The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
well happyly folks thought they were pretty good at that time and were at the cutting edge of led bike lights .
all the component parts were the best available at the time and the machining for the cases/ mounts was done in the UK

We will see how much your lights will have cost you when you finally construct one you like .

no rip off I gave up to avoid the race to the bottom of the quality hill which china has beaten most manufacturing industries to.

Enjoy your tinkering as I still do and if you want some quality led drivers
www.taskled.com
lots of controlability and will monitor the battery voltages. and heat of the leds and dim down if too hot

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the led flash light drivers will be no good as i want hi output for hrs at a time so will be a case of how near the bin temp i can get them.

i have already built one and tested it just i shorted the power cable in the light.

these xhp70 leds will take some blowing tbh as i got it so hot the led fell off the pcb and used a frying pan and gas cooker to get it back in place lol.

the most expensive part is the led at £11.53 case 9 quid and my buck converter at 3 quid.

sure it will not look no where near as good as a 300 quid light but no bike lights use 12v xhp70 leds and if they did would cost a fortune.

https://www.lupine-shop.com/en/accessoires-and-parts/upgrade/1420/betty-tl2-upgrade-and-ar-frontcap

now that is 118 euro and the light with a batt is 899??? for what a case and a driver.

same with the batt there is not even no where 250 euros worth of parts in it and the cells cost 5 quid each x8.

thats 40 quid and 210 euro for a case and bms?

it just dont add up and 2 of my lights will be not far of 5000lm any way and i have a rf remote for them ;)

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
the led flash light drivers will be no good as i want hi output for hrs at a time so will be a case of how near the bin temp i can get them.

all the more reason to have a driver that can monitor the led and case temperature
and cool is your best friend with hi power leds output drops with rise of temp

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0626.JPG

just need it cut to a 28mm circle ;)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah thats the plan just i only have them for wood so will get a m8 to do it for me as have the right metal bits.

need to get a dremel multi tool and some bits if there any in the sale ;)

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
It's Aluminium so file it, put some heat sink compound between the two and away to go.

The only problem I see is clamping the LED star to the heat sink, unless you can drill the star and self tap it to the heat sink

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
full power will be at full speed why i have the rf remote so i can turn it up and down when needed.

was on the candle power forums and some are using the 6v version and dumping 6a in to there flash lights but what is the point as will last only mins with that much currant.

ill be happy if i can get a stable temp around 1800lm light out put wise.

anything is better than that shite cree light i have 6600lm my arse ;)

Reactions: mountainsport

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was pissed so did not matter much tbh got king of the mountain tho bridge to bridge 1.4 miles 4.11sec ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0631.JPG
;)

Reactions: trouty

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
I now have the headlight as reccommended by D8veh and it's quite remarkable - quick delivery too ordered just before Christmas and here it is.
Complete set up and even includes a head strap. Terrific controlable light with very useful functions and road coverage.

Reactions: VictoryV

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Thought I would also give one of these new lights a go. I already had a Bangood light which uses the same battery pack but the light unit is a bit bigger. It threw out an awful lot of light as well, but as my son needed a light I thought I would order the 'new best one', see which I preferred and give my son the other. It is indeed staggering how much light can come out of the new one given its diminutive size, but the obvious difference is that the new one has much better flood. The old one is far better in terms of spot distance but as a cycling light I think the new one will be better although I am yet to put it into practice. I also find the light colour is whiter than the old but this doesnt bother me. For hardcore off road work at high speed I reckon running both would be ideal but for myself I think the new one will be fine. I mount my battery up front on the top tube so there was loads of excess cable which I find irritating. To make a neater job of shortenting it I wanted to solder direct to the board rather than make a cut/splice so I took off the rear cap and carefully took out the driver board. All done now, and much neater when on the bike.

Only issue was that the packaging was poor, and my mains charger arrived with the plastic earth pin snapped off. Not a major problem as I can use my old charger but not ideal. I will pop the vendor an email.

Cheers d8veh, good find!

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0641.JPG

• Informative

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
full power will be at full speed why i have the rf remote so i can turn it up and down when needed.

was on the candle power forums and some are using the 6v version and dumping 6a in to there flash lights but what is the point as will last only mins with that much currant.

ill be happy if i can get a stable temp around 1800lm light out put wise.

anything is better than that shite cree light i have 6600lm my arse ;)

Soundwave, is your light fitted on the L or R of your handlebars? Why don't you try fixing it in the centre of the handlebars for equal vision. Correct me if I am wrong.

MS.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there will be 2 for around 4000lm @16w each light ;)