Thank Bafang for their BBSxx display error codes :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
After my little maintenance job on a noisy rear brake (highlighted in another thread), I went on a little jolly to test them out. Half a mile down the road, the motor cut out. The display battery symbol was flashing and it was showing error code 08.

Did the usual quick diagnosis, by disconnecting the brake sensors, rebooting the system etc.., but it wasn't playing ball. On getting back home, I Googled the error code, which came up as hall sensors.

I recently opened up the motor side and controller side to gain access for a little sneaky peek, so my first thought was disturbed controller connectors. Luckily, after accessing the controller side, I found the hall sensor connector had backed it's way out of its slot. A firm push back in and the beast was up and running again.

Although the Bafang display codes don't always give you a definitive answer to a problem, I reckon it puts you in the ballpark. When the brake symbol started flashing, soon after I first installed the kit, it turned out to be one of the hydraulic brake sensor magnets had shifted away from the sensor.

What's not to like about the BBSxx range of kits :)

Reactions: danielrlee