Testing my HL battery

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
Hi there :)

I bought a kit from you some years back with a 17AH 36V HL type battery. This has provided great service and I have covered 3500 miles according to the odometer.
I also bought a Brompton kit from you (minus the frog style battery) about 2 or 3 years ago and just fitted a new cradle to take the same HL battery.
So I swap the battery between bikes. This has now covered about 2500 miles.
All in all I'm very pleased.

A fault has developed though. The battery case has been damaged a bit over the years falling off the cradle when I forgot to lock it in place. My fault totally.

Now, when I connect the battery to the first bike (MTB) the King Meter display does not switch on at all. When connecting the King Meter from the Brompton kit however, it does switch on. This is a later meter I think (KM525 iirc).
So I swapped this meter over to the MTB and it worked for about 15 mins then the unit switched off. I could hear what sounded like a clicking coming from the battery or the controller. If I jiggle battery in the cradle I can now get the meter to switch on but it instantly switches off.

Is this shorting out? I tested the two outer terminals of the battery for voltage and it reads 41V. Should there be voltage on the two inner terminals? There is no short between any of the terminals as I tested continuity on all combinations with the multi meter.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: On closer inspection it seems some of the little plastic "walls" between terminals have broken away. So it may be shorting out in the cradle when the prongs go in. I will attempt to bodge a repair here. Still not certain if this is the issue. Can a new battery case be bought separately? I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron.

I would like to know what the inner terminals are for, if anything. Should they be providing a lower voltage for the display perhaps? Or does everything run from the outer terminals?

Last edited:

Advertisers