The Mystery Disappearance

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whatever happened to whistling? Those like myself of advanced years will remember when whistling was heard every day in many circumstances, workmen would routinely whistle as they worked and Snow White's seven dwarves even sang that as a song. Milkmen and other delivery people would whistle happily as they went about their business, boys often whistled tunes and even cyclists could be heard whistling as they rode. Their were even men whose stage act demonstrated their whistling prowess, Ronnie Ronalde for example.

But now I cannot remember how many years it is since I heard someone whistle, it's as if the ability has been lost.

In those long lost days when whistling was common there were those who were infuriated by it and no doubt many would hate its return, so maybe in posting this I'm risking its return.

• Agree
Reactions: D C and oldtom

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes whistling does seem to have been lost my dad was a whistler and I sporadically whistle at work and sometimes when out on the bike. Can't say I can whistle a tune a though.

D

Deleted member 4366

Whistling was caused by the smell of white dog **. When was the last time you saw any of that?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sorry flecc, but I cannot stand whistling, especially the random, no particular tune sort. If it ever became popular again, god forbid, I think I would have to invest in a pair of those noise cancelling headphones to be worn whenever I left the house for my own sanity and the well being of random whistlers!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Fairly recently I had to take a bus ride of about 10 miles. I sat a couple of seats back from the driver who whistled his way incessantly through a repertoire including pop, musicals and Jimmy Shand. At first it was amusing, if not entertaining, but by the time I got off I felt like telling him what he could do with his whistle :( Any further would have been hell. It was a long distance bus so I felt sorry for anyone travelling further.

Jim

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Not completely dead at my work, one young lad whistles quietly to himself while wearing headphones :confused: nobody know what tunes he's listening too ;)

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
There was generally less music around, not in shops or fired at you from every lift and waiting room. So music was more valuable, not just more noise. Also folk used to whistle popular tunes of the day. Have you ever tried to whistle a rap song or what today is, wrongly, called R&B?:eek:
I whistle when doing some nice piece of carpentry, a rare thing these days 'cos no-one wants to pay for skill and expertise. Or is it my whistling?:confused::(

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry flecc, but I cannot stand whistling, especially the random, no particular tune sort. If it ever became popular again, god forbid, I think I would have to invest in a pair of those noise cancelling headphones to be worn whenever I left the house for my own sanity and the well being of random whistlers!
I well understand that, I was never a whistler nor anyone in my family, but it seemed to be a half and half thing like Marmite. Half whistled, half detested it. As others have said it was probably the universality of music availability and impossibility of whistling later pop music that killed it.

It was hearing a mention of it in a Radio 4 program with some examples of whistling that reminded me of it's one time popularity and how it had vanished.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I would never condemn whistling to room 101, as I'm sure it brings the people that do it some sort of pleasure. There are much worse things in the world. Just imagine if yodeling became popular in work places and supermarket queues.:eek:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Despite a theoretically correct DNA I am allergic to bagpipes... :confused: Can't whistle and don't get me started on yodeling :eek:

Now that music from the 60's is rights free (in France under French law) the local supermarket plays Jimi Hendrix and The Doors :) that makes shopping a pleasure!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Ronnie Ronalde, singer and siffleur.

Very talented but I didn't like it then and don't like it now.
Maybe it will awaken childhood memories for a few of us.
Dave.

• Informative

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Ronnie Ronalde, singer and siffleur.

Very talented but I didn't like it then and don't like it now.
Maybe it will awaken childhood memories for a few of us.
Dave.
'Le petomane' is more to my taste:rolleyes:

Jim

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Whistling was caused by the smell of white dog **. When was the last time you saw any of that?
Funnily enough daughter's dog has been put on a special diet including lots of raw bone and the stuff you refer to has made a reappearance in our garden..There,s plenty on the Brexit thread too,normally labelled Tom.( or is it libelled Tom?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4366

Nicholas Lea-Trengrouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2018
UK
I can while three ways, blowing out, breathing in and through my tongue. Sign me up for Britain's Got Talent aye

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Advertisers