The Last Wisper Sneak Preview of the year. 12kg Road Bike

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Let’s take the analogy to cars.

Volvo was a traditional plodding company but with the purse of Geely they have moved their products into the premium sector.
Wisper, if it wants to expand, needs to move into other sectors with products as good or perhaps better than competitors with a competitive price point.

They have attacked the well established emtb market but on its own that will prove difficult. This “ambassador” product will showcase their intentions.

Follow this with state of the art “ordinary” bikes will see them elevated above their peers and pitch them against the bigger players.

Only problem may be advertising/ cash flow. But I’m not privy to those figures but assume David has crunched figures etc.

Wisper is proving its not sitting on their laurels but looking to grow.

Good luck.
There is a large market ready and waiting in Australia
Wisper........come on down!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Artstu, I’d not seen this motor before. I’ve written for details.

The reason Jeremy wanted the Fazua was the fact it can be completely removed in a matter of a few seconds, instantly converting the bike to a lightweight road bike.

Reactions: tillson and Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The reason Jeremy wanted the Fazua was the fact it can be completely removed in a matter of a few seconds, instantly converting the bike to a lightweight road bike.
Yes I was initially keen on the Fazua myself. In reality I just can't see the usefulness of being able to remove the motor, apart from if it needs replacing or repairing, the modular bottom bracket looks useful too, although that would depend on cost or ability to replace bearings.

I have a nice carbon racing bike that cost £850 (ish I think) and an e-bike that cost £1400 ish. For me if I wanted the with and without I'd buy a circa £1K road bike and £2K e-bike and still have lots of change.

Of course the Polini will currently really only easily work with their alloy frame integration mounting parts, although they could be replicated in carbon I guess.

It's that 250 w/h battery of the Fazua that lets it down for me and it must also be expensive given the cost of bikes that use it. edit, there's no lock on that battery and motor either I don't think?

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
There is a large market ready and waiting in Australia
Wisper........come on down!
Thanks, it has already been spotted by the owner of an ebike distributor in Gold Coast. We are in negotiations but I am confident it will be available by your summer.

All the best David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes I was initially keen on the Fazua myself. In reality I just can't see the usefulness of being able to remove the motor, apart from if it needs replacing or repairing, the modular bottom bracket looks useful too, although that would depend on cost or ability to replace bearings.

I have a nice carbon racing bike that cost £850 (ish I think) and an e-bike that cost £1400 ish. For me if I wanted the with and without I'd buy a circa £1K road bike and £2K e-bike and still have lots of change.

Of course the Polini will currently really only easily work with their alloy frame integration mounting parts, although they could be replicated in carbon I guess.

It's that 250 w/h battery of the Fazua that lets it down for me and it must also be expensive given the cost of bikes that use it. edit, there's no lock on that battery and motor either I don't think?
It’s not cheap, but when Jeremy tested the motor, he loved the fact that he could ride through the 25kph limit without hitting a huge motor drag wall. He also feels that for the people this bike is aimed at the weight is more important than the capacity of the battery.

The Wolverine C is very much more than just the motor though, the group set, wheels and frame are all top end. The slightly heavier alloy version is going to be sold at about £3,500

The lock, is an extra to us but included on the Wisper Wolverine price.

All the best David

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu
D

Deleted member 22539

Even thou I couldn’t be further away from the road bike scene I can appreciate this is a good looking bike
I Just hope it performs with or without assistance as well as it looks good

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but when Jeremy tested the motor, he loved the fact that he could ride through the 25kph limit without hitting a huge motor drag wall.
the speed limit has nothing to do with Fazua.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
This is why we think we are onto a winner. It explains just what the bike is for, we are about a kilo lighter and have a better groupset etc than the Pinarello. And I prefer Jeremy’s frame. Thanks Woosh!

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Fantastic looking bike David, I hope it turns out to be a big success for you. I think if you are successful in changing the law to enable the assisted speed to be increased to 20 mph, then I think it would sell extremely well.

