face and frontal clothing smothered.

Still here though! :)

But as it's been so often said, why don't cyclists who wear them do so when walking? Falls causing death still happen then, after all you were stationary when you had that accident, proving the point.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The only time I ever needed one was at 12 years old when another kid threw a house brick high up into the air behind me. I was walking in another direction so didn't see it before it landed on my head.

Cue spectacular bleeding, face and frontal clothing smothered.

Still here though! :)

But as it's been so often said, why don't cyclists who wear them do so when walking? Falls causing death still happen then, after all you were stationary when you had that accident, proving the point.
Ha! That explains everything! Brain damage![emoji1787][emoji1787]

• :D

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
The helmet, to wear or not to wear, is often visited and I am on the side of "to wear".. well today whilst stationary in some road works I lost my footing and fell over hard. I think I may have hit the kerb but surprisingly big knock to my head which left me momentarily stunned but apart from a headache I seemed ok so set off for the 10 mile ride home.
An hour later i am surveying the damage over a coffee, a bit sore and bloodied, and thought I should check my helmet.. at the point of impact the padding thickness has been reduced by at least 30% and the outer shell has visibly rippled so it has done it's job.
I am not sure whether the argument is over wearing or enforced wearing, but I won't go out without one.
Never mind your helmet - what about your bike? Did you drop it or risk all to save it? :)

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Cuts and bruises heal don't they.. I was on the road bike which is mostly responsible with the narrower drop bars and having one foot clipped in and it's unmarked...
If you had been "cheating" it probably wouldn't have happened.

Jim

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you had been "cheating" it probably wouldn't have happened.

Jim
Wasn't moving, at least not forwards, the road was a right mess with a contraflow for road works and my side road being blocked with a wire fence so in turning the bike around I think i got my free foot on a bit of the fence tubing and next thing I was on the ground.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
He had the option, I didn't for around 30 years since they didn't exist. So once used to that I just continued without which has proved to be a sound decision.

Similar with motorcycling , not having the option for many years. Then from 1973 I had to use one by law, but since I never put a single mark on them, they too proved to be unnecessary.

It is and always has been a matter for personal decision.
Ah
Your the it’s never going to happen to me type

Me I’m the other way why risk it when it’s no effort to prevent it

As you say it’s all personal choice thou :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ah
Your the it’s never going to happen to me type

Me I’m the other way why risk it when it’s no effort to prevent it

As you say it’s all personal choice thou :)
For now!!
I reckon it won't be long before it's made compulsory, at least for electric bikes, which won't bother me of course and I don't think it should be compulsery either but it will.
I wonder if I have brain damage....

• Disagree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dooff ;)

DSC_0702_02.JPG