That's Cheating!

Matty Lad

Just Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Solihull
I am forever being told that owning/cycling an electric bike is cheating!

Really?

I am like an awful lot of adults who have to travel to and from work and my choice of transport is my electric bike which I use everyday come rain or shine.

Somedays I may peddle a bit, others I might just let the motor get me there and use the pedals as "foot rests".

Surely if I am cheating, then everybody who is getting to and from work by any means of transport whereby they are not using their legs/energy i.e bus, car, train etc. is also cheating?

My bike is a vehicle that gets me to where I need to get to (quicker than most other forms of transport in rush hour) and is a lot more enjoyable as my route takes me through two parks.

How many times have you been told you are cheating?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
How many times have you been told you are cheating?
Only once. Years ago we held a retirement party for my father in law and were putting family members up for the night. About 0200 I went drunkenly to the spare room and crashed out. I awoke later feeling nauseous and went to the loo. I heard the party still in full swing downstairs as I ejected the poison from my system. Then I went back to bed. My bed..

A short while later, my wife was awakening me and asking me what I was doing in bed cuddled up to her auntie. :eek:

So, to my everlasting shame, just the once for me. :D

As for ebikes and cheating.. I've not been called a cheat in the real world, yet. But I've had some belting abuse on another bike forum for using them. People ranting and telling me that they should only be used by older folks and the disabled. I put it down to the 'No pain, no gain' outlook of some bikers feeling that they need to suffer physically whilst cycling. Hence, if you're not suffering as they are with their OCD outlook, then you must be a cheat!

The good news is that ebikes (e-MTB) are becoming very popular with the masses now. Mostly due to good marketing and TV adverts. In the year that I've argued their case, I've seen attitudes improve towards them greatly. Folks are realising that they cover the best of all worlds. Enjoyment, relaxation and physical exercise. What's not to like. :)

The trouble is that a lot of regular bike-riders consider everything as being a race, and they don't like to lose.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For a different point of view.. ebike club members on strava have started making ebike specific strava segments. I have made a few and become king of the mountain by virtue of being the only one there.
After a short while this became both pointless and boring so I stopped doing it.. until I received messaged from strava to say someone had beaten my time . Interest piqued I rode it again posting an even faster time, but the userper went even faster still..
Just as boring some will say but consider this..
How would I, or any other ebike club member feel if some one on a dongled illegal ebike posted impossible times on our segments..
Would this be cheating?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
How would I, or any other ebike club member feel if some one on a dongled illegal ebike posted impossible times on our segments..
Would this be cheating?
Haha! :D

Just like I mentioned above. It all comes down to competing.

"Faster, Higher, Stronger". The need for speed. :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I could be wrong but in this case I think my competitor is much younger than me so under normal circumstances any competition between us would be too one sided to be worth starting but the e-bike has levelled this playing field to the point where I have a chance... I suspect I have the better bike which is giving me the edge, but ultimately I have to loose to a younger and stronger man, but it is such good fun trying.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To understand you have to stand in the accuser's shoes.

From their point of view they see someone pedalling, then perceive a motor driving.

They know nothing about relative motor powers or pedal control to apply power, what they see or believe is apparently someone being driven along by a motor while pretending to pedal.

That to them is the cheating, someone pretending to cycle while being wafted along by a motor. That view isn't unreasonable, it is what it looks like to the layman who knows nothing about e-bikes.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I've not had it long so nothing face to face. However one friend commented on Facebook. "That's cheating isn't it." With a smiley.

I just replied "probably, if it was a competition . I like to think it's enhancing"

While I was researching some bike stuff I landed on a couple of cycling forums . Started reading lots of posts about "collecting scalps" on commutes etc. Even there own posts seem confused as to wether or not the other party had any idea what was going on. And there's a lot of insecurity about their ability fitness and speed. So those with that mindset are going to hate ebikes.
For my part I think instead of worrying about what other cyclists are up to. They should be worrying about all the cars that can kill them.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
It can't be cheating unless it's a competition.

My uk carp personal best is 30lb 4 ounces. The main reason it's not higher is that I just don't fish the big circuit waters that hold 40s and 50s. Go to France and 50s are common. So there's plenty of novice anglers that can say they have had a 40 . And just as many top experienced anglers that haven't. There's no competition and nothing to prove to anyone else.

For a different point of view.. ebike club members on strava have started making ebike specific strava segments. I have made a few and become king of the mountain by virtue of being the only one there.
After a short while this became both pointless and boring so I stopped doing it.. until I received messaged from strava to say someone had beaten my time . Interest piqued I rode it again posting an even faster time, but the userper went even faster still..
Would this be cheating?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It can't be cheating unless it's a competition.

My uk carp personal best is 30lb 4 ounces. The main reason it's not higher is that I just don't fish the big circuit waters that hold 40s and 50s. Go to France and 50s are common. So there's plenty of novice anglers that can say they have had a 40 . And just as many top experienced anglers that haven't. There's no competition and nothing to prove to anyone else.
Ah. But we're you using an electric bike to fish with?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But in transport terms the really bad cheater is the person whose car has automatic transmission!

That really is unforgiveable, the height of laziness. Though electric window winders come close.

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But in transport terms the really bad cheater is the person whose car has automatic transmission!

That really is unforgiveable, the height of laziness. Though electric window winders come close.
... Where in this hierarchy does automatic hand brake come?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
... Where in this hierarchy does automatic hand brake come?
I guess somewhere between radar sensing braking and electric boot lids.

When they finally appear on our streets, self drive cars like the Googlemobile will be the top of the cheating league until crewless airliners arrive.

• Agree