I used to be a member of a roadie cycling club this was around 20 years ago, and most of our ride outs would be done at an average speed of 18 to 20 mph. I doubt if these kinds of speeds are slower nowadays, in fact the improvement in bike technology, nutrition and training advice available. I would imagine average speeds are even higher, so I think using a bike like this to got out with a local cycling club would be a struggle with the motor assistance cutting out at 15.5 mph.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think using a bike like this to got out with a local cycling club would be a struggle with the motor assistance cutting out at 15.5 mph.
I doubt it would struggle in most areas, the small extra weight would scarcely matter on the flat and downhills would be at least as fast, maybe slightly faster with the extra weight. On the uphills and into fierce headwinds it would be the winner every time.

In a completely flat area it would lose out of course.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I doubt it would struggle in most areas,
the Fazua hasn't got the torque of the Shimano E8000 Steps on the other Wisper E-MTBs.
BTW, David, would you have the e-mtbs in time to beat anti-dumping registration?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A STEPS bike would be a tank on a roadie ride.
the motor + gearbox weigh about the same (2.8KGs for the E8000), only the 500WH battery (2.65kgs) is heavier.
The Fazua gearbox: 1.31Kgs, motor 1.91kgs, battery 1.38kgs, total: 4.6kgs against 5.4kgs for the Steps E8000, 800g more but twice the battery capacity.
Size-wise, the Shimano battery is big but then the Fazua downtube also looks quite fat...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the motor + gearbox weigh about the same (2.8KGs for the E8000), only the 500WH battery (2.65kgs) is heavier.
The Fazua gearbox: 1.31Kgs, motor 1.91kgs, battery 1.38kgs, total: 4.6kgs against 5.4kgs for the Steps E8000, 800g for twice the battery capacity.
And the bikes weights and ride styles very different. However, still nothing whatsoever to do with the subject, which was comparing the Wisper Wolverine against unpowered roadie bikes on a roadie ride.

Who would try to use a STEPS Wisper then, they are mountain bikes so totally unsuited to the task?

• Agree

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I doubt it would struggle in most areas, the small extra weight would scarcely matter on the flat and downhills would be at least as fast, maybe slightly faster with the extra weight. On the uphills and into fierce headwinds it would be the winner every time.

In a completely flat area it would lose out of course.
It will be interesting to see how well the new motor decouples over the assist limit. That and any wattage loss due to the crank gearing. I think that will be the deciding factor in this scenario. If its only a few watts worth, it could be a winner!
I seem to remember Cube claiming it completely disengages which would be fantastic, but I didn't manage to find any detailed reviews of their bike to confirm.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
the small extra weight would scarcely matter on the flat
The club I was in, we would be doing 20 to 25 mph on the flat unless into a head wind. I would imagine most clubs are similar, would the type of person who can do that, buy a motor assisted road bike. I can't see why they would, they wouldn't need to.

My guess would be that if you can keep up with a group of cycling club roadies on a motor assisted road bike restricted to 15.5 mph assistance, then you probably don't need an assisted bike.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The club I was in, we would be doing 20 to 25 mph on the flat unless into a head wind. I would imagine most clubs are similar, would the type of person who can do that, buy a motor assisted road bike. I can't see why they would, they wouldn't need to.

My guess would be that if you can keep up with a group of cycling club roadies on a motor assisted road bike restricted to 15.5 mph assistance, then you probably don't need an assisted bike.
stick a dongle on one and you will **** all over them for 20 miles anyway you should see the look on the face when a 20kg fs mtb blasts past them on the road ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The club I was in, we would be doing 20 to 25 mph on the flat unless into a head wind.
Agreed, no point in flat country as I said. In hillier areas like the North Downs where I live, the roadie averages are more like the 18 to 20 mph you quoted and something like this Wisper would come into it's own.

Someone who is ageing a bit, able to keep with the rest on the flat but beginning to suffer on the climbs, could find that e-assist just what's wanted. Cytronex have been in this "hill assist" roadie market successfully for a decade now so such customers obviously exist.

Last edited:
  • Agree