That's Cheating!

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Heard the 'cheating' word several times from work colleagues, who like to tease me :-D

Outside of that, heard it a couple of times from pedestrians over the past couple of years.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here is a first for me..
Traffic all stopped at a level crossing with a small group of bikes at the front so I nipped up the outside and joined them.
One of them saw me and said loudly to the group..
"Look at that, just what we need.. a hybrid" must be the most positively descriptive comment I have received...

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Oh. I would have loved to have said "the term is mixed race you bigot"

Here is a first for me..
Traffic all stopped at a level crossing with a small group of bikes at the front so I nipped up the outside and joined them.
One of them saw me and said loudly to the group..
"Look at that, just what we need.. a hybrid" must be the most positively descriptive comment I have received...

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm finding e-bikes being accepted more in UK, definitely more established on continent. Personally, everyone i know who's tried them, loved them. Problem is a decent e-mtb is not cheap. I ride a lot of byways and if i see a motorbike i don't say there cheating, cheating who?.
A couple of people have said you shouldn't have an e-bike if you ride it with no assist sometimes, which is just as bad as calling someone a cheat. I see e-bikes as the future. I hope to see them become lighter, more powerful and
greater range that they become like a standard bike that you can get assist if you want to.

E-bike haters are modern day luddites :)

Finally, what makes me laugh is my old experience on Strava and how competitive people are. I used to tell a friend record your own data for you and don't take KOM's seriously. There are too many things effecting a KOM so i never bothered i.e. age - 20 vs 70, bike - dogma f8 vs an old 26er, weather - sun vs storm, fitness - how often i can get out, recording devise used can make a difference. Could always argue someone is cheating.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can hack the gps with apps so i could just sit here and take every kom if i wanted to.

the problem is you dont win anything anyway so what is the point ?

like if i pay 50 quid to enter a comp i want a prize if i win and i mean money not a shitty plastic cup and a time on a piece of paper.

Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
you can hack the gps with apps so i could just sit here and take every kom if i wanted to.

the problem is you dont win anything anyway so what is the point ?

like if i pay 50 quid to enter a comp i want a prize if i win and i mean money not a shitty plastic cup and a time on a piece of paper.
You could win a lot of good natured congratulations from the licra lads...[emoji102]

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
In london the roads are basicly a race its what I find makes cycling in the city fun. Thing is to keep up with roadies I still have to work my ass off to be able to keep up with them so wouldn't really consider it cheating.

People who havn't ridden ebike just seam to think that an ebike makes you as good as a pro with no effort.

• Agree
Reactions: nemesis

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats all they say on bike radar as they think they are rocket ships and soon put them right with my strava ride showing im 34th against a road bike with a dongle im still no where near it yet.

give it a few more months and i bet there will be a ebike section on that site i just think of it when snow boards came out o no no you cant use that on here you will destroy the track with that plank off wood.:rolleyes:

• :D

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
thats all they say on bike radar as they think they are rocket ships and soon put them right with my strava ride showing im 34th against a road bike with a dongle im still no where near it yet.

give it a few more months and i bet there will be a ebike section on that site i just think of it when snow boards came out o no no you cant use that on here you will destroy the track with that plank off wood.:rolleyes:
Hey so I seen these around a few times with you posting going to events with your Ebike. How much are they banned, obviosly they will be banned at competive race events. But are there many events that you can take your ebike or is it like one or two dont ban them?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a visible dongle so would be banned but others on here have done some events with there bikes.

its just they class you as slower than a old granny so go last.

also the fee to enter is high for no reward 40-50 quid and a deposit for the timing thing off 100 quid.

• Informative

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Sarcastic - "But commuting 50 miles each way on your own in a SUV is not cheating?"

Honest - "Severe emphysema"

What you want to say - "**** off"

• Agree