The options would drive you Emad......experienced multi bike owners input required

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
Hi folks,

As the title suggests, im going mad considering the options, so learned opinions of experienced ebike owners (thats owning more that one bike to avoid bias....) would be greatly appreciated.

So, 6ft 4, 19st heavy male fit, want to commute 19miles one way (so about 40mls daily) on mostly flat roads however one absolute beezer of a hill at the end ( 4mls of a hill rising 800 - 1000Ft). Have done it a few times on my hybrid but ready to fall asleep at lunch time! lol

Options down to;

Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500 - 23" if I can source it with the Bosch CX and 500W battery (Then apply dongle to derestrict for use in my own field.........)

or

Oxygen SCross MTB - with 250W rear hub motor and roughly 500w battery
36V 250w 8-Fun High Torque Brushless Motor (With the secret code applied as soon as I can get it out of the box)
http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-mtb#RuZ5TsLhAaaRtRax.99

Downside is the Oxygen only comes in the 19" frame which may be too small for me (33" inside leg)

So, whats your thoughts folks............any alternative suggestions also welcome...

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Option 1 .. and just use the power on the big hill. Keep in eco preferably, or tour if necessary the rest of the time, and you should have a bit of battery to spare.
If you use a lot of assistance with a dongle (hence using battery all the time) with your weight, and maybe a head wind you'd be on the margin at 40+ miles.....unless you can recharge at work.
Have you tried a Cube 21'' frame? I'm only 6'1'' but mine seems plenty big enough even if I was a couple of inches taller.
Good luck.
PS. That's with 29'' wheels.

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
Option 1 .. and just use the power on the big hill. Keep in eco preferably, or tour if necessary the rest of the time, and you should have a bit of battery to spare.
If you use a lot of assistance with a dongle (hence using battery all the time) with your weight, and maybe a head wind you'd be on the margin at 40+ miles.....unless you can recharge at work.
Have you tried a Cube 21'' frame? I'm only 6'1'' but mine seems plenty big enough even if I was a couple of inches taller.
Good luck.
Good man Tony, im sitting with my finger over the buy button lol.

Im assuming as the owner of both a rear hub conversion and the cube, you are recommending the Cube?

Yes Ive tried the 21", the online guys at Tredz recommended the 23" if I could get it for added comfort but Id agree with you and say the 21" is grand.

Yes I can recharge at work, ideally sitting around the 19 - 21 mph speed would be ideal and good craic....

I have alot of streight flat roads and was thinking the throttle (although illegal but you cant be completely legal all of the time...) would be handy to sit back and cruise along at speed....

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
No throttle Dave on the crank drive, but loads of hill climbing grunt on mine .. and that's with the 60nm torque. The CX has 75nm!!
So..no sitting back with a throttle..but a beautifully balanced bike that feels like a proper bike if you know what I mean...and it takes the p*ss out of those hills, but encourages you to put in effort yourself, which has to be good.
All in my opinion of course.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think you're a bit heavy to get the best out of the Oxygen. It's a good climber for people up to say 16 st, but 19st is too much.

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
I think you're a bit heavy to get the best out of the Oxygen. It's a good climber for people up to say 16 st, but 19st is too much.
Yea I think youre right d8veh. It just looked more "fun" when you take off the restrictions etc.

You seem to be a man enjoys maxing out the options on your bikes, with a dongle fitted to the bosch cx, and my commute, will I at least scare myself the odd time on the Cube?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks for your help and input folks.

Cube has been purchased....for better or worse.
Congrats.
Which size did you go for, and where from please. Im a similar size/height/build to yourself, and not sure whether the 21" or 24" would be best for me. I need to go try one.
Looking forward to reading any updates.

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
Hargroves

Went for the 21" , I tried this out at Chain Reactions before they put the kybosh on selling Ebikes in N Ireland.....its fine for 6ft 3/4

Next up, over to Tredz for a decent set of sealed bearing pedals.

Thinking ill put on a set of 700C commuting tyres to slim down a little and be able to fit on wrap around mudguards.

Then a dongle........(for the field).....

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Makes me wonder, if the 21" suits someone who is 6ft 3", there cant be too many people needing the 24" size?

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
Yes, it should do the job nicely. If it doesn't try disconnecting the brakes.
D8Veh, yes brakes off and blindfold....

Ive seen your previous posts you note the BadAss dongle is the job for derestricting the Bosch CX 2017. Would you still concour? (I also like their webpage, its good viewing..lol)

D

Deleted member 4366

Ive seen your previous posts you note the BadAss dongle is the job for derestricting the Bosch CX 2017. Would you still concour? (I also like their webpage, its good viewing..lol)
I prefer the ASA one now. It'd dead easy to fit and is completely hidden. It gives the correct speed on the display too. The Yamaha version of the Speedbox can be enabled/disabled from the light switch, which is also very handy.

DangerousDave79

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
Northern Ireland
I prefer the ASA one now. It'd dead easy to fit and is completely hidden. It gives the correct speed on the display too. The Yamaha version of the Speedbox can be enabled/disabled from the light switch, which is also very handy.
Will do. Ive also been considering changing the chain ring from a 15T to 20T, if I had the pedal arm cranked out for the ASA this would be an easy fit. Whats your thoughts?

Im thinking for long flat commutes (with the one big hill at the end/start) this would enable me to keep in the 22mph + range without having to pedal like the clappers?

Or should I split the differance and consider a lower teethed ring e.g. 18T?

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
D8Veh, yes brakes off and blindfold....

Behave .... just cause you've got a new bike. Enjoy :)