The Great Shaft Drive Search

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So, now I've basically built the bike I've always hankered for I'd like to build the second bike I've also hankered for

Which is a shaft driven , hub gear bike that I will convert with a front hub. Why, I want tomake the ultimate in bullet proof, low maintenance , fail safe , deep winter commuter

And IMHO it has to start with a shaft plus hub set up

But I cannot blooming well find one. I want a cheap 2nd hand doner bike not new. A few years back eBay seemed covered with them with 50 to 100. Not anymore

If the forum would care to assist or see anything then do let me know

Let's say 150 budget. Tbh I care only about the frame and the hub gear set up working. The rest I can almost certainly replace from quality shed spares. Although , actually, disc brakes are are a requirement too. 26, 700 or 29er all work for me

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Have you see this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sussex-Drive-Shaft-for-chain-less-bicycles-for-bikes-with-internal-hub-gears/223157139533

Rather than be limied with a limited choice of OEM shaft driven bikes you could convert any viable frame type...
It’s a nice idea wicky

Sadly frames have to be built around the drive so these are only any good as replacement drives for broken OEm bikes. Bit like you cannnot retro fit a Bosch drive

At least that’s my understanding !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can change the motor mounts as seen a bosch bike fitted with a steps motor.

tho you have to have a custom bracket made.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
you can change the motor mounts as seen a bosch bike fitted with a steps motor.

tho you have to have a custom bracket made.
Think you might have missed the point SW

I dont think you can buy the linked shaft drive and retro fit to a hub bike with a chain....the frame will be wrong. I used the Bosch drive as an example of something that cannot be retrofitted to a “standard” frame

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bmx to jet scooter ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I dont think you can buy the linked shaft drive and retro fit to a hub bike with a chain....the frame will be wrong.
Indeed, usually the shaft casing takes the place of the right hand chainstay of the frame. It might be possible to cut the front of the right hand chainstay from a standard frame that suits shaft centres of 20" or about 17", rewelding it higher and modifying the BB area like the one below. Big job though:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not really questioning the quality of the Ebay shaft drives, but I'd certainly want to see and hear one in use before committing to buying and fitting one.

I love the idea though, not least because it would be so different.

I still have a Thorn Nomad that I took as payment for some work that I carried out, sitting around waiting for me to do something with it. :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm not really questioning the quality of the Ebay shaft drives, but I'd certainly want to see and hear one in use before committing to buying and fitting one.

I love the idea though, not least because it would be so different.

I still have a Thorn Nomad that I took as payment for some work that I carried out, sitting around waiting for me to do something with it. :)
They are “Sussex” drives made in Taiwan. Really only replacements for oem bikes

I suspect the reason they are available is Dynamic bikes appear to ha e given up on retail bikes. They appear to be concentrating their efforts on USA campus , pool bikes type thing

So they got plenty spares but no bikes to sell !

I’ve ridden a Sussex Drive bike before . I thought the drive was great but rest of components were terrible. It was like 90% of cost went into hub and shaft

prixat

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2018
The Beixo from Holland seems to have combined a drive shaft with a Bafang mid-drive.
From the pictures it looks like the chain stay and BB are in a conventional position with the driveshaft beside the chain stay.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Beixo from Holland seems to have combined a drive shaft with a Bafang mid-drive.
From the pictures it looks like the chain stay and BB are in a conventional position with the driveshaft beside the chain stay.
The photo of the blue one is clearer and seems to show only one chainstay, the shaft being the right hand one. That's common practice on shaft drive bikes as their folding models show:

Beixo e-slim

Beixo Electra

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh gosh, I'm inherently very wary of no chainstay. I didn't know that was common. It goes against my principle of Trying to build the most bullet proof, e commuter possible

I think it narrows my search down to an old Dynamic bike on a 2nd hand page tbh

I may have found one but the head tube looks very odd. If I can't replace the headset, forks, stem then it's a no no

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Going to see a bike this weekend that looks ideal

It’s a shaft driven , alfine 8 setup

So only front conversion possible. But the Ali forks look very wimpy . I think they’ll need swapping out

What motor to put in ? Been a while since I had a front hub !

Suggestions please ? Happy to stick with 250w motors as this is a winter commuter but scope for speed limit removal (either by lcd or overvolting). 36v is a must as my other bikes run 36v and I swap batts around

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Search over !

Just picked up a Dynamic tempo , alfine 8 in top condition, rarely used with all original paperwork.

Feels great to ride and whisper quiet

Needs new bars, stem and a brake upgrade to hydro (all of which I have in the shed )

And then a conversion of course

Reactions: E-Wheels

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks good as the basis of the low maintenance commuter you want, and has the desired twin chainstays too.

I'm not up to speed on today's front hub motors but hopefully there'll be some suggestions coming in. You haven't mentioned the terrain or whether you're looking for light assistance or plenty of power?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Looks good as the basis of the low maintenance commuter you want, and has the desired twin chainstays too.

I'm not up to speed on today's front hub motors but hopefully there'll be some suggestions coming in. You haven't mentioned the terrain or whether you're looking for light assistance or plenty of power?
Hi flecc,

My commute is flat along the seafront (though winds can be fierce !) . I have a mtb mid drive for torque

This bike I am going for low assist, small hub

I’ve been pointed in direction of MXUS ytw-06 as the smallest but I’ve yet to fully measure up my options

And am still considering a fork change to 700c hybrid suspension fork

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
MXUS XF07?
YTW-06 has lower weight (-1kg) but it's an unnecessary trade-off where weight is not so important.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kirstin the YTW06 is a Xiongda purchased direct, no middle man.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
MXUS XF07?
YTW-06 has lower weight (-1kg) but it's an unnecessary trade-off where weight is not so important.
Sorry , that was a typo/error as Neal points out

It the xiongda ytw 06 which is significantly smaller than a q100

Advertisers