The Last Wisper Sneak Preview of the year. 12kg Road Bike

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Careful, the Union Flag debate will start up again!

Maybe if we keep quiet about it KudosDave won't notice. ;)

Looks great though.
Thanks Tony, we are excited about launching at Eurobike next month.

That’s why I put “Designed in the UK”! Trying to be careful and not stir the Hornets next again. :eek:

All the best, David :)

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Tony, we are excited about launching at Eurobike next month.

That’s why I put “Designed in the UK”! Trying to be careful and not stir the Hornets next again. :eek:

All the best, David :)
That was the most fun we've had on here for years.

Almost as good as your Wisper Albino.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I’ll be posting all the details on our web site this afternoon.

The full carbon Wolverine as you see it has a 250Wh battery with Fazua mid drive motor, Ultegra Di2 8700 electronic gear set, Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes, full carbon wheels, continental tyres, through axels, FSA chain wheels and carbon cranks... basically all the good stuff. Target price £6,995 although it could sneak higher. 13kg.

The frame set will include frame, forks, motor and battery etc, FSA chain wheels / carbon cranks and carbon seat pin. Target price £3,895, so although not with all the top end gear one could build a superb eRoad for well under £5k.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Fantastic looking bikes, after spending just shy of £3k a couple of months ago on an electric assist mountain bike, I think I would end up in the divorce courts if I bought one of these terrific machines.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
It would appear that several manufacturers are looking to bring out very light eRoad bikes next year. I am not absolutely sure why though. If we take non assist road bikes then I can understand why people would want to make very light road bikes as it will give the riders an advantage over people with heavier ones and also be easier to ride faster up hills. When it comes to ebikes though does a lighter bike make that much difference as one has a motor to assist one up the hills?

So if we look at say the £7k bike you mentioned above and compared it with say a bike you said could be built for under £5k using your frame set, how much faster would the dearer bike be able to go over a set course (say 20 miles of rolling roads) with the same person riding it.

BTW I am not trying to be awkward here, I think your bikes look terrific I'm just wondering if weight advantages make that much of a difference when it comes to electrical assist bikes?

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It would appear that several manufacturers are looking to bring out very light eRoad bikes next year. I am not absolutely sure why though. If we take non assist road bikes then I can understand why people would want to make very light road bikes as it will give the riders an advantage over people with heavier ones and also be easier to ride faster up hills. When it comes to ebikes though does a lighter bike make that much difference as one has a motor to assist one up the hills?

So if we look at say the £7k bike you mentioned above and compared it with say a bike you said could be built for under £5k using your frame set, how much faster would the dearer bike be able to go over a set course (say 20 miles of rolling roads) with the same person riding it.

BTW I am not trying to be awkward here, I think your bikes look terrific I'm just wondering if weight advantages make that much of a difference when it comes to electrical assist bikes?
there is 1 massive problem with these bikes and it is the 15mph speed limit like how can you call a bike a racing bike that is restricted lol.

avg speed of a top end road bike with someone drugged up can avg 24mph so either way ur fooked ;)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
there is 1 massive problem with these bikes and it is the 15mph speed limit like how can you call a bike a racing bike that is restricted lol.
The 15.5 mph restriction is quite a problem, but provided the road is fairly flat and I am not riding into a strong wind then I am often riding around 17 or 18 mph on an eMountain bike. With less rolling resistance and better aero position of a racing bike, then I would imagine you could increase this by at least a couple of miles per hour.

20 years ago I could average just over 25 miles per hour for a 10 mile time trial (no drugs involved btw) and I was no where near the best rider in the two clubs I was a member of. With advances in technology and training I would think many club cyclists probably average around 27 or 28 mph over a 10 mile TT on a flat drag strip type course.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Artstu and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am not absolutely sure why though.
competition I guess. Even me, I feel strangely attracted to this thread albeit that CF bikes are not stuff that I know anything about.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Can anyone who has a better knowledge of physics (that shouldn't be difficult to find) help me out here with the following.

Lets say I free wheeled down a fairly steep hill and recorded the max speed I achieved during the descent. Lets say I then placed several lead weights into pockets in my clothing, which now meant I was now say 10kg heavier but with no added wind resistance. Would I now achieve a higher max speed during the descent assuming I had pushed off on the bike with equal force as the first descent.

I think intuitively on the second ride I will reach a higher max speed, if this is correct then does that mean with electrical assist bikes the lighter they are might mean you could actually end up being slower than a heavier bike when it comes to hills.

This is how I think this might be the case. Assume we have a big up and then down hill section and two racing bikes, one say 4 kg lighter than the other. On the way up each bike is ridden on max assist level and we go up at 15.5 mph assume we are not fit enough to ride up the hill un assisted.

On the way down the heavier bike will reach a higher max speed than the lighter one is my thinking correct here?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does a brick fall; faster than a feather, then you have the answer ;)

what you will run out of tho is gears if you want to add more power

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015