The true cost of an EMTB are they getting more or less expensive

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In 2013 I bought a Scott E-Aspect 910 from Ilkley Cycles for £3000..

Now in 2017 the latest Scott E-Aspect 910 in the same shop is £3500..

Taking into account Inflation, Brexit and the general price of fish.. Is this actually cheaper or dearer in real terms 4 years on?....

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

That represents about 4% increase p.a. If your disposable income went up more than that. it got cheaper. if it went up less than that, it became more expensive. That's the only thing that matters. what some old lady pays for her eggs or how much your neighbours foreign holiday cost is of no significance to you.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That represents about 4% increase p.a. If your disposable income went up more than that. it got cheaper. if it went up less than that, it became more expensive. That's the only thing that matters. what some old lady pays for her eggs or how much your neighbours foreign holiday cost is of no significance to you.
.... Don't you understand the concept of bragging rights ? It's all about relatively.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
In 2013 I bought a Scott E-Aspect 910 from Ilkley Cycles for £3000..

Now in 2017 the latest Scott E-Aspect 910 in the same shop is £3500..

Taking into account Inflation, Brexit and the general price of fish.. Is this actually cheaper or dearer in real terms 4 years on?....
£500 increase on 3 grand in four years !!!

If you think that is acceptable you are not living and working in the same world as me.

Ripoff is the word that comes to mind.

Now I am hearing the word "Frittering".

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
On slightly different take on it .if a person can get 4000 miles on a 2 grand bike 50p a mile and the bike has a second hand value as well.I dont how much it costs to charge a batt but its maybe no to bad.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
£500 increase on 3 grand in four years !!!

If you think that is acceptable you are not living and working in the same world as me.

Ripoff is the word that comes to mind.

Now I am hearing the word "Frittering".
Yes frittering! A personal reference made about me.
My views on money, life, and the value of "things" changed two years ago when my wife became ill and our plans for the future literally changed overnight. Now while I have come to terms with this in a financial way wife hasn't and considers my constant quest for new toys as frittering..
As for considering this £500 increase acceptable over 4 years .. I think it is! There is a massive difference between this year's offering and my original purchase and don't forget that most of the dealers have been moaning about price increases due to brexit! And, jumping to the next post with regard tovsecond hand values, i px'd it for the giant at 3 years old for £600 which some might argue is not a lot..
Second hand values are of interest and I have asked for a trade in value on my £4000 scott which is 6 months old, which I doubt will be an acceptable amount, even for a fritterer!
But back to my post..
I was just asking....

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Second hand value !

See the lovely Bosch All Mountain on the right, Chris and I were chatting with the owner on Sunday.

100 miles on the clock and the original receipt from the shop, he paid £2,600.

We both tried the bike and it's brand new.

Obviously the Hard Nine with custom sex rims and gold writing on the tyres is the stand out bike of the two. :rolleyes:
20170409_133711.jpg

Reactions: chris130256

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Second hand value !

See the lovely Bosch All Mountain on the right, Chris and I were chatting with the owner on Sunday.

100 miles on the clock and the original receipt from the shop, he paid £2,600.

We both tried the bike and it's brand new.

Obviously the Hard Nine with custom sex rims and gold writing on the tyres is the stand out bike of the two. :rolleyes:
View attachment 18640
Sorry but don't understand.. was it 2600 new?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I notice as well as price increase or staying the same ,the Cycle parts get lower end as there is always a higher spec bike for a lot more money for the years release.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
There are always good deals to be had though. I've just bought a 2017 Haibike but I would have saved myself 30%, approx £1000, by buying last years model instead of the 2017 version. I chose not to because I wanted the newer spec bike but if I was on a tighter budget I'd definitely be looking for a good deal on previous years models or ex demo bikes.

Last edited:

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
I would like the option of being able to buy just the frame with motor and battery so that I could build a bike to my own spec. Shopping around for parts could result in a higher spec'd bike at a lower cost?

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would like the option of being able to buy just the frame with motor and battery so that I could build a bike to my own spec. Shopping around for parts could result in a higher spec'd bike at a lower cost?
Could it be like a car tho.. the sum of the bits coming to a higher price than the whole.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
We are yet to see that in ebike market but it will come eventually. Likely to be same companies that do this normal bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Sorry I think that that is delusional. Only rarely do circumstances conspire that making a mass produced good as ,a one off with new parts is cheaper than buying the finished product. It happens occasionally in the pc market.
However The option of building your own customised unit from expensive parts is still open, but as a lower cost option no.
Just think of it ,in terms of stocking, recording and transporting inventory and the human costs of paying someone to do so. This is why a set of a few washers in B& Q can cost a few quid whereas they are ten a penny at an OEM

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Monoblock

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2016
The Haibike Allmtn has gone up to £6500 vs £5800 last year when I bought and returned mine,
I've moved to focus for the pro plus Jam2 (some time this month hopefully), some of the price jump is component upgrades but some of it is the pound, you have to keep in mind our currency buys 20% less than it did Pre-Brexit (I'm in the motor trade and Christ are cars going up - my world is corporate with premium brand sold with low margin so there is little fat on the bone to cut).
I think we have only a couple of years though before big price drops, a motor and a battery only retail for soo much, we are currently paying for R&D - I'm be surprised if the motors don't offer recuperation braking soon as well, they just have to get the weight balance so you are not engineering in more weight and therefore battery usage than the recouperarion gives you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers